Track Creation Brick Pack

Author Topic: Track Creation Brick Pack  (Read 3878 times)

We have ModTer which helps with creating terrain, and several Road packs, but I believe it would be pretty cool to see a Track Pack, which has several styles of paths for tracks, and other extra details for it, which could benefit track creation and make it way easier to work with.

A good example of this would be the game called Trackmania, which has a Track Creation mode that has a big list of blocks to use, varied from terrain, buildings, roads, checkpoints, start and finish line.

Here are some of the blocks I have in mind:
- Roads, curves, ramps, straight lines, intersections, anything that can be possible, there can be pillars too to turn the road into a bridge.

- Boost Blocks, roads that has a boost pattern, it gives a boost of speed on your car, great for jumps.

- Loops, proper loops that are smooth enough for the car to drive on without a problem.

- Wall Rides, by using the boost before hand, it could probably give the car enough speed to drive on the wall without falling, or maybe by not making it a perfect 90º sideways road

- Start and Finish Lines, Checkpoint and a Starting line that allows laps.

This one is more complicated but I believe it's possible, by adding a Start and finish line (or a circuit starting line for laps) the server detects it and it will only allow one of each to be placed by the same player, by having them placed in the server, it will automaticly detect that a race is there, to play it, the player can start a Minigame, and the starting line will work as a Spawn Brick, but also giving the player a vehicle, which can be selected by eventing that brick, the checkpoints can serve if the player falls off the track so he can get back to the action without having to go all the way back, The starting line could have the countdown lights built in.

Here's some extra ideas that I think it could make the track more alive.

- Billboards, a big rectangular brick that allows bigger prints to be added in, a pack of prints that can tell the player which direction to go or basicly just random adverts could come with the pack.

- Lap Counter Screen, a big screen that shows how many laps were made in the race

- Racetrack Walls, they could also fit the shape of the road.

- Random Props.

bump, I can get more references if anyone is interested.

if someone could post a concise, complete guide on how to make dts collisions and texturing bricks, that would go a long ways towards making this happen.

id give it a shot if i knew how to do either.

I believe the biggest issue regarding this request would be the 64x brick limit. A lot of bricks would be cool to have but would require segmentation. It doesn't make much sense to have a curve like in your first image stuck inside a 64x - that's tiny. Or loops, or tilted curves, anything really.
Which sucks, really, but there's no way around it, unless this could be enough justification for Badspot should lift that restriction, which I doubt anyway.

I believe the biggest issue regarding this request would be the 64x brick limit. A lot of bricks would be cool to have but would require segmentation. It doesn't make much sense to have a curve like in your first image stuck inside a 64x - that's tiny. Or loops, or tilted curves, anything really.
Which sucks, really, but there's no way around it, unless this could be enough justification for Badspot should lift that restriction, which I doubt anyway.
It's possible if you cut the curves in pieces that fits in the 64x brick limit and then place them together to form a full curve.

if someone could post a concise, complete guide on how to make dts collisions and texturing bricks, that would go a long ways towards making this happen.

id give it a shot if i knew how to do either.
Not sure if was Siba who figured out how to increase the collision limit or not

It's possible if you cut the curves in pieces that fits in the 64x brick limit and then place them together to form a full curve.
Not sure if was Siba who figured out how to increase the collision limit or not
That's what I meant with segmentation. Though that feels rightfully tedious to put together. It wouldn't be that easy to put tracks together anymore.

could just use a script to autoplace a set of bricks to make a big curve, and return overlap error if its not able to place

that way you dont spam up the brick menu

That's what I meant with segmentation. Though that feels rightfully tedious to put together. It wouldn't be that easy to put tracks together anymore.
Not if you set up the parts and separate them so you can duplicate it to build a track.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 08:16:43 AM by Filipe »

The loop will require segmentation not only for brick size limit but also for the complex of .dts collision shapes. I can give it a shot and see how it goes.

dangit now I hafta look at trackmania
curse you filipe

Here's my rough attempt at making loop-hoop track.. not quite right yet but it's getting there.

It needs to be more round and less blocky.

This, if possible of course

Of course... that was my first attempt at making a loop, here's my second attempt:

The next tricky part is to figure out the collision and test it in-game. This is the size of a whole 64x cube by the way. The track width is 32x.

This looks interesting. Did you make the loop by starting with a disc/donut-shaped-thing and disconnecting the vertices at the bottom middle and moving it to the side?