Author Topic: Track Creation Brick Pack  (Read 3943 times)

What's the polycount on that? and good luck on the collision mesh for that.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 05:22:50 AM by UnRegistered »

This looks interesting. Did you make the loop by starting with a disc/donut-shaped-thing and disconnecting the vertices at the bottom middle and moving it to the side?
it looks like a cut cylinder (to make it a tube) and then edge-split the bottom edge, then shifting each set of vertices over repeatedly one unit at a time, each time removing another ring of vertices from the moved selection.
the only thing that gets me is the exact alignment on the bottom edge which probably is him doing some math or something.

it looks like a cut cylinder (to make it a tube) and then edge-split the bottom edge, then shifting each set of vertices over repeatedly one unit at a time, each time removing another ring of vertices from the moved selection.
the only thing that gets me is the exact alignment on the bottom edge which probably is him doing some math or something.
Yeah, that's actually what I meant...

What's the polycount on that? and good luck on the collision mesh for that.

296 vertexs, 120 faces total. It looks high poly because I smoothed the faces.

Haha, Blender has a modifier called "Screw" and it does exactly what it says, it makes a screw out of things. More info HERE

296 vertexs, 120 faces total. It looks high poly because I smoothed the faces.

Haha, Blender has a modifier called "Screw" and it does exactly what it says, it makes a screw out of things. More info HERE

Ah, I forgot about that feature.

Of course... that was my first attempt at making a loop, here's my second attempt:

The next tricky part is to figure out the collision and test it in-game. This is the size of a whole 64x cube by the way. The track width is 32x.
This reminds me of This video

Will you be able to make it's own roads as well with banks too? And will this be compatible with Sido's roads?

Just thinking about how I'd make these bricks...  It looks like alot of work.

You can make bricks which look like they're larger than they are, but all collision shapes must be entirely within the bounds of the brick.  I made a large, static table which was actually a 2x2 brick.  I haven't tried going larger than a 64xcube, but you might be able to make a brick that looks like it's a 256x64 piece of track, but isn't.  Like Conan said, when placed it would place multiple bricks.

I make collision shapes for bricks using Blender 2.49b.  Which is to say I export shapes from the latest version of Blender as .obj files and import them into 2.49b to be reexported as .dts shapes.

A complete brickmaking tutorial, and a tool for defining brick-grid collision would speed this project along.

I am interested in making a brick-grid collision tool, if no one else makes it.

Oh, I remembered.  I fixed Support_LegacyDoors so that JVS doors don't have a colliding ghostbrick.
Support_LegacyDoors makes a staticshape datablock which uses the door's .dts shape file.  The staticshape is then created when the brick is planted, and moved to the location of the brick.  The bricks themselves do not have collision shapes, just a staticshape that is linked to the brick so that when the brick is deleted, the staticshape is also removed.  So maybe you could do something similar for these track bricks.  I don't think these staticshapes are limited to the bounds of the brick they're linked to.  So you could probably make them whatever size you want.

...  with that in mind you could skip the brick-grid thing entirely.  Just make all of the track bricks 2x2 cubes with extra large meshes which extend outside of their bounds, and then do the collision for them using staticshapes.  HackPlant, FloatingBricks, or the New Duplicator's Forceplant would make them easy to place wherever you want them. ... it's not exactly professional but it would probably work.

The problem with static shapes is that it's collision detection is awful with vehicles, the cars usually no clip through the static shape if you even drive slightly fast, you can test that with the static shape maps add-on, that is if you find a solution for that somehow.

Would TSStatic objects work a bit better? idk.
I have the feeling Staticshapes, TSStatic objects, and brick collision boxes are all about the same.

If none of those are good, there's still the crouch-racer playertype.  I've never clipped through anything with that.

This is off topic for a brick pack, but if the collision is hopeless and you still want to make an awesome map for vehicles with loop-de-loops, you could try going back to v20 and making actual Maps.  What was the object called, .dif?  The collision on those maps was he best I've seen in Blockland.

What it could be done is split the bricks in parts that fits in the 64x limit and then snap them together