Author Topic: Grapple Arena Deathmatch  (Read 2627 times)

About

So, I got back into playing this game and I had this overwhelming urge to host something, anything, and with all the creative energy I mustered up, this is the best I could come up with. Sigh...

It's a Grapple Knife TDM with laser guns instead. I tried to make it look as unique as I could from every other Knife TDM on the market right now, and even then I kinda winged it. I think it turned out alright.

As for gameplay, you start with a Grapple Rope and a pretty standard laser gun. On the white platforms around the center one are a few better laser guns and on the center one is a laser sniper capable of a one shot kill to the head. I might add more in the future if this isn't a total flop.

Screenshots

Everything by me. I'm hosting this right now if you wanna check it out. Rate if you want.

one thing that would make this perfect is if the Laser A emitter in the corners corresponded with the team colors.

otherwise, i love the map's style, looks really cool. keep it up.

one thing that would make this perfect is if the Laser A emitter in the corners corresponded with the team colors.
They do

They do
I think he meant with the center platform

which, hodot, I did try, and the emitters themselves looked cool, but it looked dumb on the sides, since they emit from the neon lights on the sides of the platforms

with all the creative energy I mustered up, this is the best I could come up with

Can you people not even TRY to make an arena that isnt the standard flat platforms stuff? I think I've seen one where it was a large pillar in the middle surrounded by rings of grassy marble, everything else has been exactly what you posted with a different platform duped all around.

So good job, you posted some duped platforms, not a whole lot to look at.

Can you people not even TRY to make an arena that isnt the standard flat platforms stuff? I think I've seen one where it was a large pillar in the middle surrounded by rings of grassy marble, everything else has been exactly what you posted with a different platform duped all around.

So good job, you posted some duped platforms, not a whole lot to look at.

i'm not really concerned about originality or effort, and i thought i made it clear i'm not really proud of the fact that this is the best i could do

i just wanted to be able to host a fun little dm with friends

and frankly, even though i recycled the platforms idea, i still think it looks kinda unique

don't get so worked up because it's not that original. :/

the platforms look cool

that's all that can be said

Out of curiosity are you able to fall through the middle or are there collision bricks there

Out of curiosity are you able to fall through the middle or are there collision bricks there
you can walk on them but they don't have raycasting

i'm not really concerned about originality or effort, and i thought i made it clear i'm not really proud of the fact that this is the best i could do

i just wanted to be able to host a fun little dm with friends

and frankly, even though i recycled the platforms idea, i still think it looks kinda unique

don't get so worked up because it's not that original. :/
the problem with this is there's absolutely nothing interesting about it, not even the layout

you could've made them into a ring, had more emphasis on verticality, added cover, paths, areas to actually use the grapple hook for more than just saving yourself, etc, but instead it's the standard "square with colored platforms" that's been done to death and at this point has not even a smidgen of originality or "uniqueness"

the problem with this is there's absolutely nothing interesting about it, not even the layout

you could've made them into a ring, had more emphasis on verticality, added cover, paths, areas to actually use the grapple hook for more than just saving yourself, etc, but instead it's the standard "square with colored platforms" that's been done to death and at this point has not even a smidgen of originality or "uniqueness"
Save it for the people who are actually trying to make something that stands out from the others of its kind, because I'll be the first to admit that I don't have the creative capacity for that. I guess I didn't make that clear enough in the OP. I couldn't have possibly came up with anything you said, because I'm not a creative person. Plus, it's my first server after like 2 years, so I've lost whatever little grasp I previously had for how to make things pop. I struggled back then and I struggle with it now. It's nothing special, I get it, get off my ass about originality. I don't see why that should stop me from showing it off in Gallery.

I made because I just wanted something to host. I threw a quick, okay looking arena together and designed a basic mini game around it. Okay, it functions, so I can host it. That's literally all I cared about with this, just a basic DM for some cheap fun and socialization. It's simple, it looks alright, and most of all, it works, and that's good enough for me.

Save it for the people who are actually trying to make something that stands out from the others of its kind, because I'll be the first to admit that I don't have the creative capacity for that. I guess I didn't make that clear enough in the OP. I couldn't have possibly came up with anything you said, because I'm not a creative person. Plus, it's my first server after like 2 years, so I've lost whatever little grasp I previously had for how to make things pop. I struggled back then and I struggle with it now. It's nothing special, I get it, get off my ass about originality. I don't see why that should stop me from showing it off in Gallery.

I made because I just wanted something to host. I threw a quick, okay looking arena together and designed a basic mini game around it. Okay, it functions, so I can host it. That's literally all I cared about with this, just a basic DM for some cheap fun and socialization. It's simple, it looks alright, and most of all, it works, and that's good enough for me.
but nothing i said takes a creative person to make
i didn't say make a spiraling gothic tower with zeppelins and dragons flying around i said to make it not a square
you asked for a rating and my rating is "just make it a circle"

if you didn't want the map to be the main focus of the thread then you should've posted it in general discussion with more details on the server, because this is all you can get for praise on the map itself:
the platforms look cool

that's all that can be said
i'm not even trying to be rude, there's just nothing else to say about it

but nothing i said takes a creative person to make
i didn't say make a spiraling gothic tower with zeppelins and dragons flying around i said to make it not a square
you asked for a rating and my rating is "just make it a circle"

if you didn't want the map to be the main focus of the thread then you should've posted it in general discussion with more details on the server, because this is all you can get for praise on the map itself:i'm not even trying to be rude, there's just nothing else to say about it
Yeah, maybe Gallery wasn't the place for this. Not that I care enough to make a new topic, but you're right. Also, I'll probably improve this map one day, like make it bigger, more vertical, less square shaped, and more cosmetically eye-catching, like a big cauldron like structure around the arena with a shark pit at the bottom or something, and maybe some interactive elements, like explosive barrels or structures you can toggle with a button, plus cover. I might play around with other playertypes too, and design the map more around that for interesting gameplay.

Except, I have a really bad motivational engine and I dunno when I'll get around to it. Also, when I said I couldn't think of the different things you said, I kinda lied. Basic FPS map design elements like cover and verticality did cross my mind, I'm just so lazy and I didn't know to apply those things in a way that looks good. I just wanted a starting point, and maybe it was best to hold off on posting this until the map was better. I couldn't respond to your feedback beyond "this is nothing new or interesting," that just hit me kinda hard, but, you have my apology for that. I guess all I can really do is improve from this.

"Can you people not even TRY to make an arena that isnt the standard flat platforms stuff? I think I've seen one where it was a large pillar in the middle surrounded by rings of grassy marble, everything else has been exactly what you posted with a different platform duped all around.

So good job, you posted some duped platforms, not a whole lot to look at."

This Is Still Merely An Expansion Of The Typical Platform Based GKTDM, Only With Differing Shapes.

The Situation Of Most GKDMs Is brown townogous To That Of CityRPG Games.

If You Want Originality, You Should Create A New Core Concept Altogether.

"Can you people not even TRY to make an arena that isnt the standard flat platforms stuff? I think I've seen one where it was a large pillar in the middle surrounded by rings of grassy marble, everything else has been exactly what you posted with a different platform duped all around.

So good job, you posted some duped platforms, not a whole lot to look at."

This Is Still Merely An Expansion Of The Typical Platform Based GKTDM, Only With Differing Shapes.

The Situation Of Most GKDMs Is brown townogous To That Of CityRPG Games.

If You Want Originality, You Should Create A New Core Concept Altogether.

Thats a really loving handicapped opinion

What is wrong with improving a gamemode alot of people seem to like? I'm not one of them and so I don't frequent the servers a whole lot, by why can't you just try making a different map every once in a while and seeing if people like it? It would provide something different for the people playing, and who knows you might even make one they like more