You can't turn off Cortana in the Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Author Topic: You can't turn off Cortana in the Windows 10 Anniversary Update  (Read 2226 times)

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3100358/windows/you-cant-turn-off-cortana-in-the-windows-10-anniversary-update.html

if you don't want windows 10, get this: http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/
it's what i'm using and fully prevents it from even entering your system.

this is inexcusable. removing google, and now this.

i don't see what the problem with Cortana is? hasn't bugged me unless i clicked on the icon

i don't see what the problem with Cortana is? hasn't bugged me unless i clicked on the icon
every now and then, it'll spontaneously activate and steal focus from my active window

i should be able to disable features i'm not going to use.
it completely prevents you from using vanilla search altogether.
why would ANYONE think that's a good idea?

constantly running mic and keypress records

also ass slow at running file/local program searches cause it always attempts to check the internet too whenever you try to run any search through it.

granted, both can be fixed/replaced as described in the pcworld article, but forcing people to accept cortana is a bad idea - if people dont want to use it, there's something wrong with it, not people being obstinate. for me, its how incredibly slow it is compared to say windows 7 file/program search which 1) doesnt have input lag (on mid-lower end computers and laptops) and 2) doesnt take like 10-20 seconds to figure out the majority of things you might be looking for

constantly running mic and keypress records

also ass slow at running file/local program searches cause it always attempts to check the internet too whenever you try to run any search through it.

granted, both can be fixed/replaced as described in the pcworld article, but forcing people to accept cortana is a bad idea - if people dont want to use it, there's something wrong with it, not people being obstinate. for me, its how incredibly slow it is compared to say windows 7 file/program search which 1) doesnt have input lag (on mid-lower end computers and laptops) and 2) doesnt take like 10-20 seconds to figure out the majority of things you might be looking for
This
THis so much
I did manage to hide Cortana from my task bar but I wish I could disable Cortana entirely
BTW, if you wanna hide cortana from your task bar
right click your taskbar, go to the cortana menu and click "Hidden"

cortana is basically bonzi buddy except this time they tell you they're spying on you

Mine has been turned off for months and I update regularly. wut

PC runs smooth as ever too.

only reason i hadnt turned off cortana entirely yet is cause i didn't have a quick program/file search option but now that i do thanks to the pcworld article im ditching it. theres a way iirc, just google it i guess

theres also multiple tools you can use to block updates on the grounds it breaks your computer or something, including an official one by microsoft. forgot exactly where i got it but it's basically an exe that you run that checks for the latest updates and lets you select which one to "hide" aka block until you manually unhide it

Mine is turned off?
Mine has been turned off for months and I update regularly. wut
Microsoft made an interesting decision with Windows 10’s Anniversary Update, which is now in its final stages of development before it rolls out on August 2.

Almost everybody freaking out over nothing, and Cortana will likely still be able to be disabled if you don't wish to use it after the Anniversary Update.

This is just more Windows knicker-twisters being cunts as per usual. Let's just wait for McZealot to jump in here and cry foul.

it should be fairly easy to disable with a registry tweak

Holy stuff, I saw the last paragraph describing how people should jump ship to Linux. What loving handicaps run this site? I've never known PC World to be run by twats until now.