Windows 10 free update ends in 33 hours. Should I get it?

Author Topic: Windows 10 free update ends in 33 hours. Should I get it?  (Read 1558 times)

/title. Please explain in the comments why I should or shouldn't get it.

on one hand, people say it enhances their experience, i think someone's said it's more user-friendly or something, it's improved some performance on programs, some stuff about direct x12, overall good things, start menu too if you're big about that thing

on the other hand, it's still pretty buggy, ( https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=300615.msg9170635#msg9170635 ), people reporting stuff using up 100% of their disk, their computers slowing down, performance being worse, programs/things getting corrupted/becoming incompatible after upgrading (rare though iirc), advertisements being put up in places they shouldn't be (i.e. start menu), and if you're a tinfoil hatter there's a lot of criticism about user privacy in windows 10 but i think most of it is optional

also, if you use it, they get rid of these features from the calculator;

No. It has terrible issues with compatibility, lessening customizability, almost inescapable ads, and just in general isn't good on a desktop/laptop.

From my experience, it's made for handicaps and tablet users. Which I am neither.

Get it, it works really well and the privacy issues are nothing to worry about.

Like I said before if your parts are compatible then it's highly recommended.

If not, then don't upgrade because it will be a nightmare.

No. It has terrible issues with compatibility, lessening customizability, almost inescapable ads, and just in general isn't good on a desktop/laptop.

From my experience, it's made for handicaps and tablet users. Which I am neither.

I can say without even a single shred of doubt that I have not encountered any such issues in my year of using Windows 10.

My experience has been fine so far, I find it satisfactory, like XP was to me. I think it's better than Windows 8. Any compatibility issues I've had, like with old games such as Deus Ex and Fallout Tactics, I already experienced problems with on Windows 8, and the solutions to those incompatibilities work in the same way.

I'm not sure how it compares to Windows Vista or 7, since I never tried those out.

the upgrade from 8-10 has improved performance on software like games and stuff

I can't see Windows 10 as anything other than an upgrade to Windows 7. I don't feel like I've lost anything but I feel like there are plenty of things which I have gained such as the notification centre (love being able to just see my emails and get desktop notifications no matter what I'm doing).

Honestly I'd heartily recommend upgrading to Windows 10 just for the ability to scroll in windows that aren't actually selected. Makes having a secondary monitor so much more useful than it was when I tried it in Windows 7.

go at it. install shutup10 to disable microsoft snooping on you

Yes
Got it from day 1. Much faster than windows 7, Much better than windows 8 and never had a problem since I installed it.

the upgrade can be a hit-or-miss kinda thing. apparently issues following the upgrade process are common, but fresh installs work fine. upgrading on my old PC was a hassle because i just could not get my graphics drivers to stop crashing no matter what i did, but no such problems now

that being said, now that i actually have it running on new hardware, i'm super happy with it. also the anniversary update adds native bash to windows, amongst other things, which is awesome. edge apparently now has extension support which was one of the main problems people had with it
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 12:59:30 PM by otto-san »

just make sure to back up your files just in case. you can run into some problems booting up after upgrading sometimes depending on your drivers/programs, or if your computer is an absolute toaster

it gave me shaders cause it forced an Intel graphics driver update, so im quite happy about that.

win 10 broke my pc like 5 or 6 times. i had to the harddrive a few times. eventually i upgraded my motherboard (and proccessor, ram, gpu) and that let it work. It was a processor incompatibility issue. https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=299009.0

So, don't believe the updater. What worked for me was calling up my PC manufacturer, and asking if I could upgrade safely. So call whoever built your PC and tell them what you have, and they should be able to tell you with a lot more accuracy if you can upgrade.