Author Topic: I got *unbanned* from a game that I backed (E-Mail from the Dev Pg.2)  (Read 2606 times)

There is this game called Drift Stage, it's a game that is in development and I backed it a few months ago, but lately I've noticed something kinda fishy about it.

When you back a game on Kickstarter or Pre-Order to play the beta earlier you'd expect that the developers will focus on it and let people informed with new information about it's development in atleast sort of a frequent matter right? Well not in here, I've noticed that the people involved in it are way more busy with merchandising and selling products themed about the game than the game itself, Vinyls containing only two or three musics of the game, T-Shirts, posters, stickers and other things, you can see that on their twitter and facebook pages frequently.

https://mobile.twitter.com/driftstagegame

https://m.facebook.com/driftstagegame/

And when they decide to post something new about the game, it's screenshots of the same map and often same vehicles as usual, I tried the backer demo, did I mention that it's almost two years that they're working on this and the alpha still have one map?

So I decided to post about it on their forums

http://discuss.driftstagegame.com/t/more-focus-on-the-game-itself-please/3054/1
some people agreed and others don't, and the developer came in and banned me up to April 22, 2017 for "abusing against the dev team" since when anything on my topic attacked anyone involved specifically or even the game itself?

Anyway, I'm just curious what do you guys think about this issue, am I wrong for pointing that out or that developer got out of hand? Also I'm completely fine about the creators of a game selling products to help financing it further, but when that takes more focus than the game itself is the real issue.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 02:25:18 PM by Filipe »

What a bunch of horse stuff, I hate it when devs ban you off their forums or game when you consult them about what they've been doing recently after development progress hasn't been happening for a while. But what they banned you for is loving stupid, btw how much money did you give to them?

15 dollars.

At least it wasn't 40 dollars or more, still feel bad for you for backing it though cause it sounds like it won't come out for a long time.

You're definitely not in the wrong, I think the developer is. You're their customer and they should listen to people who respectfully criticize the game, instead of calling it "abuse" and then banning that person. This is why I never back projects regardless of if I like it or not as they always seem to go wrong in some way. They're spending more time on the merch than the game itself.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 06:47:28 AM by Gum »

After reading through the thread, I'm supporting you without a doubt. The CEO sounds a like whiny, lying cunt who is just trying to cover his tracks. They're probably the kind of person who would use Copyright Strikes to remove negative feedback videos about their game on YouTube.

If you can't get a refund over this, I'm real sorry.

The end is pretty bs, saying that you're lying that you don't have alpha access and then saying he won't put up with slander on his team.

This is usually the problem with kickstarter games, half of them will go wrong somehow.

The end is pretty bs, saying that you're lying that you don't have alpha access and then saying he won't put up with slander on his team.

This is usually the problem with kickstarter games, half of them will go wrong somehow.
The funny thing is I didn't even barely mention the team itself I just pointed out how the merchandising took the spotlight, I also posted screenshots of the game in a topic there so I don't get how they came up with how I don't have the Alpha while it's obvious that I do, that's why I have an account in that forum in the first place.

Honestly if I was on his position I'd listen to negative feedback and reply like a normal person so the development team and the community can work together to improve the game for most people, especially if such forum is limited to only Beta users, not "I'LL BAN YOU FOR ABUSING AGAINST OUR TEAM"
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 07:15:06 AM by Filipe »

Quote from: Delko
I will not condone slander and abuse of my team, or my company on the
community forums that we host and maintain at our own expense. I'm
handing out account suspensions and bans to any poster, backer or
otherwise, who attempts to discredit or defame any of the games team, or
users of this forum.

did the guy just straight-up purge the entire thread?  ask for a refund jesus christ

The response was exceedingly heavy handed and hardly relates to the situation at all.

I think one of the biggest issues with Indie/Crowdfunded games is that a number of developers are exceedingly sensitive to any form of criticism and they quickly take to reading things as abuse/personal attacks. We only have to look as far as Phil Fish or Chucklefish in their over the top reactions to criticism.

The only thing I would say that you did wrong was that some of your language was quite demanding. In the future I would refrain from saying to any developer that "we need" something. This sort of language makes you sound entitled, which puts people off, and can push developers into the defensive state where they aren't likely to actually engage with the communities issues/opinions.

But none of that defends the gross emotional overreaction that caused your suspension.
This is why Indie teams often need a good Community Manager, who is detached from the development, and can pleasantly address (or not address) the community as necessary.

you got scammed dude. this is the exact same stuff that happened with mighty no 9

I think one of the biggest issues with Indie/Crowdfunded games is that a number of developers are exceedingly sensitive to any form of criticism and they quickly take to reading things as abuse/personal attacks. We only have to look as far as Phil Fish or Chucklefish in their over the top reactions to criticism.
oh god this is just the worst thing

The only thing I would say that you did wrong was that some of your language was quite demanding. In the future I would refrain from saying to any developer that "we need" something. This sort of language makes you sound entitled, which puts people off, and can push developers into the defensive state where they aren't likely to actually engage with the communities issues/opinions.
Yeah I'd figured just now such language can be too much for some developers.

usually i can get behind the idea that if someone is trying to rally people for More Updates or Better Gameplay or something like that they're just entitled and should be ignored, but going back over the twitter posts i completely agree, this is someone who built a game not to actually sell a game but to sell merchandise of the game. they're practically selling an aesthetic at this rate

like its actually way worse cause your post isnt really that bad (especially compared to other people in the same topic) because you're just asking to get your game, instead of getting everything but a game

but unfortunately you seem to have backed a hype machine
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 09:59:24 AM by Bushido »

I'd recommend you get the word out about this douche by wording this a little more concisely and posting to /r/PCMasterRace, /r/Gaming, or maybe /r/DriftStage.