Author Topic: [NEWS] German Interior Minister calls for the partial banning of the burqa  (Read 634 times)

1. Who the forget uses msn
2. Well stuff...

i'm not sure how i feel about this
im gonna say i feel this is a good decision but will ultimately lead to more islamic terrorism
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 07:48:11 PM by Daswiruch »

Well it's about time someone finally realized that the burqa is oppressive to women, even though it's a religious thing. We live in a modern society and this kind of stuff should've been gone a long time ago.

Well it's about time someone finally realized that the burqa is oppressive to women, even though it's a religious thing. We live in a modern society and this kind of stuff should've been gone a long time ago.

now let's tell people what they can/can't wear

yeah duno how i feel about this

"...we agree that we want to introduce a legal requirement to show one's face in places where it is necessary for our society's coexistence -- at the wheel, at public offices, at the registry office, in schools and universities, in the civil service, in court,"

this sounds vaguely reasonable if it's just for like identification purposes, but it's a tough game to play. i'd be fine if it were just saying that you need to have your full face on photo ID and on record, but if they're just saying you're not allowed to have them at all in those places that's a bit weird

well this isn't really done under the banner of women's rights, it's supposed to be anti-terrorist policy (whether or not it makes sense in that context is a different topic). basically my deal is just let people wear whatever the forget they want, if a woman doesn't want to wear a burqa then they shouldn't be compelled to, and if they do want to, then they have every right to do that as well. it's oppressive in general to dictate what people should look like, and in this particular case, you're playing with religious obligations as well, which makes it double-sketchy.

the ban isn't completely about the oppressive behavior, considering that it's a cultural thing more than anything else. i don't care if a woman wears a burqa honestly, but you should have to take it off for security reasons and identification.

now let's tell people what they can/can't wear
that's not what this ban is about.

but that's what it's doing

the article does seem to indicate that people would be actually forbidden from wearing a burqa in certain places, so that does seem to be what it's about, even if it's supposed to achieve a larger goal. if it's just for identification purposes, wouldn't it be enough to just say you have to show your face when you're being identified?

the article does seem to indicate that people would be actually forbidden from wearing a burqa in certain places, so that does seem to be what it's about, even if it's supposed to achieve a larger goal. if it's just for identification purposes, wouldn't it be enough to just say you have to show your face when you're being identified?
We don't let people wear motorcycle helmets in banks/courts, even if they were to reveal their face to security.

We don't let people wear motorcycle helmets in banks/courts, even if they were to reveal their face to security.
tru enough, security footage and eyewitness account is also an important tool in investigation. a blanket policy against items that cover the face would probably make more sense
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 08:14:38 PM by otto-san »