Poll

How is salvation achieved?

Salvation is only for those of faith in a specific church that is the body of Christ.
Salvation is by faith alone, however genuine faith shows good works and/or repentance.
Salvation is by faith alone, and faith does not show and/or require works.
Salvation is by faith and good works.
Salvation is through faith and repentance only.
Salvation is achieved through other means.

Author Topic: Christianity Megathread  (Read 20213 times)

what's the basis for genesis and whatnot? how could man know how the world was created?

I think the traditional/common understanding is that God told/showed Moses what to write while he was up on the mountain.

I think the traditional/common understanding is that God told/showed Moses what to write while he was up on the mountain.

hearsay is inadmissible in court :)

also that flowchart is missing physicalism, the belief that only things that physically exist are real (i.e. no spirits, souls, "mind energy" or similar)
to put it another way, meaning is found in physical reality

related dogmas: realism, materialism, empiricism, rationalism

what's the basis for genesis and whatnot? how could man know how the world was created?
the thing that bugs me is that what's written in the bible and what's empirically measured are incompatible
which means either the measurements are wrong (by many orders of magnitude), the bible is wrong, or significant parts of the bible must be interpreted as metaphor
the former is unreasonable, the second won't fly with christians, and the third reduces the importance of the bible significantly
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 12:02:23 AM by TristanLuigi »

Oh, I didn't know we had any Orthodox Christians here.  Who is that?
It's interesting seeing a greater number polling for Orthodox than Roman Catholic.

I've added a podcasts, theology, and additional Bible study information in the resources section, but I would be glad to include additional relevant information and/or additional categories upon request. I've also added Reasonable Faith on the "Apologetics" list.

If anyone has ideas for a new poll or new polls, let me know. I would like to see more discussion and I hope these new additions give the atheists / agnostics and the theists alike that debated in this thread some material to think about and discuss.

Add none/not christian and non-denominational to the poll if you can
Because there are a lot of people here who are like that.

has the flamewar started yet? i think it has...

I've added a podcasts, theology, and additional Bible study information in the resources section, but I would be glad to include additional relevant information and/or additional categories upon request. I've also added Reasonable Faith on the "Apologetics" list.

If anyone has ideas for a new poll or new polls, let me know. I would like to see more discussion and I hope these new additions give the atheists / agnostics and the theists alike that debated in this thread some material to think about and discuss.

Another really great site that has pod casts and other sorts of media is Reasons To Believe, which is a group that seeks to show that the Bible and scientific discoveries agree, rather than contradict.
Their stuff is really interesting even just on the scientific side of things, since many of their speakers know their stuff.

has the flamewar started yet? i think it has...

You have no idea what flaming is

I'm looking into it and it seems like it has many authors which wrote stories and revised upon each other. No Moses.

god looked at the rock on the mountain pointed at it and went "pbbpttptpbpbpt" with his finger and the ten commandments were birthed

I'm looking into it and it seems like it has many authors which wrote stories and revised upon each other. No Moses.

Read up on that as well.
Seems like a rather shaky hypothesis to me.

Kudos for actually researching the topic though. Most people (including a lot of Christians, unfortunately) don't usually bother.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 01:11:54 AM by ArmyUnit »

Another really great site that has pod casts and other sorts of media is Reasons To Believe, which is a group that seeks to show that the Bible and scientific discoveries agree, rather than contradict.
Their stuff is really interesting even just on the scientific side of things, since many of their speakers know their stuff.
Thank you for the suggestion, which has been added to the apologetics section.

I'm bumping the thread and I am going to add a new poll on churchgoing.
Let's see if we can get more discussion going. I could probably answer a minute amount of atheist or theological questions tomorrow.

The last poll results:
Orthodox: 4
Roman Catholic: 2
Protestant: 12