What computer viruses did you guys get once?

Author Topic: What computer viruses did you guys get once?  (Read 3309 times)

something got deep in my stuff and gave me japanese research ads on steam

I got Ransomware once

I also got a really bad virus that lagged my PC so bad it took around an hour or two to start an app up

Got hit with some malware that shut down internet access on my laptop once. Still lingered afterwards, preventing me from connecting to anything other than my home router.

I myself have never gotten any malware but family members have gotten it on my computer

Did anybody get Bonzi Buddy when they used XP back in 1999 - 2008?

Norton
i just cant get rid of it
plus i also got some other viruses that did loving nothing

Got ratted on my first computer
Dumbass 10 year old me kept downloading roblox """"""hacks"""""""
One year I had to reformat about 4-5 times because I didn't knew these things gave viruses and thought no one lied on the internet

Recently I randomly got a bitcoin miner malware disguised as the realtek audio manager
I have no idea where it came from

First was the blaster worm. Of course, paranoid 'super smart' oldest bro had to 'take control of the situation', nuking all the files without giving anyone a chance to recover a thing, and constantly uninstalling things that people would install after he reformatted.
Later something that caused research ads.
Then I don't recall anything between then and when I got a computer to myself.

As for things that happened to computers I owned, just rogue antiviruses, and one keylogger.
One rogue was accidental. Don't recall how it came to be.
One rogue was intentional. I was testing to see how long I could use ie6 before getting a virus just by visiting webpages. It came from some off-site no one's ever heard of that had a pokemon typechart on it.
And the keylogger was curiosity. I downloaded a file that I knew clearly was an exe instead of the intended format. I disconnected my network before running it and sure enough, it was making a .txt file, containing my keypresses per application (by window text), being sent to some e-mail address that didn't exist anymore. So thankfully if anyone got this keylogger, nothing would actually happen. This was tested in a VM for safety.

Got a few Trojan and Adware, nothing too serious. Although one adware got into my steam and kept popping up when I was browsing the store.

I once got some adware and a homepage hijacker which wasn't being picked up by malwarebytes or ESET so I found the files myself and deleted them. Of course it wasn't that easy as I would have to kill the process and then within a second delete the files, but once I did it there wasn't anything left. Although I've since reformatted then and haven't had anything to do with viruses.

The biggest one I got was ZeroAccess, one of the nastiest rootkits; this was when it had just been discovered and the researchers were still trying to determine how to remove the hidden partition it creates and installs itself into.

I couldn't wait long enough for the removal instructions, said "forget it" and formatted the PC.

this is a pretty embarrassing story but a long long time ago i just really really wanted hats for tf2 so i downloaded this thing that was supposed to give me free hats but instead it took up my screen and the window was constantly on focus and it played like super mario brothers theme through the motherboard. i managed to remove it somehow but that virus taught me a very very important lesson and i'll never ever go to that route again.

I don't think I've ever caused a computer to get infected; which I find astounding because I was pretty security inept at around ages 10-13 when I was just starting to use the internet.

Edit: I did break a Win98 computer when I was young though. I was trying to install a game and there wasn't enough room on the hard drive to install it (2GB hard drive). So I deleted a bunch of stuff from C:\Windows thinking it was useless junk. We never bothered to reinstall the OS on that machine.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 04:30:19 AM by Pecon »

just a fake antivirus which sneaked onto my system when i was about 11 years old.

a long long time ago i just really really wanted hats for tf2 so i downloaded this thing that was supposed to give me free hats
nearly did that