U.S. owes black people reparations for a history of ‘racial terrorism,’ says U.N

Author Topic: U.S. owes black people reparations for a history of ‘racial terrorism,’ says U.N  (Read 4410 times)

i feel like this would be 100% reasonable if we were paying the people who had been slaves or even their children who had grown up in bad conditions because of it. but paying their great great grandchildren? they are so far removed from what those people went through.
i don't think it's much about slavery as it is about generational poverty made worse by the location bias  created by the social-ecomonic ghettos carved out before the civil rights era.

a black kid growing up in the inner city doesn't have the same role models, community values, and opportunities that a white kid growing up in a suburb would have, and I think that the reparations this panel suggested--"health initiatives, educational opportunities ... psychological rehabilitation, technology transfer and financial support, and debt cancellation"--would go a long way both in helping race relations and bridging the opportunity gap.

a black kid growing up in the inner city doesn't have the same role models, community values, and opportunities that a white kid growing up in a suburb would have,

Are you implying only white people live in the suburbs

Are you implying only white people live in the suburbs
As a person who lives in a very white suburb not 10 miles from the rather black city of Cleveland, more or less true, although certainly not only white people.

Edit: of course, this is anecdotal evidence. May vary from region to region.
Edit 2: Another anecdote, I used to live in a predominantly hispanic suburb of Los Angeles.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 10:18:46 PM by Magus »

Not every suburb is near entirely white. In the suburb I used to live in, in Tulsa, it was legit like 90% black and 6% mexican

Not every suburb is near entirely white. In the suburb I used to live in, in Tulsa, it was legit like 90% black and 6% mexican

But black people only live in ghettos!

more like go forget U.R.self

I can virtually guarantee that is either an exaggeration or a very poor suburb. There aren't any wealthy black neighborhoods in Tulsa.

i don't think it's much about slavery as it is about generational poverty made worse by the location bias  created by the social-ecomonic ghettos carved out before the civil rights era.

a black kid growing up in the inner city doesn't have the same role models, community values, and opportunities that a white kid growing up in a suburb would have, and I think that the reparations this panel suggested--"health initiatives, educational opportunities ... psychological rehabilitation, technology transfer and financial support, and debt cancellation"--would go a long way both in helping race relations and bridging the opportunity gap.
Yea, but those problems aren't just caused by slavery. They are caused by the fact that they've been historically repressed in many ways, so even when we stop officially repressing them they are still on a lower rung of society and thus get repressed for being poor and more crime-bound.

Even though, that's a problem so vague and nebulous you can't fix it by passing out cash and benefits. It requires societal change.

That said, I think we should be giving those things to poor people of all races. Nobody should be impoverished because of medical debt.

I can virtually guarantee that is either an exaggeration or a very poor suburb. There aren't any wealthy black neighborhoods in Tulsa.
I didn't say it was in a wealthy or poor neighborhood. Also no, it's not an exaggeration. I used to live in the east 51st area and even by driving around and such, you'll notice quickly that the place is mostly a black / mixed population

I didn't say it was in a wealthy or poor neighborhood. Also no, it's not an exaggeration. I used to live in the east 51st area and even by driving around and such, you'll notice quickly that the place is mostly a black / mixed population

They're just really tanned whites, silly