Author Topic: Steam Controller: Yes or no?  (Read 1062 times)

The thing's on sale right now, anyone have any experience with it?

I've seen pictures of it, and it looks completely bad. on the other hand xbox 360 controllers were king. get one of those instead

iirc they're comfortable to hold though
but having never actually held one, all i can say is that the xbox one controller is the best one i've used

honestly the "touchpads" for playing remind me a lot of phone touchscreens, instead of actual tactile buttons

don't get me wrong, they technically are buttons but they just look pretty gross and difficult to get used to

I've used 360 controllers before, and if felt pretty good. If I don't get a steam controller, I'll probably get one of them.

imo the one controllers are way better than the 360 controllers. they fit better in my hands and the triggers feel nicer
also aesthetic

I've used 360 controllers before, and if felt pretty good. If I don't get a steam controller, I'll probably get one of them.
they're  p e r f
sweet frickin weight, the best triggers, comfortable joysticks, satisfying button clicks, all very much unlike playstation controllers
imo the one controllers are way better than the 360 controllers. they fit better in my hands and the triggers feel nicer
also aesthetic
I've never used an xbox one controller, but if microsoft still knows what they are doing I would expect them to be good too
I think the 360 controllers are pretty af though

they're  p e r f
sweet frickin weight, the best triggers, comfortable joysticks, satisfying button clicks, all very much unlike playstation controllersI've never used an xbox one controller, but if microsoft still knows what they are doing I would expect them to be good too
I think the 360 controllers are pretty af though

sadly I think microsoft makes really good hardware but meh software

like their mouses, keyboards (althought membrane) and controllers are excellent, but Windows is a mess

The Steam Controller's not necessarily good for every kind of game. For games like PSO BB, Dragon's Dogma, probably Dark Souls, it works wonders. For these kinds of games I love it. But for sidescrolling games like Rogue Legacy, Lethal League, etc. It just feels awkward for some reason.

Aha! I have one, it's OK.

Got one when it first came out to replace my old Ps3 controller that was starting to kinda die on me. I don't use it that much as I don't play many games with controller, only Isaac recently. So I've got to be honest, I haven't much forgeted about with the control layouts for different games. The games I've played with it have all had multiple pre-created settings, that you can try out and see which ones are for you. There's quite a lot that you can muck with yourself, if you're into that. The controller is somewhat larger compared to a Ps3 one that I'm most familiar with, similar in size with the Xbox controller tho I'd choose a Steam Controller over a Xbox one every time when it comes down to hand feel.

Would I have gotten one if I knew what it was like to use before hand? Probably not, it's cool that you can use computer and casually browse stuff laid back in my chair, but for gaming I was happy with my Ps3 controller too. I can still recommend it if you're interesting in something new, slightly different. They're continuously updating and adding new features to the firmware to make it more functional and user friendly.

I have one, it's awesome

I can't think of anything to use it for besides decoration though, so there's that
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 08:16:47 AM by portify »

They are pretty good, much prefer the Xbox one controller for DS3 and rocket league though.

I would rather advise for a Xbox 360 or Xbox One instead.
The thing with controllers is that except being laid back, you get "advantages" in certain genres. Racing games, platformers, brawlers/fighting games, and maybe some others.
Meanwhile controllers up until the Steam Controller were doing pretty badly for shooters and strategy games. While it's true fps on consoles is a thing, it's less skill and more aim assist.
The Steam Controller was made to try and do better at those, hence Civilization 5 was one of it's selling points in the videos... However the finished product is something that tires to be too much of everything. It's effectively a controller that does not do shooters and strategy games better than Kb&M, and the other games better than any other controller. It's the equivalent of playing those games with a laptop touchpad, and everytime I did that I was thinking "Damn I wish I had a mouse". The d-pad is sad for anyone that likes to play platformers & fighting games. Racing games are okay since you still got one brown townog stick but otherwise it's pretty uncomfortable since you don't have the best access to the horizontal axis depending on how you hold the thing.
Unless you absolutely only play shooters and strategy games (in which case the only other option is more expensive - wireless kb&m with a hard surface to keep them on ala Logitech Couchmaster, although something homemade is also possible) you really should get a Xbox 360 instead.
Regarding casually browsing due to the touchpad I think if you have a PC in front of you, you'll end up throwing the controller away to stick back to kb&m anyway. That's not why you should buy a controller.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 08:27:19 AM by LeetZero »

i have one, i like it a lot

Yeah it's pretty good. My favorite thing about it how much you can customize control schemes.