Ban players on death for a certain period?

Author Topic: Ban players on death for a certain period?  (Read 2753 times)

So like whenever a player dies (of course barring admins and above) the server bans them for like five minutes or so for a pseudo hardcore-like mode in RPGs and whatnot.

So like whenever a player dies (of course barring admins and above) the server bans them for like five minutes or so for a pseudo hardcore-like mode in RPGs and whatnot.
I don't really think players are gonna enjoy dying and having to wait 5 minutes to replay.

Sounds like a good way to kill your server.

why cant you just make their respawn time longer?

definitely possible but as people have said earlier, why do this? even What Remains only kicked you for dying; banning is a great way to make people not rejoin.

Long respawn times aren't fun. Neither is being banned.

what happens to the host if they die?

the server crashes???

the server crashes???
The host of a non-dedicated server can leave. But they can't rejoin or join any other server without a crash.

The host of a non-dedicated server can leave. But they can't rejoin or join any other server without a crash.
that happened to me once when i tried to test out the funky shirt kicker

on topic: honestly i kinda like this idea. if you're hosting a serious role play where you have a permadeath rule, being forced to leave the server for a couple minutes could help you clear your mind from your previous rpg character so when you rejoin you aren't so focused on what your previous character was.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 11:39:11 PM by Trogtor »

this would only work on a super serious rp server like bluzone though and you gotta have dedicated players that won't mind the 1-5 minute wait.

Would you like waiting 30+ seconds to respawn? Leaving and rejoining is much quicker depending on the load time of the server.

the server crashes???
i might have misused it but the op specifcally states "barring admins and above," meaning excluding.
definitely possible but as people have said earlier, why do this? even What Remains only kicked you for dying; banning is a great way to make people not rejoin.
Noted. That may be a better idea than a full ban.
this would only work on a super serious rp server like bluzone though and you gotta have dedicated players that won't mind the 1-5 minute wait.
I see. So for small hosts like me who only have like two regular players it won't be a good idea.
Sounds like a good way to kill your server.
I want to make a joke involving server banning but I can't think of a way to deliver it in a way to make sense. Oh well.

I want to make a joke involving server banning but I can't think of a way to deliver it in a way to make sense. Oh well.

You'll have to make your joke not actually kick out players from the server, otherwise they'll mistake you for a badmin and leave.

You'll have to make your joke not actually kick out players from the server, otherwise they'll mistake you for a badmin and leave.
I'm trying to joke about "killing the server" and the topic being banning people who died causing the actual server be banned, not a joke ban / kick.

+1 for this not being a good idea.
Just use a long respawn time, that way they can at least continue chatting.
But let the player use a freecam or something, don't just lock them to their corpse