How capable is the newest Torque3D for making a car game?

Author Topic: How capable is the newest Torque3D for making a car game?  (Read 1103 times)

/title

Recently I've been wanting to create my own sort of driving game, except with more story and more indepth characters and car customization than other racing games of the sort (it'll be a street-racing game too)

I've been wondering one thing though, how capable would the newest build of Torque 3D be for this type of game? I'm wanting to use Torque mainly because in my opinion, its script language is much easier for me to understand, the engine is completely free and open source (iirc), and is more fit for a car game than Unreal is, and is more capable than Unity.

Thanks for any answers I get!

No, I won't "use a better engine", because the "better engines" cost money, which I do not have, and I'll have a harder time understanding the script languages.

No, I won't "use a better engine", because the "better engines" cost money, which I do not have, and I'll have a harder time understanding the script languages.
unreal engine 4 is free, 10x better than torque3D, uses the language that torquescript is based off of (c++), and has an actually alive community
trust me you really shouldn't use torque3D when much better alternatives exist

unreal engine 4 is free, 10x better than torque3D, uses the language that torquescript is based off of (c++), and has an actually alive community
trust me you really shouldn't use torque3D when much better alternatives exist
Except from what I've been reading and seen, not a single car game for Unreal has been released so I have zero idea on how well the game will preform on it. I've seen videos of people making the vehicles in Unreal, and they preform like utter trash every time.

I'm going with Torque3D because I know just how well the game can simulate vehicle physics and such. (take a look at BeamNG for example) I feel more safe going with Torque than with Unreal mainly with that purpose, and I've heard how much of a pain it is to compile stuff with Unreal as well.

Also Unreal requires an Epic Games account to get it, which iirc Torque 3D doesn't. Plus I've heard that UE4 also takes a larger cut of the earnings than what Torque would take. Also, I'd like to aim to make my game as performance friendly as it can get, and with Unreal Engine, I've noticed how hard quite a few games and such from the engine can take a hit on a computer's hardware, while Torque is much easier for all sorts of lower-end computers to run.

I'm really hard set in staying with Torque, thanks for the suggestion though.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 12:23:02 AM by Insert Name Here² »

Except from what I've been reading and seen, not a single car game for Unreal has been released so I have zero idea on how well the game will preform on it.
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/hardware-rivals-ps4/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/406350/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/417430/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/368740/
I've seen videos of people making the vehicles in Unreal, and they preform like utter trash every time.
I've played Blockland kart racing before.
I'm going with Torque3D because I know just how well the game can simulate vehicle physics and such. (take a look at BeamNG for example)
They custom made the physics engine for that. Default T3D does not have it.
I feel more safe going with Torque than with Unreal mainly with that purpose, and I've heard how much of a pain it is to compile stuff with Unreal as well.
I've heard it's a pain to modify anything in T3D due to very old code and coding practices.
Also Unreal requires an Epic Games account to get it, which iirc Torque 3D doesn't.
Literally takes 5 seconds to make an account.
Plus I've heard that UE4 also takes a larger cut of the earnings than what Torque would take.
You're not going to be making a game that someone would buy for a long time.
Also, I'd like to aim to make my game as performance friendly as it can get, and with Unreal Engine, I've noticed how hard quite a few games and such from the engine can take a hit on a computer's hardware, while Torque is much easier for all sorts of lower-end computers to run.
Depends on what you do and how you do it
I'm really hard set in staying with Torque, thanks for the suggestion though.
That's the wrong choice.

Torque is the devil. Do not go down the rabbit hole.

Im sticking with T3D and that's final goddamnit. I'd like some non-biased info about torque please.

If you're just going to force me to convert to an engine that does not fit my needs nor interests at all, then please leave.

Im sticking with T3D and that's final goddamnit. I'd like some non-biased info about torque please.

If you're just going to force me to convert to an engine that does not fit my needs nor interests at all, then please leave.

forget this I'll ask somewhere else. Thanks for the loving help on realising how idiotic my idea was to ask about a game engine.

forget you guys