how can a laptop hard drive survive a severe drop

Author Topic: how can a laptop hard drive survive a severe drop  (Read 2318 times)

That hard drive must be pure nintendium.

I've dropped my old ds lite onto concrete, in snow and accidentally flung it into a brick wall (hand strap broke). You should try similar tests, assuming you won't be using said hard drive anymore.

With his luck it'll probably boingy-boing like rubber back up at him
the word "bounce" is usually used for that concept

onetime I was talking with my old laptop (opened) and I tripped on a loving toy car and my fell on it's side and broke and hit the ground, thank god the screen didn't crack, but later on I was walking though a door with the laptop opened again and the screen hit the door and it cracked, I had to wait a few days for a replacement screen for my laptop.

ive dropped my 3ds numerous times on concrete from a decent height and it still never broke, only got scratched or cracked on the outer layer of hardened plastic

ive dropped my 3ds numerous times on concrete from a decent height and it still never broke, only got scratched or cracked on the outer layer of hardened plastic
That's Nintendium for you.

the word "bounce" is usually used for that concept
Thx idk what the forget I was thinking using boingy-boing

I mean, for one, it sounds like you dropped the hard drive flat-side down, which is the direction where the disk has the most durability and shock-resistance (in part because the reading-and-writing head won't move when you hit it in that direction).

Maybe the hard drive was made out of nokium. That the only guess i have. But hey, backup your important stuff if you have any on the laptop.

The difference between Nokium and Nintendium is that Nintendium gets instantly covered in fingerprints and scratches the moment you touch it while Nokium/Tonkium/Unobtanium Alloy wont look absolutely disgusting in sunlight.

some laptops come with accelerometers to park the heads if theres a significant amount of force/motion detected, it's pretty cool

some laptops come with accelerometers to park the heads if theres a significant amount of force/motion detected, it's pretty cool
also if you drop a laptop HDD that's powered off properly (I.e heads parked) the platters magically won't go ded, the damage happens when the heads aren't parked and you drop it

also if you drop a laptop HDD that's powered off properly (I.e heads parked) the platters magically won't go ded, the damage happens when the heads aren't parked and you drop it
If you manage to drop a powered-off HDD hard enough to smack one of the idle heads into the platter, it would still probably break it, I think. Any collision between them releases microscopic fragments of metal that ruin the disk.

it was in sleep mode
in other words, it wasn't running
if a hard drive is running, it is spinning very fast. even a fraction of a second of light contact will scratch the disc to f and back. at 5400rpm that's like a full rotation every tenth of a second
but when it isn't running, not only is the disk not moving, but the write head is generally moved out of the way of the disc entirely. posing far less risk of damage in a fall

in other words, it wasn't running
if a hard drive is running, it is spinning very fast. even a fraction of a second of light contact will scratch the disc to f and back. at 5400rpm that's like a full rotation every tenth of a second
but when it isn't running, not only is the disk not moving, but the write head is generally moved out of the way of the disc entirely. posing far less risk of damage in a fall

See, I told everyone in my family it wasn't nice to smack the computer just because it's going slow!

If you manage to drop a powered-off HDD hard enough to smack one of the idle heads into the platter, it would still probably break it, I think. Any collision between them releases microscopic fragments of metal that ruin the disk.
Metal fragments are a definite no-no in the vacuum sealed-ness of a hard drive

ethan holy stuff i haven't seen you around in years