RandomizerDM - Thoughts?

Poll

Keep lives?

Yes
13 (59.1%)
No
9 (40.9%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: RandomizerDM - Thoughts?  (Read 1815 times)

I have been having issues trying to make the game more balanced. Of course the name explains that it will never be balanced, but there are other factors instead of weapons I am worried about.

The server first started with 1 life for 4 minutes, later on I added a reveal system to stop people from wasting time. I have recently removed lives due to many complaints of people wanting infinite lives because of spawning problems.

Spawnkilling has always been a thing (had a 2 life system for a bit, after a certain amount of time, it goes back to 1 life for everyone - didn't seem to work out so well for some people getting spawnkilled twice in a row), spawns are very close to each other so there are chances of people spawning next to each other on a huge map (even with a decent amout of people). People will sometimes complain that they have to wait so long for the next round.

Either direction I have went has caused problems, but I am not sure which way is worse.

What are your thoughts on what I should do? Most kinds of feedback are welcomed.

spawn players, but don't give them items until 10 seconds into the round. gives players time to assess their surroundings, nearby enemy players, and prepare for the carnage about to begin.

Make players invisible until spawn protection wears off if possible?

Make players invisible until spawn protection wears off if possible?
Didn't you used to have it so players were invisible until they actually got their weps? I recall it from a randomizer dm but I don't remember if it was yours.said it while i was typing smhhhh
Anyways I think that invisible players would solve the spawnkilling too. You could also go through the maps and move spawns farther away from each other if they're that close.

imo the one life per round would be perfect, that and spread out the spawns

I feel that for a randomizer DM, one life works the best. It forces you to work with what you're given and assess the strengths and weaknesses of your items and the items of those around you, instead of just killing yourself because you got the stubgun.

Also, having lives prevents someone with an op loadout from dominating for too long. As of right now someone can camp in a corner with a 3.0x grenade launcher and kill anyone on the map for 4 minutes straight. With lives on, starfishs like that can get their cheap victory quickly, pat themselves on the back, and then go back to being stuck with the stubgun.

With one life, getting kills was meaningful. It was fun being able to clear the map with a stubgun, because that meant something. You already had systems in place to remove the major drawbacks of having one life, like the reveal system and the 2-lives-for-a-while thing. Getting killed wasn't even that bad, because it's still pretty fun to watch other people play. Rounds are only 4 minutes.

That's not to say that no lives isn't fun. Having lives just works better with the nature of the game. I'd make no-lives-mode a special round.

also update the warhammer weapons, i hate the old boltgun particles

just revert it to how it was before you removed the 1-life system, it worked fine

spawn players, but don't give them items until 10 seconds into the round. gives players time to assess their surroundings, nearby enemy players, and prepare for the carnage about to begin.

a stats / leveling system really is what brings so many people back to grapple knife servers. randomizer is capable of having a unique system that can create an incentive to keep playings playing

a stats / leveling system really is what brings so many people back to grapple knife servers. randomizer is capable of having a unique system that can create an incentive to keep playings playing

No. There's always those friends that gloat nonstop and think they're tough stuff because they have a high level. It turns people into total douches.

Randomizer is supposed to be a fun and casual server, and it should stay that way. 1 life would also be best with a reveal system to keep rounds fast paced.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 07:48:51 PM by Ravencroft· »

You could make it so people only spawn after the counter thing.
That or make them invisible

Also, more gamemodes, aaaand bigger maps if possible.

24/7 Docks and not that stuffty Quake map

I've always found one life on the Docks map to be the most exciting. Maybe have a rotation where some rounds are 1 life, some 2, and some infinite lives?

Thanks for the feedback. I'll see what I can do.

Server will stay locked for a while, no idea when it will be unlocked, yet.