Author Topic: On the subject of joke topics/add-ons  (Read 2133 times)

orignally started here:
https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=302764.0

I wanted to continue the discussion but I feel a topic is better for it than a post in gamemodes. We all know about joke topics, whether it be the occasional gallery topic about a single brick or an add-on that only does one minor thing, but what do you think about them. Should they be locked by an admin, do they really matter that much, etc

I think that yeah they can be dumb, but most of the time they just fizzle out and the section they were posted in continues to receive new, more quality topics. There isn't really any loss or negatives about them to make them a real problem. At times they can even be actually funy, like that one gallery post that someone (ipquarx?) made about nal living in a 2x4 brick, or that silly chicken gamemode that pecon made

i don't see any loss to people making more content. mods aren't some elite practice, if someone had fun with it, what's it matter

i don't see any loss to people making more content. mods aren't some elite practice, if someone had fun with it, what's it matter
yeah i agree. The only time it hurts other topics is when it gets WAY out of hand, look at the AoT board for example. Although there weren't many real discussions there anyway since the game was dead

If a new member considers five lines of code an addon or five bricks a build, they deserve to be crapped on.

Plus, most people will take this

As an excuse to keep making joke addons.

it's not exactly the end of the world but at the same time maybe he shouldn't post it if it's a joke, I can respect people telling a newish user not to post these sort of topics

also just because there are only 2 spam topics doesn't mean it should be accepted practice

I think others might see it as an excuse to make more and more joke addon topics. call this jumping the gun but you can have fun with making small test/joke addons without having to actually release topics on them, especially ones that might seem like jokes
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 08:44:02 AM by Maxwell. »

joke topics are great - however the joke starts getting unfunny as soon as you repeat it
ex. shoe rp was hilarious but when people started making peg rp, head rp, etc, it got annoying

there IS a fine line between jokes and spam

only if it satisfies the rule of funny

if it is not funny, then it is spam

so yeah the "joke topics" need quality too weird right

i have no problem with head or peg rp though hah

shoe rp was hilarious
yay
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 09:32:08 AM by The Resonte! »

i see things like head RP as harmless just because it IS some form of contribution. is it very useful and creative? no, but it doesn't taint the game modes board. it's a near dead board anyway and always has been, so as long as whatevers being posted is functional, i don't see an issue in it.

You say that because you believe memes are all that.

Plus, most people will take this

As an excuse to keep making joke addons.
I think others might see it as an excuse to make more and more joke addon topics. call this jumping the gun but you can have fun with making small test/joke addons without having to actually release topics on them, especially ones that might seem like jokes
why do people need an excuse to make mods? people don't need elitist approval to make content, regardless of whether it's a gamemode, a practical script, or some one-off joke mod. stuffting on someone because you don't like the mod they made is absolutely a stuffty thing to do. there are no rules to released mods other than the fact that they should be original (or a modification of an existing mod in some cases) and functional. i fail to see any legitimate harm that these mods could ever do beyond not making someone laugh, and insisting that they're taking up infinite real estate for "real mods" is incredibly condescending and dismissive of someone else's content.

I completely agree with otto

why do people need an excuse to make mods? people don't need elitist approval to make content, regardless of whether it's a gamemode, a practical script, or some one-off joke mod. stuffting on someone because you don't like the mod they made is absolutely a stuffty thing to do. there are no rules to released mods other than the fact that they should be original (or a modification of an existing mod in some cases) and functional. i fail to see any legitimate harm that these mods could ever do beyond not making someone laugh, and insisting that they're taking up infinite real estate for "real mods" is incredibly condescending and dismissive of someone else's content.
fair enough, I agree it's not the worst thing nor does it deserve an entire outburst from notorious but I was just saying we shouldn't really accept joke topics a lot, otherwise people might think it's okay to post more and soon the board will become spammed

i don't think they're a problem at all unless there's been so many recently but that's hardly what's happening here

holy stuff, I completely agree.

Some joke topics can be funny, but most of them to me aren't loving funny and annoying like RP gamemodes where you only have one body part was funny at first then it stopped being funny.