Sure seems like Apple doesn't like ports.

Author Topic: Sure seems like Apple doesn't like ports.  (Read 4408 times)

Apple pushing these thunderbolt ports reminds me of designers or coders who think removing things makes their interface more functional.

"It's the current year! Minimalism! Simplicity! Let me just get that option out of your way. You don't need to be able to make this work the way want it to. We'll just handle everything, don't worry! :)"

here's the thing about how people get viruses: antiviruses are designed to block known malware functionality, this is well known knowledge so why am i saying this?

the thing with windows is that it has limited sandbox functionality: you run a program and it only has access to folders with the permissions it is given.
if UAC asks you for administrator permission: that means the program is asking to do something outside of the permissions the program currently has. if you click yes, you're giving it permission to do it. the only way around this is to exploit a hole in windows to escalate to administrator privileges. this is also why steam doesn't ask for administrator privileges every time you try and install a game.

so if you open malware, it's likely going to ask for administrator privileges, clicking no will not get you infected. clicking yes lets the malware do what it needs to do, the user allowed this to happen and this is not a fault of windows.

mac os x has a system where you can drop a program into the applications folder, and each application is like a folder in program files on windows.
no program is allowed to leave this folder unless you install it using a .pkg or it requests a folder to save to. UNLESS you install it using a .pkg file which was almost solely used for drivers and system level software, this is where it asks for your username. i don't understand how .pkgs work in how it's idiotproof for macs so i'll let someone who can explain that better to do so.

tldr: idiots who allows everything infects computers not drive bys n stuff

the idea that macs are somehow more resilient against viruses is just flat-out wrong, but it's certainly possible that simply more viruses exist to attack windows because of its widespread popularity, especially in places like workplaces and office settings where a virus could be particularly destructive and have great potential to spread.

a focus on user permissions and security can certainly help an OS, but nothing will stop a user that is completely convinced that they need to run a file they shouldn't.

Because forget consumers, right? Who needs loving USB? Nobody uses USB. forget that stuff.

i disable windows firewall, windows defender, that gaytarded annoying UAC, and i have never used an anti virus or malware program in my life.

never had a single problem on my computers, because am not dumb.

Because forget consumers, right? Who needs loving USB? Nobody uses USB. forget that stuff.
That must be why it stands for Unused Serial Bus

The fact we still rely on the USB is a joke
However the fact you're so enraged by the lack of them is extremely amusing

If USB is still being used by... everything then USB ports are important.
Whatever gets your socks off tho

i do not have a single peripheral that does not use type-a USB, and know of basically zero people for whom that is not the case (i know one guy in one of my classes uses a thunderbolt external hard drive which is cool because he was using it to transfer a massive sound library onto computers that needed it). deciding that the future is in superior forms of USB is fine, but you are doing your customers no favors by forcing them to use external adapters to use their standard type-a devices, which is currently the majority of them.

The fact that we still rely on USB is because it's a universal connector that's cheap to produce and works well. Everyone knows it, everyone uses it. That's not a joke. That's why every new phone ever (Besides iPhone) uses some type of USB charging/connection port; it's standard, open, cheap, and it does everything a developer wants it to do.

And we have a superior alternative to USB Type-A (The most widely used one) called USB Type-C. This is what Apple put in their previous MacBook Air. Putting four of those in their MacBook would have brought progress towards standardizing the superior, open-standard port. But instead they chose to limit themselves to thunderbolt, a proprietary standard. Which means higher costs for manufacturers to both license and produce, which means in the end consumers have to pay more, for equal or less.

That is the definition of anti-consumer. Your caricature of me doesn't work by the way, I'm not steaming mad about this or something. I'm simply extremely disappointed that Apple has been repeatedly going down the path of anti-consumerism to increase profits.

I would give an arm and leg to completely remove all usb ports from my life. Just can't get a wireless yeti

Plus bluetooth can still be a pain in the ass :(

I guess you can say Apple doesn't consider USB very important.

Not like USB is universal or anything amirite?