Anybody else in southern USA having issues with Asps?

Author Topic: Anybody else in southern USA having issues with Asps?  (Read 1489 times)

They are currently EVERYWHERE outside of my house. My brother has been stung twice and my mother once, and my local school district is sending out warnings about them rn. Apparently the reach peak around this time so basically i'm screwed.

They look like this:

And apparently they are the most poisonous caterpillar in North America.

Sounds like a pain in the asp.

Yeah I read the Houston area was dealing with floods of reported stings.

WTF IS THAT HOLY stuff BURN YOU HOUSE DOWN
The caterpillar is regarded as a dangerous insect because of its venomous spines. Exposure to the caterpillar's fur-like spines will lead to an immediate skin irritation characterised by a, "grid-like hemorrhagic papular eruption with severe radiating pain". The pain has been described by patients as similar to a broken bone or blunt force trauma.[1] The reactions are sometimes localized to the affected area but are often very severe, radiating up a limb and causing burning, swelling, nausea, headache, abdominal distress, rashes, blisters, and sometimes chest pain, numbness, or difficulty breathing.[4] Additionally, it is not unusual to find sweating from the welts or hives at the site of the sting.
ahhhh

it looks like a really furry fish

In west TN, never seen these in my life and I hope to god I never do

Tomorrow i'll take a picture of the big groups of them outside my house, can't really right now because it's 11 pm here.

That's... really disturbing, actually. I had no idea these things existed and probably would have been happier never knowing about them

I think they are scaring the local tree frogs inside my house. I have found two in my room alone tonight.

Isn't an Asp also a kind of Snake?

I promised pictures

3 on my tree outside:

Some dead ones on our door frame:

make armor out of their spines

So I saw this caterpillar earlier, thought it was cute and left it alone. I go inside and look it up. ANOTHER loving POISONOUS CATERPILLAR.

My yard has become a minefield.