Author Topic: BlockParty - personal updates & future of project  (Read 1355 times)

old thread's too old, so here we are
last post I made there:

well, little update
I recently got a job. a full-time one, this time, lol. it's only supposed to last six months, but that's a pretty long time
anyway it's taking a good chunk out of the time I can work on this. 8 hours of sleep, 8 hours of work (minimum), leaves just 8 more hours for anything else. which sounds like a lot, but I give myself about 2 hours to get ready for work and to get there (it's about half an hour away), and 1 hour for lunch isn't included in those 8 hours. so now we're just down to 5 hours a day. we can take out another half hour for the trip home, and any time I work over that 8 hours (seems to be between 30 minutes and an hour normally), plus time to eat dinner.........
yeah

but there are saturdays. on sundays I have D&D obligations but that doesn't consume 100% of the time that I spend playing, nor does it take the whole day. usually 4-6 hours. so yeah weekends. and I'll try to find time to work on it at, uh, work. my job is completely unrelated to programming, but I do have a decent amount of time where I don't really have much to do, and I could eat lunch at my desk while I work on it, or something. so it's not all doom and gloom really

but on the even brighter side I guess, for anyone who cares anyway, I've finally made a git repo for it, because I really need a way to keep changes synced between my laptop and desktop now
https://github.com/foxscotch/blockparty
if you visit this link within the next like 15 minutes you won't see much, just gimme a minute, the repo's gonna link to this post so I need to make the post lol all is well

edit: also on the super bright side $$$
regular income means an extended budget!!!! that doesn't mean a whole lot for this project but you can expect a few things, like for example a dedicated domain name (still have no clue what I'd pick though, like I said before blockparty.net/us/etc were all taken ;~;), which I simply wouldn't have bothered with otherwise. maybe an upgraded VPS, although the one I have right now is pretty nice, so we'll just have to see about that

so, to begin with, that job is no longer for six months, but in fact for the foreseeable future. the work is okay and the pay is good enough for now, so when my boss asked me to stick around, I figured why not. not really a big deal in relation to this project, cus I was pretty sure that was how it was gonna go down anyway

second, no longer doing D&D. unfortunately? maybe. I miss talking to the people I played it with but I guess I don't miss the time commitment

third, if anyone has been keeping an eye on that git repo (unlikely), you may have noticed a few commits in recent weeks. not much, but more than zero I guess

and finally, I've gotten some relatively big stuff going on in my life lately. having a now-permanent job has sorta woken me up to the fact that I should probably move out soon, especially because my boyfriend wants to live with me. for that reason, saving money has become significantly more important. again, little impact on the project

but what I've really made this thread for is to talk about the shaky future of it. some people seem to be into the idea, which is great, but... it's only a few people. a website like this would be utterly pointless with just a few members. it's especially discouraging to see the state that Clan Discussion is in. the oldest post on the front page is two months old. doesn't bode well for a site about clans
I'm not giving up, forever, or whatever, but I just think for now it'll be better for me to focus on other things. I'm sure that eventually I'll get another bout of inspiration, and by then, at least I'll have this, uh, decent, codebase to start from

also you can thank hawt for sending me a pm like half an hour ago that reminded me to post this. actually kind of weird because I was thinking about how I would explain all of this earlier today

apologies to anyone who's been genuinely excited about it. I was, too

who r u
I have literally 47 times as many posts as you so eat my ass
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 01:19:02 AM by Foxscotch »

i understand, clans are kind of a thing of the past now

i understand, clans are kind of a thing of the past now
wouldn't it be neat if I could go back in time with my current skillset and do this six years ago when I had plenty of free time and clans overall was still something worth talking about :)
(not to say that there aren't currently any clans worth talking about, because there definitely are)

is today the day u want to die ?

(not to say that there aren't currently any clans worth talking about, because there definitely are)

you do an awful lot of not talking about internet legos on a forum for internet legos

you do an awful lot of not talking about internet legos on a forum for internet legos
sry what was that i couldn't hear you over the sound of how inadequate u r