Poll

placeholder poll

--
0 (0%)
--
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: ⑆ Aurora 4x: Multiplayer Space Race \\ [Jan 1, 2025]  (Read 5987 times)

Aurora: What is this?

This is a new nation RP hosted by Remurr set in the universe of the free 4x strategy space simulator, Aurora. It's an incredibly complex empire "game" (it started as an RP tool for traditional games) with insane potential for stories and entertainment set in a near future where humanity has access to exotic minerals, rapidly accelerating a global initiative to make mankind an interplanetary species.

Aurora 4x does not support online multiplayer. Because of this, I will be controlling each side for all players. You and your council of decision-makers will give me orders that you would like your nation to take, and you'll receive reports on your empire here in this thread. Prior knowledge of Aurora is not required-- in fact, I'll be learning more about the game as this RP plays on. (:

Think of it like Dwarf Fortress, but in space-- and a lot easier to use as a DM tool. It's an excellent storytelling platform, trust me. And yes, this is inspired by the topic on the bay12 forums

Okay... so what do I need to do?

Not much. First thing's first-- you're going to need a nation to play as. You're able to create your own nation or join one that already exists (with the consent of the players of that nation). Once you've done that, I strongly encourage you to read the goals for consideration and your nation-specific concerns. Of course, these are entirely optional, but are a great way to plan your next course of action should you ever find yourself lost or overwhelmed. Nations that have not been present for more than five years will have been considered to divert their resources and attention to more earthly matters, becoming a dormant power.

To make it easier on you, the majority of what you'll be doing is communicating between your peers and giving simple orders each turn. At the start of each turn cycle (determined when an event happens, such as an order is completed or an unforeseen wrench was thrown into your plans), you will have the opportunity to assign orders. These are general tasks that act as "guidelines" for your nation to act accordingly.

Code: [Select]
[[Space Goals]]: These will be fleet orders such as "Ship automated mines to Mars" or "Engage Russian survey vessel in proximity of Titan"
[[Production Goals]]: Examples would be "Build more factories on Mu Arae III" or "Construct a survey vessel in our Martian shipyard"
[[Technology Goals]]: There's an outdated list of research projects available at http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=List_of_Research_Costs, but general suggestions are fine such as "Develop cloaking technology" or "Pursue advanced laser weapon systems"
[[Other Goals]]: Auxiliary orders go here because something unexpected always happens

Multiple people can give orders for one nation, as long as you are all a part of the same one. I will also not be accepting PM orders because this thread will be very boring to read if it was all status updates. The nations of the world operate with transparency, so use caution in your actions-- you don't know who may be plotting against you.

Background

Recent developments in mining technologies allowed various industries to retrieve samples of new elements from deep within Earth's core. The new elements-- aptly dubbed "Trans-Newtonian Elements"-- do not obey our current understanding of the laws of physics, boasting extraordinary properties such as the ability to generate infinite energy, ignore gravity, slip through space with ease, and much more.

The introduction of TNEs to the leaders of global industry revolutionized the world. The energy crCIA is the thing of the past, and spaceships are incredibly easy to build if you have access to these extremely rare materials. Unfortunately for us, the supply of TNEs in the Earth's core is limited, and we will soon have to look elsewhere for them. A new space race has begun-- and the general public is in awe over a theoretical study detailing the use of TNEs in potential "Jump Drives."

Meanwhile, the world leaders of Earth are frightened about the political destabilization of the global balance of power, and as a result ratify the Geneva Security Accords: no act of war may take place within 25 million kilometers of Earth, and no vessel engaged in acts of violence may approach within that radius. The GSA expires in 2050 and risks unintended side effects. With civilian populations no longer at risk and governments hungry for TNEs, a limited space war exceeding the confines of Earth may occur in the near future.

Current Treaties and Rules

1) Geneva Security Accords: No armed conflict within 25 million km of Earth until 2050. This area includes the moon, but should not extend to any planets.
2) Civilian Protection Treaty: Due to the futility of ensuring the protection of civilian ships with the current standard of technology, the act of firing upon civilian ships is currently prohibited. Consider civilians a neutral party. This treaty expires with the GSA on Jan 1, 2050.
3) Geosurvey teams will not be available currently. If you don't know what those are, then you're fine. They are too much to micromanage and difficult to coordinate in multiplayer. We will not be training fleets for the same reason. In the end, this makes your job as well as mine a little bit easier. A well-established colony will eventually attract a geosurvey team to prospect for hidden minerals, but this will be a decision made by private sectors in your empire.

Empires

None so far! Interested in joining? You can be anything you want, whether it's a nation, an organization, a corporation, a band of mercenaries, a rebellion, a circle of space pirates... whatever you can come up with, you can play.

Piqued your interest? In order to join, create a post with your nation's name, government, and a backstory. I'll set you up accordingly. If you're starting on another planet (once players discover some), you'll be able to give a quick species descriptor as well! Humans are overrated anyway.

Central European Confederation
Population: 430 million
Yearly Income: 8600 credits
Economy: No economic data available.
Military: The CEC has standard ICBM and missile launcher capabilities. No fleets have been constructed.
Technology: A fledgling trans-Newtonian empire. Capable of using missiles and ICBMs.
Advisor(s): SWAT One

Updates

January 1, 2025

Current Technologies
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 02:57:18 AM by Remurr »

Status of the Human Race, Earth Year 2025

Central European Confederacy
Earth:
Population: 430.00m
Research labs: 12
Construction Factories: 268
Ordnance Factories: 77
Fuel Refineries: 128
Automated Mines: 51
Maintenance Facilities: 61
Tracking Stations: 1
Ground Force Training Facilities: 2
Naval Academies: 1
Mines: 256

1 24,000 ton commercial slipway (No ship design) [Sheppard & Humphries Shipyard, Earth]
1 7,000 ton naval slipway (No ship design) [Miah Iron Works, Earth]

Wealth: 17,200 credits

Scientists:
Missiles / Kinetic Weapons 10%
Logistics / Ground Combat 10%
Logistics / Ground Combat 0%

Research:
No active research projects

Mineral Surveys [<Amount> (<Accessibility Rating>)] as of Jan 1, 2025

Earth
Duranium: 774,900 (1.0)
Neutronium: 146,700 (0.5)
Corbomite: 119,500 (0.9)
Tritanium: 274,300 (0.9)
Boronide: 88,800 (0.6)
Mercassium: 99,000 (0.9)
Vendarite: 98,400 (0.9)
Sorium: 94,350 (1.0)
Uridium: 111,500 (1.0)
Corundium: 96 900 (1.0)
Gallicite: 178,800 (0.8)

Inner Solar System as of Jan 1, 2025

Goals for consideration

1) Geological Survey
It's natural to assume TNEs can be found on other planets and even asteroids, but no detailed survey of other planetary bodies have ever been done before. It's important that your nation finds new deposits, and every nation has the ability to construct geological survey vessels. The design is up to the advisers to decide upon. Consider if you would prefer a quick surveyor, an armed one, or a cheap and expendable one. It's even possible to refit warships with survey sensors.

2) Mining Colonies
Detailed survey results brings in the potential for a discovery of a high-yield TNE deposit. It is now possible to transport mining facilities to other worlds. Automated mines are the most practical, not requiring any population. Mass drivers can transport minerals back to Earth for use, but risk interception. Planting a colony would require the construction of a freighter.

3) Civilian Colonies
Despite the fact no other planet in the solar system has a breathable atmosphere, TNEs can be used to construct colonies on (in increasing order of difficulty) Mars, Titan, Mercury, and Venus. Eventually you could see these worlds terraformed, but for now, a domed colony would do. This task requires the construction of a freighter and a colony ship.

4) Gravitational Survey
Jump point theory is recently developed, but nobody on Earth knows where-- or if there are any in the solar system at all. Researching a gravitational survey ship could give your nation a huge boost on the next great human endeavor: colonizing other star systems. As with a geological survey, a new ship must be designed.

5) Acquire jump capability
There are two theoretical ways of using jump points: either a jump drive equipped ship, or the construction of a gate. A jump gate constructor requires much less research, but is far more expensive and time consuming. This is not a secure method of utilizing jump points, as any ship can go through these, including ones from outside of your nation. A jump capable ship is excellent for scouting, but a major colonization effort would require the use of a gate.

Nation specific concerns:

Central European Confederation
Currently, there isn't much of an opposition in space, as you're the first to set your goals to further mankind's presence among the stars. It would be wise to begin researching new technologies ASAP. Other worlds are rich with minerals that are necessary for the construction of colonies, ships, and planetary infrastructure. Your shipyards are not yet fitted with any ship designs, so before you begin exploring the heavens, you will want to begin thinking about what kinds of ships you would like to build.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 09:11:03 PM by Remurr »

quick question, what are the objects with no orbit lines? are those asteroids or something?

quick question, what are the objects with no orbit lines? are those asteroids or something?
generally, yes. it depends on the object itself, but most of them are asteroids

for example, the ones with the light blue outline and movement trails are comets
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 05:03:49 PM by Remurr »

cool
also, if you have a need for planet textures, just ask and i will provide

cool
also, if you have a need for planet textures, just ask and i will provide
planet textures like how? currently each planet has a little preview image in the system information screen like so:

i mean i can provide a transparent planet texture if you need it for an image

i mean i can provide a transparent planet texture if you need it for an image
ah okay, that'd be pretty cool later on

if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. aurora is a powerful RP platform and i'm eager to get started

buuuuump

is anyone interested?

the complexity's a bit disconcerting, so that may be why it's not getting much response

it reminds me of ss13 though in its complexity and i love ss13

the complexity's a bit disconcerting, so that may be why it's not getting much response

it reminds me of ss13 though in its complexity and i love ss13
yeah it's super complex but really fun to play. all you need to do is just supply general orders for your nation and i'll do the heavy lifting + report on any events.

i'm thinking about abolishing the two current nations and allowing people to choose their own though. would that bring more interest?

also, this is ready to go whenever, so if in the end it does gain a following, i'd be ready to process commands

do we just ask to make a nation because if so the nigerian space colonization program has begun

do we just ask to make a nation because if so the nigerian space colonization program has begun
if you'd like. your country will have stats based on real-life projections in 2025 tho but yes we can do a nigerian space program//
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 07:11:31 PM by Remurr »

bump. i'm changing things around, so reference the OP for all the new stuff :)

hopefully we'll get some players! i started it up again after making these changes and people seemed to like them so ;p

Central  European  Confedration

-flag coming later-

Population:     430 Million
Yearly Income:     Moderately Substantial (tbd)
Economy:     Moderately strong (tbd)
Military:     Moderately powerful (tbd)
Yearly Income:     Moderately substantial, not entirely cohesive. (tbd)
Technology:     (Idk what in specific you want us to do here.)