Author Topic: Industrial Cage Lights and Lightbulb Bricks (3 add-ons) [.blend included]  (Read 3234 times)

Industrial Cage Lights

A 1940's industrial style open cage for a light bulb with wall and ceiling attachment types. 4 plates tall, must be attached from the ceiling (regardless of type, the wall attachment is simply visual), empty 1x1x1 space below the top plate for a light bulb.

Features
  • Brick icon.
  • Accurate collision for the covering cage. In other words, bullets can only pass through the holes in the cage. (Excluding the bottom + shape, that has no collision or raycasting.)
  • Minimal coverage due to the shape of the brick, only top and wall facing quads are hidden when covered.
  • Support_Updater versioning.

Industrial Shielded Cage Lights

A 1940's industrial style cage for a light bulb with wall and ceiling attachment types. 4 plates tall, must be attached from the ceiling (regardless of type, the wall attachment is simply visual), empty 1x1x1 space below the top plate for a light bulb. Has a backing "shield" that does not block light but does block players and bullets. Additionally bricks used as lightbulbs inside the brick will not have a flare when viewed from the outside (unshielded versions of the bricks do have a flare, see below for screenshots) due to the way the collision for the shield is modeled.

Features
  • Brick icon.
  • Accurate collision for the covering cage. In other words, bullets can only pass through the holes in the cage. (Excluding the bottom + shape, that has no collision or raycasting.) Bullets cannot pass through the shielding.
  • Minimal coverage due to the shape of the brick, only top and wall facing quads are hidden when covered.

Industrial Cage Lightbulbs

Two lightbulbs that fit inside the industrial cage light bricks. One with just the bulb, another with a square base. Downside: when using a glow effect on the lightbulb with the base, the base will also glow.

Features
  • Brick icon.
  • Minimal coverage due to the shape of the brick, only top quads are hidden when covered.

Additional preview images using all three brick sets.

Bricks at night.
Left: glowing green lightbulb with base (+ standard green light with flare) in caged light.
Right: glowing red baseless lightbulb (+ standard red light with flare) in shielded cage.

Bricks at day. (Different lightbulb colors from above.)

This is a sample brick for Blender BLB Exporter.

The BLB files were exported in two sets using the BLB exporter by doing the following:
  • Selecting layers 1-3 containing the light cages for the first two add-ons.
  • In the export dialog, using the following properties (deviating from defaults):
    • Bricks to Export: Multiple
    • Bricks Names From: Groups
    • Coverage: Self North and Bottom
    • Automatic Quad Sorting
  • After export top coverage was removed from wall bricks and north (east in file) coverage from ceiling bricks by manually editing the BLB files.
  • Same process was repeated to export the lightbulbs but layers 4 and 5 were selected instead and north self coverage was disabled.

Additionally the Blender file includes the camera, light, and material used for rendering special brick icons that closely match the default Blockland style. Icon is to be rendered without anti-aliasing. Post-processing is required to scale the icon to the correct resolution using bilinear interpolation.

A fellow named The Brighter Dark requested that I make this brick some time ago and I figured it could be used for minigames or something so I ended up going all the way. Reference image.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 03:49:52 AM by Demian »

Damn dude 4 topics, I love these bricks but can't they be in one topic?

Damn dude 4 topics, I love these bricks but can't they be in one topic?
It would get overly crowded and messy. I'll slow down the pace.

It would get overly crowded and messy. I'll slow down the pace.
Well the icons for each brick could be more categorized and smaller but I get what you mean