[NEWS] Clinton vote lead grows to 2 mil; Stein opens recount req. in WI, MI, PA

Author Topic: [NEWS] Clinton vote lead grows to 2 mil; Stein opens recount req. in WI, MI, PA  (Read 18475 times)

Now that I think about it some more, abolishing the Electoral College would likely improve voter turnout. This is pure conjecture, but I'd be willing to bet there are a fair number of people who live in a state that almost always goes to the party they're not aligned with; then when voting season comes around, they figure their vote won't matter because their state will go in the opposite direction regardless. I can definitely imagine, say, a Annoying Orange supporter in California deciding not to vote because California nearly always goes blue. Or a Clinton supporter in Alabama who figures a single drop of blue is nothing compared to an ocean of red.

If the election was decided on pure popular vote, these people would be more inclined to vote. Probably.
I didn't vote because my state is guaranteed to be Democratic. I'm sure hundreds of thousands felt the same way in other states.

goodbye opinions of nearly the entire western half of the country

hello new york and california who would you like our president to be

goodbye opinions of nearly the entire western half of the country

hello new york and california who would you like our president to be
This is a really stupid statement

Oh nvm I just saw who posted it. No longer surprised

to the ppl saying salty democrats, i would like to point out the fact that salty republicans passed the 22nd amendment in response to FDR's 4th reelection

I think it should be broken down into districts. So a certain state might give x amount of electoral votes for one candidate and y amount for another.

I think it should be broken down into districts. So a certain state might give x amount of electoral votes for one candidate and y amount for another.
That essentially becomes a popular vote

“The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill

Electoral Vote > Popular vote

This is to keep things in check.
"It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried." - Winston Churchill

This is a really stupid statement

Oh nvm I just saw who posted it. No longer surprised

why do you even post

Now that I think about it some more, abolishing the Electoral College would likely improve voter turnout. This is pure conjecture, but I'd be willing to bet there are a fair number of people who live in a state that almost always goes to the party they're not aligned with; then when voting season comes around, they figure their vote won't matter because their state will go in the opposite direction regardless. I can definitely imagine, say, a Annoying Orange supporter in California deciding not to vote because California nearly always goes blue. Or a Clinton supporter in Alabama who figures a single drop of blue is nothing compared to an ocean of red.
I have multiple friends and family members that didn't vote/went third party in this presidential election because they didn't really like either candidate. My brother, for instance, would have preferred Annoying Orange but didn't bother voting in California.

Abolishing the electoral college would drastically change the popular vote, and, considering how fearful our founding fathers were of a slight majority always dominating, would likely result in an endless stream of Democratic presidents. (My opinion based on party membership/the millennial generation being majorly Democrat)

not having a system in place that ensures that each state can have a say in the choices the collective makes is the main reason why Britain left the EU

if you don't have that system then farmers don't matter
because not a lot of people live where farmers do so why campaign to them when you can win through NYC and San Francisco

Everyone in America should have their votes weigh equally

not having a system in place that ensures that each state can have a say in the choices the collective makes is the main reason why Britain left the EU

if you don't have that system then farmers don't matter
because not a lot of people live where farmers do so why campaign to them when you can win through NYC and San Francisco
Actually no... It makes it so that smaller states matter more than big states, which is the exact opposite of what a good democracy is.
What you *want* is for the largest part of the population to be satisfied with the result, because remember, everyone is equal under the eyes of the law, and for everyones vote to actually count.

In the electoral college, in many instances (Around 7% of all elections), the minority vote wins. This means that the majority of people did not vote for the winner.
Also in the electoral college, not everyone's votes actually count. If you're in New York for example and you're a republican, your vote basically means nothing because New York is never going to go red. Your vote does not matter. Or if you're a democrat in Texas, your vote does not matter, because Texas will never go blue. Your vote does not matter. But in a popular vote, it does matter, because all that matters is the number of votes everybody gets.

Abolishing the electoral college would fix those major problems, and increase voter turnout in all states. That's again, a good thing, because the more people who have a say in the election the better.

You could also further improve it by putting into place a ranked voting system, which eliminates the spoiler effect that the FPTP voting system has and would encourage 3rd parties to rise up in their own parties without fear of siphoning off votes from other parties.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 11:04:24 AM by Ipquarx »

America is not a democracy and was never intended to be

it was?