has there been any attempt to translate blockland to a different language?

Author Topic: has there been any attempt to translate blockland to a different language?  (Read 2033 times)

i know that it would be downright pointless because blockland is so unpopular (except for that one korean guy who played it)

but has anyone thought about it before or attempted to do it?

note: i only posted this because i learned the french words for wand is "baguette magique"

note: i only posted this because i learned the french words for wand is "baguette magique"
Is it really?
Sacrebleu!

i think there is a russian community somewhere i think with somene called Hamlet but i barely recall

i think there is a russian community somewhere i think with somene called Hamlet but i barely recall
Why do I sense nostalgia

i remeber hearing about this

Translate to the great and magnificent language of Croatian.

Dren Dran's old Blockland Essentials add-on tried to do this. It worked but it wasn't really optimal.

I don't really think there is an ideal way to do this for Blockland. The most solid thing you could do would be just a bunch of GUI menu replacements that have the text properly translated, but that won't cover anything beyond the default game content. You can try to use a translation dictionary file and replace words with their translations on the fly, but that will make the translation pretty horrible since it won't really follow any of the grammar rules of the target language; not to mention that replacing all strings on the fly isn't a very efficient thing to do.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 02:32:00 AM by Pecon »

I tried to make an add-on that did that as a part of BLRS a few years back.
Dren Dran's old Blockland Essentials add-on tried to do this. It worked but it wasn't really optimal. I don't think there was really much of a better way to accomplish it though if you actually want everything translated automatically.
oh, you beat me to it

Well, moral of the story is trying to replace every string in the game can cause difficulties. It's possible though, at least for vanilla content.

didn't some guy start making fictional language translations a bit ago

just make edits of medieval chat filter :cookieMonster:

Don't worry. Since English is such a universal language, you won't need to.

didn't some guy start making fictional language translations a bit ago

You mean LangScripts?

yes, it's simple enough–the problem is that Blockland exclusively supports Windows-1252 which means that you can't actually write most characters from other languages

yes, it's simple enough–the problem is that Blockland exclusively supports Windows-1252 which means that you can't actually write most characters from other languages
but you could improvise, for example you can write the polish word for source as źródło or zrodlo, they are interchangeable on the internet tbh