Author Topic: Annoying Orange: 'Nobody really knows' if climate change is real  (Read 5683 times)

people who don't believe in climate change probably think we're claiming it's going to raise to 50 degrees in the next 100 years and make life on earth unsuitable. no, that is not the case, but denying the direct correlation between carbon in the atmosphere and temperature is just silly

yeah, it's a small difference, but it exists. it's not going to make a difference in our lifetimes but if it can be helped for future generations far down the line we should establish emission constrictions sooner than later.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 07:29:26 AM by Steve5451² »

people who don't believe in climate change probably think we're claiming it's going to raise to 50 degrees in the next 100 years and make life on earth unsuitable.
Well the people who really push it hard tend to stick to this extremist 'by 203X-205X we will be forgeted, unless we switch to (inefficient) green energy alternatives.'

Truth be told there are efficient green energy alternatives, but the same people who push this 'its the end of the world unless you do X' scare tactic never seem to include very efficient options into the equation, they only say to stop 'this' but never seem to fully support a proper 'green energy' alternative.

people who don't believe in climate change probably think we're claiming it's going to raise to 50 degrees in the next 100 years and make life on earth unsuitable. no, that is not the case, but denying the direct correlation between carbon in the atmosphere and temperature is just silly

[img]https://www.e-education.psu.edu/egee102/sites/www.e-education.psu.edu.egee102/files/files/Lesson_03/graph4.JPG[/img
what nobody seems to understand is that most of the life that exists within the equatorial regions of the world, like in rainforests, have a very small niche that they can survive in. about 50% of all living things exist in rainforests, despite the fact that rainforests only cover about 6% of the earths surface. A change in climate of 1-2 degrees Celsius would be devastating for many of them. An increase of 4 degrees would be estimated to wipe out ~2/3 of ALL plant species and ~1/3 of ALL mammals. Not to mention the mass migration of animals away from the equator that's bound to happen with time, along with the mass drought, famine, flooding. These are very credible threats that our children will have to face. But it's easier to do nothing about it cause, "hur forgetin dur, it ain't my problem if it doesn't affect me now! I'm just gonna ignore everything around me and forget the world up cause I'm a human and I can!"
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 07:57:57 AM by Count »

solution for climate change

http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/11/4/048002

This is probably the stupidest thing I've read all day. What the flying forget happened to the blockland forums? People used to call out mentally challenged stuff bags like this instead of just letting their tinfoil hat wearing asses say whatever comes to their mind. What "makes it worse" are little worms like you, who put their biases and gut feelings over the 2 ton mound of evidence in front of their noses.
hoo boy im sweating

As I see it with the cyclical nature of Earth's climate, as shown by the graphs, the real question is whether mankind's activities will jack it up.  There's some mechanism that would seem to cause global temperatures to drop back down and life goes on.  Do/will our actions hinder or disable this natural mechanism?  Is this period of warming unusually accelerated by a significant margin, presumably by human action, and is that likely to make a difference?  I don't know; I haven't looked into the matter very deeply as of yet.

The problem I see is that the issue isn't just scientific anymore.  It's left the fairly objective scientific realm and entered the unfathomably backwards political realm.  If climate change weren't used as an excuse to expand government power beyond subsidizing clean energy and R&D for it, or if the recommendation were to rely more heavily on nuclear energy, it's fair to say that a lot of its critics would put up a much lesser fight or drop it altogether.  Instead the EPA is given sweeping, abuseable, power which limited government types have every reason to fear, hate, and resist.

As far as those national academies go, I hate to pull an ad hominem, but don't you think that the national institutes have some vested interest in the existence of climate change and all the panic around it given that it means more funding for them to try to fix it and the expansion of national power.?  I'm not saying they're wrong; I'm not saying you're wrong; I'm just saying that the self interest of these people is worth considering.  The map you've brought up isn't actually addressing what beachbum's talking about (I think).  I believe he's talking about the survey discussed here.  I won't pretend that that's unbiased either, but it's always worth digging deeper into matters as controversial and hard fought as these.

people may cause some global warming but the planet goes through ice ages and followed by warming periods.  It has been warmer than it is now in the past.

people may cause some global warming but the planet goes through ice ages and followed by warming periods.  It has been warmer than it is now in the past.

lol. People always point to Earth's natural cycles as the cause of climate change but are completely ignorant of the cycles themselves. It is not as simple as heating > cooling > repeat. It has indeed been far warmer in the past but I don't see why you bring that up. Following the Younger Dryas c. 10,000 BC the Earth showed declines in methane and CO2, suggesting we were due for a glacial period between AD 500 and 1500. But agricultural methane curbed that and we settled into a warm period, which is only becoming more extreme as we flood the atmosphere with carbon.

It is disconcerting to see people like you spout armchair ecology.

Well the people who really push it hard tend to stick to this extremist 'by 203X-205X we will be forgeted, unless we switch to (inefficient) green energy alternatives.'

Truth be told there are efficient green energy alternatives, but the same people who push this 'its the end of the world unless you do X' scare tactic never seem to include very efficient options into the equation, they only say to stop 'this' but never seem to fully support a proper 'green energy' alternative.
Nuclear energy is relatively clean and is far more efficient than coal and oil

Nuclear energy is relatively clean and is far more efficient than coal and oil

Why don't we use it then? I've heard that the waste that comes from it is just as bad as fossil fuels. Of course this is only what I've heard.

Why don't we use it then? I've heard that the waste that comes from it is just as bad as fossil fuels. Of course this is only what I've heard.
coal lobbyists

have coal jobs while gaining new workers to work exclusively with nuclear energy and green energy

Nuclear energy powers the majority of France because they don't have earthquakes or tsunamis. In Japan and America, natural disasters have historically caused some terrible nuclear meltdowns and now public opinion of nuclear aint that great. Also the radioactive byproducts it produces take millennia to decompose, so we store it in massive cooling tanks or inside secure facilities. Having all that waste lying around, however secure it may be, poses some problems for the future.

Nuclear power is incredibly clean and safe though, when the right protocols are followed. The only emission it produces is steam. I think it's a fuel source worth more attention.

We should use coal miners as our new source of efficient energy. Not only do they burn better than coal but they won't get in our way when we try to save the earth

yeah that's why category 4 and 5 hurricanes are increasing exponentially in numbers as the years go by. absolutely no climate change.

i believe in climate change, but i believe it's a mixture of human bidding and the earth's natural cycle.