Debian
Debian derivative (other than Ubuntu)
Arch
Arch derivative (Manjaro)
Gentoo/Enoch
Other (Please specify)
Linux is for illegal hackers
Fedora

Author Topic: Favorite Linux Distros?  (Read 5814 times)

still don't get why people use linux for things like gaming rather than windows, you're just shooting yourself in the foot as you'll need to find games that actually support linux or work in an emulator

still don't get why people use linux for things like gaming rather than windows, you're just shooting yourself in the foot as you'll need to find games that actually support linux or work in an emulator
muh open sauce

ive never heard of someone picking linux specifically for gaming. basically people game on linux because they'd rather do that than have to dual boot windows for a single task

The issue is that countless PC games are made specifically for Windows and only Windows . It's somewhat synonymous to the likes of console exclusive games, if it's made for the system you don't like then you don't have much choice if you actually want to play it. Some dedicated players will swallow their pride and buy all the different systems they need to play the games they want, but most people either don't have the money or aren't dedicated enough to do that. People who say "Just use windows....." really are just taking for granted that Windows comes preinstalled on their computers. You may think that you dodge paying for it this way, but in reality you're still paying for it because the manufacturer just marks up their product to make up for it. $100 is not a trivial price tag.

But that's just the unfortunate reality. Most gamers who use linux just either dualboot, virtualize windows, or get by with what they can run in wine.

some people use linux for the same reason some prefer manual transmissions.
it's harder but gives you more control and fun if you're a frickin nerd geek.

since i only use it for minimodem and opus, ubuntu although i also have used it for file transfers since windows doesn't exactly like moving stuffloads of files
also couldn't get debian to work in a vm for some reason when i did try another distro

I used Lubuntu back in the day.

i mean people can argue till their blue about windows 10 security issues

and you'd just say, oh well just use windows 7 or 8

microsoft has made sure that the next intel socket and next amd socket only support windows 10, no windows 8, 7, vista, or anything else besides linux

so forget them

thats why i like to use linux

microsoft can forget themselves

I'm going to be dual-booting Elementary OS with Windows sometime
it looks forgetin beautiful

elementary is stuff

it looks good but its loving awful

they have their own software center which is even more stuff than the ubuntu one

just wait for pantheon to become distro independant and put it on debian or something if you just like the way it looks

Wouldn't you be able to make a skin for linux that basically resembles how Elementary OS looks or, is that not how it works?

Wouldn't you be able to make a skin for linux that basically resembles how Elementary OS looks or, is that not how it works?

pantheon is the wm it uses

but its not entirely independant of elementary yet, which means its troublesome to attach it to another distro like ubuntu or debian or arch

it can be done but it'll probably forget up, so just wait for them to finish it

well i forgeted up installing arch linux manually on a virtual machine so im gonna give arch anywhere a shot

well i forgeted up installing arch linux manually on a virtual machine so im gonna give arch anywhere a shot

try manjaro