Author Topic: Blade Runner 2049 (discussion)  (Read 1620 times)

that's not what the movie's about either. it's just a subplot. it doesn't even involve the main character until like the very end
wel can u tell me then

wel can u tell me then
it's about a bounty hunter who tracks down and kills rogue androids, which are illegal on earth. the movie gets some action scenes from his attempts to hunt down a couple of them around the city. however, for the most part, it's about whether or not it's right to kill these androids, giving you many opportunities to see that even the antagonistic ones are motivated by genuine emotion, and the main character falling in love with someone he knows to be an android

honestly, the whole background is kinda stupid. why the hell would you give androids, designed to be nothing more than workhorses, the capacity for emotion? in fact, why bother with androids at all? specialized robots would be far more effective. the answer is: because philip k. richard wanted to seem deep
it's not a bad movie, and I'm sure the book it's based on isn't bad either, but I really don't get that one detail. the reason androids are banned on earth is because they had some kind of big riot that caused a lot of deaths. the reason? they were tired of being slaves. unthinking robots don't get tired of being slaves. the entire conflict could've been prevented if the people who created the androids in the first place had actually taken a second to think about it

also there's a lot of worldbuilding in it. it feels kind of awkward. worldbuilding is great in books, but in a 2 hour movie?

it's about a bounty hunter who tracks down and kills rogue androids, which are illegal on earth. the movie gets some action scenes from his attempts to hunt down a couple of them around the city. however, for the most part, it's about whether or not it's right to kill these androids, giving you many opportunities to see that even the antagonistic ones are motivated by genuine emotion, and the main character falling in love with someone he knows to be an android

honestly, the whole background is kinda stupid. why the hell would you give androids, designed to be nothing more than workhorses, the capacity for emotion? in fact, why bother with androids at all? specialized robots would be far more effective. the answer is: because philip k. richard wanted to seem deep
it's not a bad movie, and I'm sure the book it's based on isn't bad either, but I really don't get that one detail. the reason androids are banned on earth is because they had some kind of big riot that caused a lot of deaths. the reason? they were tired of being slaves. unthinking robots don't get tired of being slaves. the entire conflict could've been prevented if the people who created the androids in the first place had actually taken a second to think about it

also there's a lot of worldbuilding in it. it feels kind of awkward. worldbuilding is great in books, but in a 2 hour movie?
now that actually sounds loving great

Why not give robots the capacity to feel emotion? I mean, its set in a pretty dystopian future fraught with cybernetics. You figure that people are going to accomplish whatever is humanly possible. Its certainly within the realm of reason. Playing god? Sure, but this is an act of fiction that would tell the story of the recourse for doing this.

Why not give robots the capacity to feel emotion?
because intentionally giving your slaves-for-life feelings is morally questionable to say the least. even if you are just being evil for some reason, it is obviously impractical. they will be less effective

because intentionally giving your slaves-for-life feelings is morally questionable to say the least. even if you are just being evil for some reason, it is obviously impractical. they will be less effective

Sorry, I missed the "androids, designed to be nothing more than workhorses, the capacity for emotion" part. Where does this information come from? I probably really need to sit down and really re-watch the movie, but if this is based off of the Philip K richard novel, I wouldn't use that as "lore".

Sorry, I missed the "androids, designed to be nothing more than workhorses, the capacity for emotion" part. Where does this information come from? I probably really need to sit down and really re-watch the movie, but if this is based off of the Philip K richard novel, I wouldn't use that as "lore".
from the starwars-style scrolling text at the start of the movie:

"...Replicants were used Off-world as slave labor, in the hazardous exploration and colonization of other planets..."

in all reality, its a beautiful movie, not only the tension at what the replicants will do to keep living, but the actions they have around other replicants. you can tell they have feelings because they genuinely are scared of death.

also, i remember an rp up like this once, if there was another rp that had the elements of blade runner id literally die.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 11:29:20 PM by Drew Skube »