Poll

do you think these buggos are cute

yes
20 (34.5%)
no ew
38 (65.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: my friend thinks cicadas are cute  (Read 7018 times)

my brother and I found two smaller ones loving on the sidewalk, (and by loving I mean one humping the other) went and got a 2x4 and smashed them both, we don't want more of their kind round here, best get em while they're young
when I smashed them a small amount of green slime came out

my brother and I found two smaller ones loving on the sidewalk, (and by loving I mean one humping the other) went and got a 2x4 and smashed them both, we don't want more of their kind round here, best get em while they're young
when I smashed them a small amount of green slime came out
thats the baby
every cicada larvae starts out as a sort of gel like slime that slowly congeals and solidifies into a firm young handsome and lovey inlovet

i agree with the above user they are small and (mostly) friendly

mostly because there are some which are BRUTAL which makes them AWESOME because they can totally mess up something 10x their size which is RAD

Don't ever keep them though, they feed on tree sap with a long probe that erects from the shield like plating they have on their face. They won't feed on anything else so they'll starve if they don't have a tree in their habitat. Generally cicadas only emerge every 13 years or so but there is enough of them in the ground that you'll usually see them every year.

The buzzing sound you hear is when they seek mates. They rub their wings together to create the noise you hear, only males do this. If you snap your fingers to emulate a female's response chances are you'll attract a male and he'll land on your hand to investigate. I've had this happen a few times during the summer, and it's really fun if you can snap loud because you can direct them like sonar.

I know a lot about cicadas....don't judge me.

Don't ever keep them though, they feed on tree sap with a long probe that erects from the shield like plating they have on their face. They won't feed on anything else so they'll starve if they don't have a tree in their habitat. Generally cicadas only emerge every 13 years or so but there is enough of them in the ground that you'll usually see them every year.

The buzzing sound you hear is when they seek mates. They rub their wings together to create the noise you hear, only males do this. If you snap your fingers to emulate a female's response chances are you'll attract a male and he'll land on your hand to investigate. I've had this happen a few times during the summer, and it's really fun if you can snap loud because you can direct them like sonar.

All rise for the Honorable Badspot.

You may be seated.

Prosecution calls Sir. Alkatjo to the witness stand.

ya cicadas are actually harmless af despite size and creepy looks. they arent disgusting and hard to remove like roosterroaches either, and arent impossible to kill like they are.

you may not want them on you but they are generally pretty cool to have in your neighborhood or environment as rarely one gets to see bugs this big

Last time the Great Eastern Brood came, when I was about 7 or 8, we would pick them up or catch them out of the air because they flew so slow. They're harmless, and not so bad looking in person. They're one of the most docile insects when held, too. I like them. Also, my dad taped himself eating them to audition for Fear Factor.