Author Topic: Games that unexpectedly got scary  (Read 4287 times)

post moments games you've played that unexpectedly got scary.

for me, it was Rayman 2 TGE.

The first moment it get's scary is when you go to find a cure for your friend Clark, who is in critical condition. He tells you to go to a place called The Marshes of Awakening, and confront someone named Jano. He says that Jano has the entrance to a place that serves as a sort of trial of worthiness, and if you pass it, you will be given an elixir that will save Clark.

It starts out sort of spooky but not exactly terrifying:

You encounter Jano's minions here, who if eat you if you get too close:

later in the end, you confront Jano, who suddenly begins chasing you saying "Your journey ends here!" AND LOOK AT THIS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCuQddWQvPI

afterwards the game takes a break from the scary stuff, until you reach a new level called The Canopy. It starts out a calm forest, but as soon as you take a few steps forward, the game throws a completely new enemy at you - a giant spider that ambushes you and THIS music starts playing.

this is the only scary part of the level

next, we have the sanctuary of stone and fire. Most of the time it's just an old temple kind of thing, with lava running through it and several enemies youve seen before, but one particular area in it is a cave, and there you face this thing:

It only comes out when you have your back turned, so as a little kid this thing was the stuff of nightmares

The final scary part of the game is the level "Tomb of the Ancients". Now, the first thing you notice about the level is the creepy music. Next, you go out and are greeted by TWO MORE GIANT SPIDERS

Next, you see there's some weird liquid surrounding the platform you're on, it appears to be oil with tons of bones floating in it. Oh, and the walls and floor are sometimes made of gravestones

another spooky thing I found in the level as a kid was the grave yard encountered during it. The graves have mummified remains of Robot pirates, but the thing that creeped me out the most as a kid, was the fact that the robot pirates only came to the main character (rayman)'s planet in the beginning of the game, so that means that something killed them and wrapped them up rather recently. not to mention that there are a few chests int he grave yard with SKELETON ARMS THAT PULL YOU IN:

And there's also a few robot pirates still functioning that patrol the area, and if you defeat them, and the replay the level later on, they are replaced by zombie versions of themselves:

And finally, we encounter the creepiest enemy in the game, the zombie chicken:

This is a blue-eyed one, which actively stalks the player

This is one without eyes, which charges at the player

these guys both sometimes rise out of the ground, or simple fade into existence in dark areas

when they move they make weird squirming sounds like a barrel full of worms :( https://youtu.be/qLbRO0hy5nY?t=364

edit:
oh also there was a room in one level with tons of bouncing eyes for some reason
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 03:43:47 PM by Lego lad »

Pa er Mario and the Thousand Year Door. Cha ter 4: For Pigs the Bell Tolls.

As a kid this cha ter suddenly changed the tone. The music was unsettling as forget. Hearing a bell and seeing  eo le turn into  igs I was scared I was on a time limit and some times even shut off the Gamecube when I heard the bell so Mario wouldn't turn into a  ig. I was scared when Doo liss showed u  and took over your body and had a scary looking idle animation. Just the whole cha ter was unsettling to me as a kid.

neither of those are scary wtf

batman arkham with scarecrow making it look like the game crashed

AAA

Pa er Mario and the Thousand Year Door. Cha ter 4: For Pigs the Bell Tolls.

As a kid this cha ter suddenly changed the tone. The music was unsettling as forget. Hearing a bell and seeing  eo le turn into  igs I was scared I was on a time limit and some times even shut off the Gamecube when I heard the bell so Mario wouldn't turn into a  ig. I was scared when Doo liss showed u  and took over your body and had a scary looking idle animation. Just the whole cha ter was unsettling to me as a kid.

wtf is wrong with your p button

wtf is wrong with your p button
the chapter's boss steals the letter 'p'

the chapter's boss steals the letter 'p'

i am a handicap, please run me over with a truck and bury me in a landfill

one time I tried to play gtav and I bluescreened

i was unnecessarily spooked of winter windster

i am a handicap, please run me over with a truck and bury me in a landfill
i  romise i will  lease this request

halo CE with its last levels that were flood only

too much for my 10 year old mind