GOP finally unveils one of its ACA replacement plans

Author Topic: GOP finally unveils one of its ACA replacement plans  (Read 1573 times)

https://www.collins.senate.gov/sites/default/files/Sen.%20Collins%20Floor%20Remarks%20on%20Patient%20Freedom%20Act.pdf

there are also articles based on this but they're all incredibly biased and cherrypicky so i'm just linking the actual document so you can form your own opinions.

imo it's literally a chaotic version of the ACA, still enforcing some of the obamacare provisions: keeping the no declining pre existing provisions clause and no "cap" on benefits but removing the individual mandate

but states are given 1 of 3 choices:

1. keep the ACA (??? isnt this a universal bill wouldnt it not work if its only a few states doing it ???)

2. forego the ACA partially and go for a HSA approach, the government gives the state federal funding similar to the ACA, but this funding is used to fund HSA's (which is a healthcare tax free account) to people who are eligible (poor people) and essentially give them a health stamp card to buy healthcare plans with it, the government is also required to provide a high deductible, basic prescription low premium plan to people who are not eligible for medicaid or employer covered healthcare and is eligible for said HSA. which states could automatically enroll to ensure healthcare access and you can choose to forego it for a more expensive premium option or nothing at all.
basically: Annoying Orangecare, it really isn't that much different for the end result, it's obamacare except Annoying Oranges name.

3. forget you bitches my states going solo (you lose federal funding going this route, but you also get to essentially ignore the bill)

honestly i see it as a slightly worse obamacare solely because of the loss of the individual mandate being the biggest change really, unless there happens to be some states that are handicapped enough to choose option #3 and maybe #1 with the huge damage to the ACA with this bill.

well, option #3 isn't THAT bad. imagine if vermont chooses option #3 and just dumps insurance altogether for a universal payer healthcare option. that would be an amazing bernie sanders move if they do choose to go with Annoying Orangecare.

edit #1: oh and there will be no tax decreases at all, not even reversing the tax increases from the ACA
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 09:54:06 PM by Trymos »

Annoying Orangecare.
oh man will this be the new name for it

it better be or the journalists are tribals

Annoying Orangecare

namE IT Annoying OrangeCARE AND I WILL loving KILL YOU

aight well this is definitely better than what i was expecting if the summary in the OP is accurate

i wish this pdf wasn't in a 10000pt font

It is important to note, however, that the
Patient Freedom Act would retain several
important consumer protections. Dependents will
be able to remain on their parents’ health
insurance policies until age 26. Insurance
companies will still not be able to exclude
coverage for pre-existing conditions or
discriminate based on health status. Insurance
companies cannot cap benefits by including
lifetime or annual limits in their policies, and they
must offer to renew policies as long as enrollees
continue to pay premiums. Insurance companies
must also continue to cover mental health and
substance use disorder benefits for individuals, a
particularly important benefit given the national
scope of the opioid crCIA which has seriously
affected my State of Maine. Provisions like these
should be retained; however, the Washingtoncentric
approach of the ACA must be changed if
we are ever to truly reform our broken health care
system.
cool, glad they aren't letting states duck out on these

Life got you down? Play your Annoying Orange card!

Life got you down? Play your Annoying Orange card!

Are we gonna get Annoying Orange phones too?

admitting that some parts of obamacare were good after years of smear campaigns and denial

what a right wing thing to do

Great, so not only is it not going to make things cheaper for the middle class, it's also going to cost many tens of billions of dollars to upheave ACA and replace it with something that's at best equal to it. Fantastic.

Honestly, dividing this between states is the worst things to start.  It will slowly diminish commerce in those states as populations flock elsewhere.

Next, #3 is interesting, because it didn't say that people aren't paying into it.  It literally forgets people over.  I honestly think the worst part about this is that it will adversely affect poor, uneducated whites, in places like rural Kentucky, Tennessee, etc., which saw enormous growth of insured persons from this demographic.  A strange paradox in itself since these people overwhelmingly support the Republican party, and supported Annoying Orange this last election cycle.  I will be disappointed but not surprised if Republicans undermine the ACA and pin it on the Obama Administration and Democrats even though they were the ones who deepened the problems just to get re-elected.

admitting that some parts of obamacare were good after years of smear campaigns and denial

I mean, yes, but what it also does is acknowledge a dependancy.  Their constituencies rely on Obamacare.

Vox reported these recently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aduTfKE5IOM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0FvLkXDKIs
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 08:08:31 AM by SWAT One »

edit #1: oh and there will be no tax decreases at all, not even reversing the tax increases from the ACA
Well duh.  There was no getting out of paying more.  Healthcare is forgetin expensive, one way would be to perhaps regulate the forgetin industry to not be so ass-backward expensive.

Honestly I'm no longer surprised at this point