Author Topic: [NEWS] Mosque in Quebec is attacked by gunmen  (Read 17603 times)

also "your own" is arbitrary. your family is no better than another. your tribe is no better than another. your city is no better than another. your country is no better than another. your race is no better than another. your religion is no better than another.

something being yours doesn't make it better. nationalism is for the selfish.

I feel like people have confused nationalism and patriotism lately. A lot of people seem to think nationalism is patriotism.

I feel like people have confused nationalism and patriotism lately. A lot of people seem to think nationalism is patriotism.

i'm not confusing the two

i'm not confusing the two
I'm not talking about you, im talking in general.
People seem to think that thinking "America is the #1 country everyone else sucks we should close ourselves off and be isolated" is patriotism and I think that's why there's a large rise in it.

ah
yeah that makes sense.

also "your own" is arbitrary. your family is no better than another. your tribe is no better than another. your city is no better than another. your country is no better than another. your race is no better than another. your religion is no better than another.

Moral relativism is for the handicapped

i'm not going to debate with moral relativism within politics

a lot of people like to virtue signal because they think that their politics/ideas makes them 'good people'. however, 'good' is just a point of view, same with 'selfish', and what you consider be selfish, such as holding one's own family/nation closer to their heart, i may consider to be good. this is one of the big reasons that moral relativism is stupid stuff to bring into things like this, because there's never going to be a winner or even a 'right' side at this point

like red spy put it,
Moral relativism is for the handicapped
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 07:16:04 PM by Decepticon »

i'm not going to debate with moral relativism within politics

a lot of people like to virtue signal because they think that their politics/ideas makes them 'good people'. however, 'good' is just a point of view, same with 'selfish', and what you consider be selfish, such as holding one's own family/nation closer to their heart, i may consider to be good. this is one of the big reasons that moral relativism is stupid stuff to bring into things like this, because there's never going to be a winner or even a 'right' side at this point

like red spy put it,
What he's trying to say is that Nationalism is putting yourself above others. It's not saying "i want to keep my people safe" it's saying "those who aren't my people don't deserve to be safe." It's entirely centered around helping yourself and refusing to help other people whatsoever because they are not 'you'

I don't necessarily understand what moral relativism means, but i'm sure saying that others don't deserve something as much as your people do is entirely selfish and damaging, especially when your people already have more things than others.

Imagine you have a banana peel on your lawn and your neighbor has ten trash cans that someone dumped all over theirs. Most people would offer to help them automatically, since it benefits you in the sense that you now have a good relationship with that person, and it also benefits them because you just helped them clean up their lawn. Nationalism would be refusing to help because you believe your lawn is superior and want it to stay that way forever, and want their lawn to look bad so you look better. You lose nothing, your neighbor loses a lot. On the flipside, you could help them, lose very little and help them greatly.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 08:13:30 PM by PhantOS »