SAMURAI JACK IS COMING BACK ON ADULT SWIM 3/11/17

Poll

hype?

hype
22 (59.5%)
hype
15 (40.5%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: SAMURAI JACK IS COMING BACK ON ADULT SWIM 3/11/17  (Read 16449 times)

HERE WE loving GO

THIS IS IT

THIS IS WHAT WE WATCH FOR

Without spoiling anyone else, rate the ending. Or just give your general thoughts.

I'll give it an 8/10. There are some pacing issues that I knew would be there, but overall satisfying.

Without spoiling anyone else, rate the ending. Or just give your general thoughts.

I'll give it an 8/10. There are some pacing issues that I knew would be there, but overall satisfying.

Same. There are some mechanics issues that I won't get into until everyone has seen it but the crucial moment was loving awesome.

the ending pisses me off >:(

There are some pacing issues that I knew would be there, but overall satisfying.

I have mixed feelings about the ending. It's an ending worthy of the "we forgot to fill in some discrete plot-holes so we'll just leave you with this WACKY CRAZY TWIST that is BOUND to leave you SATISFIED but EMOTIONALLY DESTROYED" award.

I'm happy there is closure but I'm disappointed it has to end(?) that way.

Actually, having some time to think on subject. It kind of works this way. I can't be mad.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 02:59:28 AM by Alkatjo »

Tumblr whining about Jack X Ashi being canon compilation

Here are my complete thoughts on the ending.

[spoilers] It's the Gurren Lagann ending. I didn't like that ending at all and I think it should have ended when Simon had beaten the Spiral King. Here, it's alleviated by the fact that I had guessed prior that Ashi wouldn't make it to the end of the series, but I'm not going to act like it's the perfect ending, given the similarities.

The more I think about it, the more it dissatisfies me. The fact of the matter is that they should have killed off Ashi long before the final showdown with Aku, and the pain it causes Jack should have played into the final blow against Aku. They should have also tied Jack's return to the past with Aku or, better yet, have Jack discover another time portal. Time travel is the worst possible story element to work with, and it sucks that Genndy couldn't do a better job with it, given how good of a story writer he is. If Ashi never existed, yet the original Jack was still sent to the future, then there's no way that he could return to the past, given that Ashi didn't exist, so she couldn't inherit Aku's powers and open a time portal. That means Jack would still be stuck in the future. Again, time travel is hard to write with, because you run into confusing loving paradoxes like this all the time. I'm confusing myself with the logistics of it already.

It's not hard at all to see the positive, though. The amount of callbacks was insane, and it really helped to tie everything Jack has done for the people together into one defining moment where they all return the favor. It was interesting to see Aku utilize an old technique, too; when the supporting cast was getting too close, he created tiny little versions of himself who fought like regular humans, which is exactly what he did against Jack's father during their battle. It was absolutely heartwarming to see the lengths these regular people would go to in order to defeat Aku, even though they probably knew they couldn't actually do stuff against him, and that made it all the more heartbreaking when Aku's rainstorm attack killed the robot people (ON CAMERA TOO). There was no shortage of feels whatsoever.

The Scotsman was on loving point, as always. The interaction between Jack was killer and I was surprised to see his bagpipe become a weapon, seeing as how it was just a gag in the earlier seasons, sometimes becoming a tool. I have no idea about the way he and his daughters rolled into battle though. Is that actually real Celtic lore with the deer and the floating? IDK, still cool.

The piece de resistance is the final blow against Aku. Granted, Jack has split Aku in half before and he's survived it just fine, but this time Jack came prepared. The way the killing strike was shot is so reminiscent of the first couple of episodes of the entire series that it hurts. It's the best way to tie up the entire conflict, in my opinion. The slow-mo was also necessary as forget.
[/spoilers]

So basically, yeah. 8/10. Good stuff, could use some tweaking.

-snip-

welp

I had originally wanted the relationship to stay platonic or have Ashi die early on because I wanted to see Jack take out Aku without the help of any outside forces besides the ones that were already established in the older seasons

but hey triggering SJWs is also quite alright with me

"You're dead?" "Aye! Just a wee bit."

the scotsman will never not be funny

Liked it. Good closure to something from my childhood.

[spoilers]
The more I think about it, the more it dissatisfies me. The fact of the matter is that they should have killed off Ashi long before the final showdown with Aku, and the pain it causes Jack should have played into the final blow against Aku.
[/spoilers]
[spoilers]Hmm, I personally have to disagree with this part - I think it would have been weaker if Ashi was killed off prior because to me it'd just be cliche. The whole scenario of a person dying simply to fuel someone's anger and determination has been done to death for me, it just feels like a plot device at this point. I'm glad that she didn't beforehand because I was totally just expecting it to go that route and was pleased it didn't.

Like iunno, regarding that idea, the Scotsman is kind of an example. Despite being in tandem with fanservice, you feel more invigorated knowing that he's still around as a force - if instead the situation was he died, the Celtic magic was bollocks, and all of his daughters were angry for revenge, I feel like as a viewer you would not be as invigorated as you would be otherwise, but then again you'd feel cucked because typically people went into this new season seeing the promos with the Scotsman anyway and to flat out kill him without him being a Scottish spirit would just be dissapointing, so my example may not be the best. Nonetheless, I understand the sentiment of Jack having a longer one on one showdown with Aku instead. Perhaps Jack is heading over to his lair and Aku summons a bunch of minions and then all of Jack's supporting cast fights off the minions while Jack and Aku go at it inside the tower?  I don't know how they'd quite do it, but regardless I would like to hear your opinion on my thoughts as well. This show brings up a lot of varying and interesting viewpoints and it's quite fun to read some of them.

Overall, as a series, I feel that for a show that typically uses build up and slow pacing to paint their episodes, the later episodes didn't quite have that for me as opposed to the first ones. It kind of shows that they had to pack all of this into 10 episodes, and I think it's hampered a bit because of it. Still, I find that I really enjoy it. The characters are engaging, the animation and imagery are stellar, and I think that it was still able to capture the essence of when I watched it when I was younger - that feeling of "I am watching something very important that's larger than me." That final shot was beautiful.
[/spoilers]
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 11:38:47 AM by Flamecannon »

Tumblr whining about Jack X Ashi being canon compilation

Ashi doesn't even exist anymore, how can it be canon then?