Almost 12 Years Ago I Made This Community My Home

Author Topic: Almost 12 Years Ago I Made This Community My Home  (Read 5923 times)

I've made a couple of topics like these before, but I was talking to Lalam on Facebook the other night about old Blockland memories and it refueled my powerful nostalgia for the old days.

From toddler to teenager I was homeschooled, K-8th grade. I lived really far back off the road on a big plot of land and my extended family lived hours away. My sisters- the youngest of which I am 10 years and two weeks younger than- were already out of the house by the time I was 8. That's not to say that we ever played together, because we didn't. My dad was a magician by hobby and I was his assistant, which provided me with little peeks into the outside world, to see what it was like to be a kid living on the outside who went to school and had friends. I envied these kids so much but the only times I was allowed to be social were at church, and I hated church. So, I spent probably 99% of my time playing by myself, discovering the internet and playing games. I made a friend here and there via my dad who rented land to people, but they quickly grew away from me or began to dislike me.

After I turned 11, my mom and dad were fighting more than ever, he was drinking more than ever, and I was more disconnected from my parents than ever. I spent days at a time completely alone playing by myself, sometimes not eating, just sort of withering away. I was using AIM a lot but never really felt like I was connecting with anyone. I tried joining a few other communities and never really grooving, but I discovered Blockland in 2005 and clicked immediately. Something about the game and the people playing, it just felt like I was home somewhere, finally. I had friends I talked to and played with every day. I finally felt like I was part of something. When my dad died later that year, Blockland became the only thing of any value in my life. Wake up, play Blockland for 12-24 hours, browse the forums, go to sleep, that was my entire routine for months. My friends on Blockland were the only things keeping me sane, which was the case for years afterward, talking me out of various suicidal thoughts and keeping me company.

My mom remarried soon after our business went under and we lost all of our assets so we wouldn't be homeless. He was an abusive alcoholic. I decided to try out public high school but I was so completely socially handicapped that I had no idea what to do. I turned to threatening people and keeping people far away, relying on Blocklanders to keep me company instead. Every day after school I would hole up in my room playing Blockland and TF2 until bedtime, trying to stay away from my stepdad. It wasn't until my mom and I finally moved out of that hellhole and got a place of our own that my Blockland friends started pushing me to reform myself at my next high school. So I tried, and I made a couple friends, most of whom I don't really talk to anymore.

The rest is fairly uneventful and uninteresting (well, the whole thing is uninteresting, but whatever) so I will spare those details and fast forward to current day.

I still don't really have any real life friends, and I don't know most of the people here anymore, but Blockland was responsible for literally every single one of my most cherished memories as a kid and I'll never forget that. I am pushing myself every day to put myself out there and make something of myself and find happiness, and I don't think I'd be here to do that right now if it wasn't for Blockland. I guess I could say I literally owe my life to this place, which is probably pretty lame but who cares.

I'll shut up now, I doubt most will read this or care, but I felt like I needed to say it again how deeply grateful I am for this game and community. It's the only community I've ever felt really a part of and I don't see myself severing ties with you all any time soon. I definitely won't say I had a bad childhood- I always had a roof over my head, food, and clean water readily available to me, for which I am all extremely thankful- but all of that only go so far without meaningful social interaction, which I got here.

tl;dr: Blockland is responsible for the best memories I have of my childhood and provided the only meaningful social interaction I ever had for years and years and I'm a huge friend hahaahsdhasdhghffhsah.

Touching story. A lot of my best memories from middle school and high school also come from Blockland and video games and general, but Blockland was definitely a big form of escape for me as a kid. It still is sometimes. It's very easy to meet creative and fun people in this community, and the game itself feels so free. As a shy but inventive kid it only makes sense that I was drawn to it, and that seems to be the case for many people here too.

Thanks for sharing your story with us verticalhorizon, I never knew your upbringing was so rough. It's nice that we all have this game to turn to for comfort when we're feeling low.

8 Years and going strong! My life hasn't exactly been spectacular either, and I'm glad I've always had a place like this to go to.

June 30, 2008 is literally the day of when i begged my mom before she went to work to buy me a key for blockland, and i ended up actually getting into the game. i signed up for my original forums account too that day, which to this day i don't regret. i've met lifelong friends here, started some really big events, ran one of the bigger clans of blockland, and had a blast doing it.

i don't want to go deep into that subject, but i will talk about a crazy story that happened over a year or so ago. many people have heard of the famous "old" users like Facechild, Bones4, Hugums, Djy1991, and so on. those very people i mentioned i've actually talked to recently out of a weird connection between MackTheHunter and Bones4 one night. we (mack and i) played Elite:Dangerous with Bones and Hugums, which for me i've talked to Hugums before and for mack he's known him since he ran Blockintosh in 2008. Bones got involved because mack somehow figured out he's very serious into E:D and started playing with us. we'd all have a fun time with the game, but afterwards we'd literally get forgeted up and do stupid stuff like play "would you rather?" or Bones goes on omegle and wears stupid stuff and pretends he's pissass drunk.

the weirdest night was when mack told me "hey you wanna play GTAV with bones, facechild, djy1991?" was the question of a lifetime not to say no. facechild, djy, and bones all known each other for a LONG time, so really the only people who are new to them is me and mack. we decided to play blockland first because i thought it would of been HILARIOUS to join a server and say "i summon FACECHILD" and all of a sudden he joins. people flipped stuff on the server, naturally, so we had a organized plan on this chaos: we RP as bees. we dressed up as bees and only say "buzz buzz" in the chat. the server admins built a hive for us to live in, and others joined in on it. at one point it was a full server because the word passed that this was going on. after awhile, we changed the RP theme to hobos and took over the hoster's city build by building trash can fires, boxes, empty liqour bottles. we did end up all playing GTAV when djy joined in, which i kept killing facechild over and over again which was pretty funny.

tl;dr: this community no matter how old you are (or how long you've been in the community) is pretty amazing. we all can get along (for the most part) and do some pretty funny stuff together either in the game or just in the community. i love this place and i don't think i can leave it after almost a decade of playing the game, or talking to the people i've considered my friend for a very long time. thank you guys for shaping my life for the past 9 years!

We love you too fam. We're always here whenever you need us.

we RP as bees. we dressed up as bees and only say "buzz buzz" in the chat. the server admins built a hive for us to live in, and others joined in on it. at one point it was a full server because the word passed that this was going on.
what the forget, this is some surreal alt universe parody of Blockland type gameplay.
This is one of the greatest things I have ever read of happening in this game.

I joined the forums back in 2011 on my main account, and my ingame ID is 30051, but I played the demo alone for quite some time before buying a key. Blockland has always been fun (though I miss the terrain for its ability to handle physics) and although I was a loser sperglord, I was tolerated. Got autobanned back in 2013 for mentioning the name of a shock site, pulled out this alt so that my forum name would match my ingame name. I'm still a bit of a sperg, but I'd like to think I'm a lot better now than I used to be. Life is full of surprises.

I was a regular on Tomtom's Trench TDM back in the day, and I still miss that server. Sure, the weapons weren't really balanced, but it was a lot of simple fun. After that went down, I hung out on many other servers. There was Danny Boy's Halo 3 TDM, DrenDran's Trainyard TDM, Glass's Trench Wars, Furling's Submarine TDM, some RP servers that don't warrant mentioning, Zombies in the Bluzone, Pecon7's Boss Battles, Reinforcement's Trench Wars (also imbalanced fun), Redguy's Unlimited Mining (nowadays I don't understand how this entertained me), Honor's Honormining, Scenery's (Gy's) Battlemix... so entertaining.

I still regale my friends with stories of times on this game, like the time Tomtom invited me to join him and many others in crashing Kalphiter's New Years Eve party a week early. Tomtom managed to break the music script and Kalph got quite upset.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 12:23:27 PM by King of the Bill »

It's always interesting to hear how this one block building game out of many others has affected it's players and how it's helped them through the tough times of their lives and how it's even helped people learn, grow and mature, it makes me wonder if things like this happen with other games and their communities

Since everyone is else is contributing a story of how they came across this forum I guess I'll say mine too! I was around 9 when I first discovered this game through some videos, I remember running into the living room and begging my mom and dad for a key and them oddly enough saying yes immediately! I downloaded the game and god, I must have spent hundreds of hours playing it. I loved it, especially how dedicated the community was at making new gamemodes like Zombie Survival and some classic stuff like Freebuilds. It was around a year or a bit less later that I discovered this forum, and immediately signed up. When I first signed up I was very young, so most of the poking and teasing that happened went right over my head. And as time moved on I ended up moving, my parents broke up, and I was alone a lot. But this forum was here for me. I really didn't kind words and a hug, for my loneliness, I just needed a community, and that's what this place is.

I joined when I was 13 and I'm 20 now. This game really helped me become familiar with the numpad layout...... that's about it

if it weren't for this game I would have never met a certain person and I would probably be dead now