My Add-On discussion topic (Releasing stuff) - RandomizerDM is out!

Poll

If anything, what should I release first?

Fort Wars
5 (10.6%)
RandomizerDM
19 (40.4%)
Tower Defense
10 (21.3%)
Other mods
9 (19.1%)
Nothing
4 (8.5%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: My Add-On discussion topic (Releasing stuff) - RandomizerDM is out!  (Read 3242 times)

As far as some people know for several years I have had a couple gamemodes that I never released. The main reason why I never planned to release them is because there's a lot of things that happen in the gamemode (such as bugs that never got fixed and better ways for the gamemode to work better/faster) and I would have to make things a lot easier for everyone. The question here is, should I actually release my gamemodes?

I have been thinking about this for a very long time and it's a big decision to make because I have to rewrite some code to make things work properly and I also have to make a help section for the gamemode. Another thing is making support for add-ons like Slayer. Most of my gamemodes only run with v3 of Slayer.

I was thinking of releasing Fort Wars, Randomizer DM (along with a client GUI), Tower Defense, and a few other mods that never were seen again (such as GameMode maker).

What do you guys think?

Add-Ons released:
RandomizerDM
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 09:35:23 AM by Kyuande »

Why not just fix the code for all of them and release em all? I understand it would be a lot of work but nobody's holding you to a schedule. It would be a nice stim injection to the community. No point in dangling them before our noses like this ya know?

RANDOMIZER DM / GAMEMODE MAKER

Why not just fix the code for all of them and release em all? I understand it would be a lot of work but nobody's holding you to a schedule. It would be a nice stim injection to the community. No point in dangling them before our noses like this ya know?
I do understand that a lot of people would love to get their hands on these mods. The only problem is how much time it can take for me to fix each gamemode/mod. It may take a while get them released but I'm not so sure if that's what everyone really wants. That's why I am asking before I attempt anything.

By the end of the week I'll tally up the votes and release the most voted mod (as soon as possible) and then decide what else to release from there.

• Tower Defense is going to be the toughest to fix and the hardest to create a guide due to the pathfinding system and the complexity of the AI system.
  • Fort Wars is probably the easiest to release since there's really not that much to fix other than removing a couple of functions such as debugging and shape name passwords, it's always been a stable gamemode.
  • RandomizerDM is in the middle, some things have to be removed if it should be publicly released such as shape name passwords and debugging
  • Other mods contain GameMode Maker (lots and lots of new features and a GUI makeover) and making another GUI+ release (new features and bug fixes) and a few other mods that I've made over the years for other people for their own servers (Fixed version of Speedrun, better custom health mod, clearer of stuff (projectiles, emitters, lights, etc), custom chat for modders, support files for modders, and more).

These are all eventually getting released but I would rather have a list on what should be released first. I am a bit busy with life so things could be slow, but these will be on a to do list.

that one server mod you gave to me that does so that cool stuff

What about posting unfinished mods in a general discussion thread and letting other people fix the bugs? That way other people could potentially finish and release them while still giving yourself credit for the work.

that one server mod you gave to me that does so that cool stuff
I was thinking of separating some of that into different add-ons some day. Probably a good idea too.

What about posting unfinished mods in a general discussion thread and letting other people fix the bugs? That way other people could potentially finish and release them while still giving yourself credit for the work.
Not really sure about that, I don't like releasing unfinished work at all. I was already tempted to never release the CityRPG code but I had no choice anyways. I don't really have that many of unfinished mods it's just how many are NOT released because of how private they are to me and a few other people that were server specific; since it's been a long time a few of those gamemodes will be released. The few gamemodes I will not release for a long time is Deathrace and Deathcube, these are still being hosted and getting players and I would also have to ask Kong123 permission to release them (they are also a bit amount of work because they are add-on dependent). It's that time where a lot of these mods are old enough to be released and I don't like keeping my add-ons private forever either.

Other thing to add to the mod list is The Thing, I managed to fix the client crashing and kill most of the bugs.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 03:16:59 PM by Kyuande »

Alright so I made a list on what to release based on what is being released first to last, thanks for everyone who has voted, this will help me figure out which order the mods will come.
I know I did say Friday I'll tally up votes, but this is a plan and will switch up the orders if votes change the orders.

Gamemode: Randomizer
      - Will add a bunch of Slayer prefs since there are NONE for this gamemode
      - Client GUI that makes adding categories and weapons easy to add into the randomizer
      - Reveal system at a specific time to prevent people from camping
      - Special rounds to spice up the gamemode

Other Mods - These are out of order, there is no specific release order for these
      - Gamemode Maker (revised & new features)
      - The Thing (fixed)
      - Support_Environments (Client environments but requires a DLL for use)
      ~ Support_AutoSaver (Can save/load/autoload environments)
      - Sound_AllahuAkbar
      - Script_SpinMe (Tumbling and in the air with full control)
      - Server_StaffChat
      - Script_ClearerOfStuff (Clear projectiles, emitters, lights audio profiles such as Music)
      - Server_CustomChat
      - Script_MedicVoice (Press E to scream a medic voice)
      - Script_Lightning (Examples of the Lightning object)
      - Event_DisablePaintBuild (Prevent specific players from building/eventing)
      - Event_doTeleport (Added vehicle and bot teleporting)
      - Event_onChatInput (fixed version)
      - Script_LoopDeLoop (Thread loops such as your body/head constantly spinning 360 degrees)
      - Script_Self DeleteRespawn (Self Delete replaced to respawn players)
      - Server_EnvironmentNotice (Tell everyone who is changing the environment)
      - Server_SpeedRun (Fixed version of speed run, includes a level saving system)
      - Support_MapChanger (Change/save map using the autosaving mechanism, save environments for each map, set a difficulty, and max/min player count for the map, voting system or a rotation)
      - Support_Health (Fixed custom health system)
      - Script_AvatarOverwrite (If you do not like what someone wears then force their avatar to look like something else)
      - (This isn't the end of the list, there might be more I can't think of)

Gamemode: Tower Defense
      - Complicated gamemode
      - Can make your own towers that have custom paths (health, attack speed, min/max range to shoot, cost, weapon, etc)
      - Custom difficulty system which makes different types of bots to start off with
      - Custom node system using Port's A* path finder
      - Unfinished/discontinued in a way but can still be released at its state
      - Can control towers
      - Can heal towers
      - Recommended for a tiny group of players

Gamemode: Fort Wars
      - Prevent people from killing builders (no damage to builder) (pref for damage penalty to attacker)
      - Fort wars events to force players to attack mode when entering someone's base
      - Clans (they can't damage each other and can use a party chat system with admins/super admins of the party)
      - Toggle builder command, prevents being a builder if near an enemy base (timeouts after being attacked/attacking)
      - Max range and height for building depending on where the event's limits were set at
      - Lots more features, this will highly improve a lot of "Fort Wars" servers

Alright so I made a list on what to release based on what is being released first to last, thanks for everyone who has voted, this will help me figure out which order the mods will come.
I know I did say Friday I'll tally up votes, but this is a plan and will switch up the orders if votes change the orders.

Other Mods - These are out of order, there is no specific release order for these
      - Event_doTeleport (Added vehicle and bot teleporting)
      - Script_Self DeleteRespawn (Self Delete replaced to respawn players)
      - Support_MapChanger (Change/save map using the autosaving mechanism, save environments for each map, set a difficulty, and max/min player count for the map, voting system or a rotation)
      - Support_Health (Fixed custom health system)

Gib please

Event_doTeleport (Added vehicle and bot teleporting)
Does your vehicle teleportation teleport the vehicle to a brick? Or a coordinate.
Also does it allow you to set whether or not the vehicle keeps its velocity?

Does your vehicle teleportation teleport the vehicle to a brick? Or a coordinate.
Also does it allow you to set whether or not the vehicle keeps its velocity?
Both. The brick teleports only to a brick's location using the brick's name (just like the other one). The vehicle/bot works by getting the current brick's vehicle/bot though since there isn't an easy way to find out what vehicle/bot it is, they aren't transferred when the event processes (only on some input events)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 06:33:25 PM by Kyuande »

Both. The brick teleports only to a brick's location using the brick's name (just like the other one). The vehicle/bot works by getting the current brick's vehicle/bot though since there isn't an easy way to find out what vehicle/bot it is, they aren't transferred when the event processes (only on some input events)
If I'm reading this correctly, it would work for something like this:
OnVehicleEnterZone -> Brick -> doVehicleTeleport?
Or something else.