why aren't there any tutorials on building nicely?

Author Topic: why aren't there any tutorials on building nicely?  (Read 3658 times)

/title
im jealous of good builders :(

Because it depends on what you want to build, then there's the matter of different styles and level of detail

I think we could deal with some tutorials like how to make a circle or a ship hull

It's like all forms of art, you can gain a bit from others but in the end you have to do it yourself. My recommendation would be to just dedicate an hour a day to building a little house or something of the sort, use images of the style of architecture you wish to replicate and just keep improving!

There aren't any tutorials on anything creative beyond basic tool explanations (controls, handy add-ons, modelling programs, text editors, etc) and rules (what isn't feasible when it comes to building, keeping models flat shaded, syntax for coding).

Because there really isn't a way to teach someone how to be creative in a specific field. All you can do is practice.

Put it this way: you can build like the people you're jealous of, you don't need a tutorial. If you set aside 30 minutes to build a crate, you'll have built the best crate in the world. Nobody can teach you how to interpret your own imagination.

The key isn't competence, it's efficiency. Great builders are good at what they do because they can make great builds in a reasonable time frame. They can build in a day what might take a new builder a week.

It's like art, every style is unique

But I agree that there needs to be a video for "building tips" or something like that

Check out this steam guide if you want basic advice: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=227332690
But really, it's up to your imagination to decide how you want to build, like the other people in this thread are saying.

Put it this way: you can build like the people you're jealous of, you don't need a tutorial. If you set aside 30 minutes to build a crate, you'll have built the best crate in the world. Nobody can teach you how to interpret your own imagination.

The key isn't competence, it's efficiency. Great builders are good at what they do because they can make great builds in a reasonable time frame. They can build in a day what might take a new builder a week.
this is incredibly relevant. i always feel like i build like stuff but if i sit down and go at it for hours i get something i deem as decent to good

I enjoy going on peoples servers to find neat and clever combinations of bricks to achieve shapes and styles I would have not thought of.
We dont need tutorials so much as we need suggestions and references.

I enjoy going on peoples servers to find neat and clever combinations of bricks to achieve shapes and styles I would have not thought of.
We dont need tutorials so much as we need suggestions and references.
Suggestions and references are underrated, by far. It does not hurt to look for inspiration.

suggestions and references are what we have
if we had straight up tutorials, we might as well just code/macro it

Just build lego style. It's what I do.

Who cares if your builds aren't fully furnished and crap with 3401328 custom bricks.