Would making blockland F2P make the game more popular?

Author Topic: Would making blockland F2P make the game more popular?  (Read 2701 times)

When I bought the game back in 5th grade, it was quite hard for me to scrounge up 20 bucks for a game that i've been demo-ing for a couple months.
I think that if the game were to be made free-to-play it would receive a lot more attention, for:
           a) Showing up on Steam as a F2P game garners a bit more attention from gamers that aren't looking for a commitment
           b) Allows a bit more easy access to younger/perhaps target age people (Cause it's a lego game.)
Really, I don't know if Badspot is making a lot of revenue from the game. I mean, the last really major update, correct me if I'm wrong, was 4 years ago. Seeing that he isn't really doing a lot to add to the game makes me wonder if he's working on better, more profitable projects rather from BL. (If I'm incorrect and Badspot does do routine improvements on the game, then this is a moot point) Honestly, I have nothing wrong if he really is letting BL sit there and make money for him. However, I think that if the game were F2P it would vastly increase the playerbase.

Just something I was thinking about

its pretty obvious making it free would at least temporarily increase the size of the community but as seen by the steam release very few new users stay around for more than a couple days

well its literally free money for him at this point. he had moved on to other projects we dont hear about, but idk if he wants to give up free money.

also on steam the cost of the game is $10-15 instead of 20. bit easier to scrounge up, esp if you do a lot of steam card trading

Look at roblox and think whether you really want those people on your blockland servers... number of players isn't everything.

didn't you argue once though that having more players, even bad ones, would be better for modders as they have more reason to try and make good content? i might be mistaken

Look at roblox and think whether you really want those people on your blockland servers... number of players isn't everything.

Yeah.

didn't you argue once though that having more players, even bad ones, would be better for modders as they have more reason to try and make good content? i might be mistaken
If he did this post doesn't contradict it, though. What's good for modders might not be good for everyone.

If he did this post doesn't contradict it, though. What's good for modders might not be good for everyone.
well, having more interesting content would support the game's lifetime more. i dont see how having more newbie players is a terrible thing. roblox's community is particularly bad because the demographic is preteen or younger - the content and level of self-driven interest required to really enjoy blockland naturally selects for older players.

its a bad sign for a game when the regulars are all growing up/oldcigarettes and there are no young players in the community. young players will always be immature, but that doesnt mean you should shun them from the game. younger players tend to have more time to spare to play and participate, while older players are less likely to get so deeply involved due to other commitments they probably have irl.

any game will always have stuffters, but depending on the community and the level of maturity exhibited by respected/older members, the "better" players we attract are more likely to stay around. raw number of players isnt everything, but it still means something.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 02:59:32 PM by Conan »

making the game f2p would definitely make it more popular, but would also decrease the quality of the game overall imo. im talking in terms of the multiplayer, because most likely if the game became f2p we would see an increase in players that are like 15 and under. not saying thats bad, but the server list would be be full of more low-quality servers.

but to contrast that, more people being involved in a game as a whole isn't bad, and im sure there would be a number of cool content creators that would join as well. as it is, i just dont think blockland is worth the money to most people. unless youre really into legos/creative sandbox games, it doesn't have much to offer

Blockland costs 10$. If you can't afford to pay 10$ you're either
a) Poor as forget
b) A small child

Having a pay wall stops handicaps from waltzing in and doing God knows what. Can you imagine how screwed we'd be if Badspot made Blockland free then Betel decided to forget stuff up? Making the game f2p only increases the number of cheap forgets who don't actually care about the game and are just here because it's free. That's a reason why Drama exists. We're a small enough community where people give a stuff about each other but large enough where everyone isn't a stuffhead. If the community got even two times larger it'd be incredibly hard to moderate.
I ran some numbers a while ago about how much money Badspot makes from Blockland every month, and it seems to be around 3-4k. A lot of people are still buying this. According to this the highest BL_ID is 217345, compared to around 215000 last month.

tl:dr
f2p is for the lazy forgets who don't want to spend money on things

Don't know if you're talking to me here, but there is a big difference between "more players" and the kind of players you get when you make a game free.

if we make it f2p add dlc
$5 hat dlc
$20 forum dlc
$10 join servers dlc

Badspot, is this the new Hat update?

They wont be bad if you control them.

The problem of Roblox is they give EXCESSIVE libertinism to their users.

uh, whats this do to forum accounts

now alts will actually be freeeeeee