Author Topic: More ModTer "shading" Prints  (Read 605 times)

The ones that comes originally with the modter gives it like a "shading" effect (sorry I forgot the right name for that) some have those bumps like the ramp texture that goes well with the shaders, my idea is to make more of these prints, for example ones that are like metal, wood, checkered, tiles, carpet and so on.

You mean the shine? I actually came across a way to adjust that, but it's a bit complex and it can't affect the overall shine because the game still takes into account the brightness and colors of the print, so there will still be parts that are brighter or darker than others, but for parts of the print that are blank, you can actually control the shine on those

You'll need VTF Edit, and Photoshop, Gimp, or whatever program can save TGA files with an alpha channel

When you've made your print, make a blank layer below that and make it any opaque shade from white to black, the brightness of this layer will affect the shine amount

Next you duplicate your print's layer, and merge your print's original layer to the shade layer below it

If you're using Photoshop, you can double click the duplicated print layer and apply a white color overlay to it, then make a layer below this one and make it black, then merge the duplicated layer with the black layer, this will be the alpha channel

With your would-be alpha channel visible, press Ctrl + A to select the whole image, Ctrl + C to copy it to the clipboard, then delete the layer

In the Layers tray, click the Channels tab and create a new channel, it will automatically be called Alpha 1, while the whole image is still selected and you have the Alpha 1 channel selected, press Ctrl + V to paste the black and white image into the alpha channel

Your image's RGB and alpha channels should now look like this

Note: I had to do a few extra steps because my print uses the brickSIDE texture, if you want to know how to that, i could make it into a separate tutorial as to not clutter this one up

Once that's all set up, save your image anywhere as a TGA with the alpha channel option checked

Then open up VTF Edit and press Ctrl + I to import an image, go to your TGA file and open it, you'll then be shown the VTF Options menu, make sure your import options look exactly like this

Once your image has been imported, optionally, you can press Ctrl + Shift + A to view the alpha channel and Ctrl + Shift + C to view the RGB channel to see if they're both intact, then press Ctrl + E to export your image and change the 'Save as type' to PNG, then just save your image and put it in your 'prints' folder

You don't need to do any of this for the icon as it's not gonna matter, so just make the icon as you normally would

Your print should then look like the one on the left

Note: The one drawback of doing this is that you'll end up with subtle white or black outlines on your print

https://pnggauntlet.com is good for smaller file sizes for any prints you make. I'd definitely like to see prints that are made for shaders since I'm not sure that many prints take into account transparency and shaders.