Server Snapshots - An easy way to Compile a Gamemode out of your Server Settings

Author Topic: Server Snapshots - An easy way to Compile a Gamemode out of your Server Settings  (Read 1662 times)

Ive been wanting a way to easily put together gamemodes directly off your current server settings, not to really be used as a Gamemode, but as a way to organize builds and their requirements.

A gamemode basically dictates what addons should and shouldn't be on, I figure using this feature to organize builds might be a decent alternative to keeping track of larger projects. I'm sure by now we've all had the pains of loading a build just to see that there are bricks missing because you forgot to enable a few other packs, or when a complex event chain fails because some obscure event was accidentally left off.

What I want to propose is a way to load a server with everything needed for a build or project, and then use some kind of program or tool compile your current server settings (loaded build and addons) into a basic gamemode that encapsulates that build. Basically, instead of needing to keep tabs on what addons a certain build uses, have a gamemode file that logs it for you. It would make build sharing and managing so much easier.

Note: I have limited knowledge as to how gamemode files work, so it's very possible that this idea can't possibly be done. Please let me know whats what. But be nice

Note: Elm's Add-on Presets mod allows for the saving and loading of addon presets, which basically does most of what Ive asked for. Now includes music lists to be saved within presets! Check it out.
Thanks Elm!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 03:04:43 PM by Mr.Noßody »

Id love to have this!
illreadallofthislatercozimontoiletsbutiwantedtobelefirstalsohio

This would save me so much time and many headaches.

/support

Could be done entirely with torquescript. You could even have it automatically load the build and environment.

Could be done entirely with torquescript. You could even have it automatically load the build and environment.

Yeah! I know gamemodes can load builds and save environment data, but I'm not sure if generating a workable gamemode file from how your server is set up is something that can be done.

It wont be able to generate them in zip format, but it's definitely possible.

The only issue is that you would have to manually edit the gamemode to add any additional add-ons, or completely remake it in custom.

The only issue is that you would have to manually edit the gamemode to add any additional add-ons, or completely remake it in custom.

Well that would preferably be part of the generation as documenting additional addons is the hardest part of the process. I suppose that would require the mod to also keep record of all addons on the server so it could then generate out the gamemode.txt with all the customs.

Looking into basic gamemodes it seems it's basically just your colorset, your save and preview image(s), an empty server.cs, a description.txt, and the gamemode.txt that references required addons and environment settings.

I suppose the real question is if all of the variables in the gamemode.txt can be called by a mod and then recorded into a .txt. It really doesn't sound impossible. But Im still not 100% sure.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 02:30:06 AM by Mr.Noßody »

Or you can just use this: https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=250288.0

Just doesn't compile into a gamemode, but you can have different add-ons enabled and load them by save-name.

Or you can just use this: https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=250288.0

Just doesn't compile into a gamemode, but you can have different add-ons enabled and load them by save-name.

Well, that does de-validate everything Ive asked for I suppose. And the twist is, Ive had your mod for years.

Well, that does de-validate everything Ive asked for I suppose. And the twist is, Ive had your mod for years.

Feelsforgottenman.jpg

It doesn't save my music. :(

I can update it i suppose. You just want music saving functionality added?

I can update it i suppose. You just want music saving functionality added?

Yeah, that would be great.
Also, sorry for literally forgetting your mod. I got it the day it came out, used it a bit, and then totally forgot.
and I feel bad about it

For what I'm trying to do ATM i support this

Yeah, that would be great.
Also, sorry for literally forgetting your mod. I got it the day it came out, used it a bit, and then totally forgot.
and I feel bad about it

Ok, music now saves. You can re-download from the same link:

https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=250288.0
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 03:00:56 PM by elm »