Author Topic: How to get animations to work?  (Read 2253 times)

I've been making add-ons by editing the default sword file, but the first person swinging animation doesn't work. I've tried adding keyframes during the firing state markers but that doesnt work either. How should I get it to work? I've checked the resource for the tutorials but i cant download the actual tutorial .txt file

I dunno about animations, but your post needs some context.

Link to what resources you're using, add pictures of what you're doing.

All I've been using is Blender so far. I've bee using keyframes [yellow lines] to rotate the sword.

ive put four keyframes in there to get the sword to rotate. I just imported the default sword and used those as a guide. Should I remake the firing state markers (orange arrows) for this weapon, and if i should, how? (found out how to make them, still didnt work)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 09:04:11 AM by Space1255 »

Did you use the animation name as the stateSequence of your fire state?

Did you use the animation name as the stateSequence of your fire state?
They are not. The statesequence names are "fire" and "stopfire". the markers are <fire:start> and <fire:stop>. Should I rename them to the fire and stopfire?

They are not. The statesequence names are "fire" and "stopfire". the markers are <fire:start> and <fire:stop>. Should I rename them to the fire and stopfire?
everything from <fire:start> to <fire:stop> is the firing animation. You don't want to change those. if there's a 'stopfire' sequence maybe try creating a marker after <fire:stop> called <stopfire:start> and just use static unanimated keyframes and end it with <stopfire:stop>

Also if you're using Port's dts animator, use :end instead of :stop
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 11:15:54 AM by PhantOS »

everything from <fire:start> to <fire:stop> is the firing animation. You don't want to change those. if there's a 'stopfire' sequence maybe try creating a marker after <fire:stop> called <stopfire:start> and just use static unanimated keyframes and end it with <stopfire:stop>

Also if you're using Port's dts animator, use :end instead of :stop
Blender in general doesnt like it when i use :Stop, so ive used :end. the <stopfire markers didnt work either. Should i try making a marker for every statename?

Any sequences you plan on using should have their own respective marker or else the animation wont show up in game

making markers for every statename is useless and wont work. only make it for the sequences

the way ports exporter works is that it looks for a name:start and a name:end marker in the timeline and then uses the keyframes between them to determine the animation played when that sequence is called through image states.

so you'd want to have a Fire:start and a Fire:end marker in there so there is a firing animation, and also a Ready:start and Ready:end with the root position.

make sure to update to the latest dts exporter by port as it fixes some case sensitivity bugs

Are the marker detector things case-sensitive? didn't read, i do have the latest version. If so, that'd explain my problem.
Here are my markers as of now:
*modified to include activate, prefire, and checkfire. Still doesnt work
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 07:29:49 PM by Space1255 »

post blend. animations have to be on empties and not mesh objects, btw. that might be your problem.

post blend. animations have to be on empties and not mesh objects, btw. that might be your problem.
Wait, empties? One sec, doing some research on this
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4dtivkyhpl21k1q/anim%20reference.blend?dl=0 blender file. I have no empties in this.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 08:14:31 PM by Space1255 »

make an empty, name it anything, put the sword under it and animate it

make an empty, name it anything, put the sword under it and animate it
Animate the empty or the sword?
stupidest question 2017. whats the point of animating something that doesnt get rendered?
how did i make it out of third grade
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 08:28:41 PM by Space1255 »

Ok wait when I see the sword dts there's two sword objects, one labeled sword and the other FPsword. Do I need to do the same thing to make it work???