Server Loading Screen Template

Author Topic: Server Loading Screen Template  (Read 7107 times)

I made this loading screen template (using blockland glass) for people that don't know how to do it. that is all i need to say.
Download Here!
Requirements: Blockland Glass
Instructions:
1. Download Blockland Glass and the Template and put it in your add-ons folder
2. Make or get the loading screen you want (i recommend having it at 1920x1080 pixels)
3. Upload it to imgur or another image uploading website. (if you upload it with imgur right click it and press Copy Image Address)
4. Open the Template zip and then open server.cs inside of it with any text editing software. (i reccomend notepad++)
5. Replace the text "URL" with the image link.
6. Profit

Credits:
Scout31 for making Blockland Glass
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 04:59:26 PM by yeTenszi »

I forgot to mention but the loading screen has to be PNG. If you don't wanna edit one thing.

5. Replace the text url with the image link.
Oh. So potentially I could just grab any .png link off the internet and use that?

Oh. So potentially I could just grab any .png link off the internet and use that?

yes.
this just makes it easier for the average blockland user to do that.

this wasn't needed.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 10:57:33 AM by Paperwork »

Every time you want to change your loading screen you have to exit blockland, go into the file and change the url.
When in glass's manual there's a console command that you can change while playing blockland.

Every time you want to change your loading screen you have to exit blockland, go into the file and change the url.
When in glass's manual there's a console command that you can change while playing blockland.
Console command?

yes.
this just makes it easier for the average blockland user to do that.

this wasn't needed.
I know it wasn't needed but it saves a lot of people from spamming the suggestions and requests

I know it wasn't needed but it saves a lot of people from spamming the suggestions and requests
Haven't seen anything about this in suggestions and requests.

We intentionally made this method not directly accessible because of the potential for abuse. We actually had a GUI ready for setting it up through server settings but decided against it. It's mainly intended for gamemodes and highly scripted servers.

This really doesn't even qualify as an add-on. It's a single line of non-runnable code that you intend people to change. They could just as easily insert this in to the console.

Haven't seen anything about this in suggestions and requests.

We intentionally made this method not directly accessible because of the potential for abuse. We actually had a GUI ready for setting it up through server settings but decided against it. It's mainly intended for gamemodes and highly scripted servers.

This really doesn't even qualify as an add-on. It's a single line of non-runnable code that you intend people to change. They could just as easily insert this in to the console.
when i posted it in the console it came out as an syntax error so i didn't think it was a console command

Quote from: Glass Manual
Loading Screens

Glass allows gamemode creators to set custom loading backgrounds for users loading their gamemode. Setup is quite simple:

registerLoadingScreen(%url, %fileType[, %crc]);

Calling this method inside your gamemode makes clients (who have loading backgrounds enabled) download the specified image URL. Any jpeg, png, or jpg image is supported. Note that Glass has to be running on the server.

%crc is an optional field allowing the client to cache your server's preview image. If a client already has the loading image with the given CRC downloaded, the image will load automatically without needing to be downloaded.

Example:

registerLoadingScreen("http://mysite.com/image.png", "png");

The background must be below 2MB in file size, or else it won't load!
This may help... I don't use custom loading screens when I host, so I'm not really much help here... but I'm offering help for others    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sounds more like a problem on your end than his. Why not make the player download the image from the server than from online? I can see why you say it has the potential for abuse, becuase players could link it to researchographic or gory images or gigantic image files for their server preview image, but really, isn't that for the owner of the server to decide? You can't moderate what people do on their own servers. Drama them if you wish, but don't try to tell players what server preview image they can and can't use because you may disagree with the content.

I partially agree; it belongs in general discussion probably. Since it is technically not an addon, moreso a guide of how to use a feature of blockland glass
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 07:38:51 AM by Planr »

Sounds more like a problem on your end than his. Why not make the player download the image from the server than from online?

Because you can't do that.

Sounds more like a problem on your end than his. Why not make the player download the image from the server than from online?
Because you can't do that.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 09:30:37 PM by yeTenszi »