Author Topic: how do i get good at building  (Read 1741 times)

Pretty much the title

You can link me guides
Or post tips
IDC really

Also i am not sure if this goes on here, suggestions and requests, help or gallery.

Look at other peoples builds, see how they do things, then go and build something using the information you gathered. After that look at your build and see what you can improve and what you can do to make it look better. Have people judge your builds too, so then you can get some outside input. Other than that, just build a lot and also try to do better than the last time you made something. Practice makes perfect

i want to start like a public building class but im not sure if i really have time or patience for it

Practice.
Choose something you want to build, pull up an image of it like concept art or real life images or something, and just start building and thinking about how you would replicate parts. Do it over and over, trying to make things you don't like better while trying to keep what looks good until you've got it down pat, then move on to the next thing and start practicing on how to do that. Eventually, you'll recognize building patterns or find ways to cut corners effectively and it'll look great.

Like AutoBahn said, I just practice my building skills. Practicing and adding more things to your buildings is a good start. Before, I was not even close to my level of skill I am in today, I can thank all of that to the inspiration from other player's and practice.

Steal ideas from other people's builds. Look at how they built it and try to do that yourself. Copy it from memory.

Learn how to build from a reference image.

Practice. Practice. Practice.

Learn how to build from a reference image.
This. Im not that good of a builder but thats mostly how i build.
Now days i just build my blocky terrain but my finished builds are either from reference or just from my head cause i was bored and started building something

honestly just straight up copy people's details and if anyone gets mad tell them to shut the forget up

honestly just straight up copy people's details and if anyone gets mad tell them to shut the forget up

me

Yea the best way is to take inspiration from others. I made an all default island if you need something to start off of.

1. Master the brick selector menu. Being competent with this GUI is an overlooked but extremely necessary skill. Get a comfortable system of favorites that you can flip between when you need bricks. Scrolling through the brick menu for a single brick you need is tedious. Get TMBI or infinite scrolling if you want.

2. Spend an unreasonably massive amount of time on everything you build. Look at every wall, floor, ceiling, doorway, piece of furniture and think, "How can I improve this?". Edit it, and then ask yourself, "How can I improve it even more?". Keep doing this until you can't think of any way to improve it. Do this for every single detail in your build. At first, this will be laborious and discouraging, but eventually you'll build up a visual library in your brain that can be quickly referenced, and these good styles will just incorporate themselves into your personal theme.

The goal isn't actually to be a great builder. Everyone thinks that being able to build something that doesn't look like total garbage is a magical skill that takes veterans 10+ years to master. It's not. If you spend 30 minutes building a box today, you will have made an incredibly above-average box. The actual goal is to learn how to build fast and maintain a good style, so that you don't get discouraged with your projects taking too long to complete.

3. That being said, get comfortable with the new duplicator and all it's features. There's a lot of clever functionality in that add-on that will cut the time required to do basic tasks down to "instantaneously".
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 01:15:12 AM by Rally »

don't... just save other people's builds and upload them onto your server.

dont be afraid to look at the way other people build. dont straight up copy their entire style, but much like anything else, you can use a design or try to create a similar design to a preexisting work to try to feel your ground

3. That being said, get comfortable with the new duplicator and all it's features. There's a lot of clever functionality in that add-on that will cut the time required to do basic tasks down to "instantaneously".

/fillbrick has made me an extremely lazy but efficient builder