blockland beta through v1.03

Author Topic: blockland beta through v1.03  (Read 12600 times)

this topic WAS going to be about the two odd changes i'm about to list, but me and vitawrap found something quite bigger, which is in the post after this.

when blockland retail first came out it was labelled v1. shortly after, v1.01, v1.02, v1.03 and v1.031 all came out.
although the installers for v1.01 and v1.031 cannot be found (found mac version of v1.031 though! (was v1.031 just a mac port?)), i have access to v1, v1.02 and v1.03 and between .02 and .03 are two weird changes which were kept right up until v20 without being fixed.
first weird change is this corner of the sink. in v1 to v1.02 this was actually fixed;

however, in v1.03, for some unknown reason, this weird tear had appeared.

and this weird tear had stayed until v21, where all interiors were removed entirely.

UPDATE: Tendon found more about this sink glitch, there appears to be a weird tear in the geometry of underneath the sink in this same area:
first image is v1, second is v1.03 - v20

and it's hollow:

second weird change:
remember this weird bug? where the actual 'hitbox' of when the main menu buttons change colour was way bigger then what they looked to be?

well guess what? it didn't occur in v1.02 and prior versions:

this is because in v1.02 and prior versions, the main menu button images were stretched weirdly, but in v1.03 badspot wanted to fix this for some reason but in the process he forgeted up the mouseover detection?
this is what the main menu looked like in v1.02 and prior versions, compared to v1.03 and all the way to the game now:

any other weird changes i find i will post in this topic.

edit: interesting bug fixed in v9 (?): the change map menu displays the wrong description for construct and kitchen:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 02:16:27 PM by K3k0m@n »

Old blockland beta pictures found
remember a super old topic discussing blockland's retail release back in 2005? where a beta user posted a bunch of screenshots of the beta to hype people for the retail release? well since then, since the pictures were hosted on returntoblockland.com, they were eventually taken down, but did anyone think to check the wayback machine? me and vitawrap have found this wayback machine link, containing all the images before they were deleted.
(i'd like to thank whoever saved these to the wayback machine way back in 2007)
I have put all the screenshots in this imgur album:
http://imgur.com/a/wuaxf
or, you could explore the original wayback machine entry, here: http://web.archive.org/web/20071013190720/http://www.blockland.us:80/smf/index.php?topic=7025.0
this shows us a lot of the development of blockland retail, and you can see how the version shown in the images is half v0002 and half retail, where some parts are kept from retail whilst others have been added for retail.
Old blockland beta saves
did you also know that someone released a pack of saves from the blockland beta? there are some good highlights here, such as the development of the mansion save, development of the kaje's castle save and much more, plus other saves that just never made it as retail default saves.
I've reuploaded the pack here, and i'l let you to find cool things and if you want, post them in this topic:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y1amioappnyiapf/betasaves.rar?dl=1

EDIT: i'l post some highlights of the beta saves here:
bedroom:
development of the mansion default save:

development of the facechild castle default save:

development of the kaje's castle default save:

old beta city:

other misc stuff:

kitchen:
horse race:

town:

misc stuff:

slopes (named as 'default' in the saves list?):

slate:
ice palace:

office block:

misc stuff:
]
on the save that has the very last picture (the board of different spray colours), there is also a massive line of print bricks:

this line of print bricks reads:
N.B.- WHEN A SPRAY IS RELEASED IN INTERMITTENT BURSTS IT DENOTES AN EMPHASIS ON THE MEANING. BUT IF THE ANGLE OF SPRAY IS GREATER THEN 90 DEGREES FROM THE FLOOR A SPIN OF SUBTLE SARCASM IS PLACED ON THE MEANING UNLESS THE SPRAYCAN-OPERATOR IS SPINNING IN A CIRCLE - IN WHICH CASE THE MEANING BECOMES NEGATIVE - UNLESS THE SPRAYCAN-OPERATOR IS HOPPING UP AND DOWN ON THE SPOT IN WHICH CASE THE MEANING OF THE WORD CHANGES TO THE NEXT COLOR THAT IS NEAREST TO THE COLOR OF THE OLD WORD ON A COLOR-WHEEL IN THE ANTI-CLOCKWISE DIRECTION. BUT ONLY ON THURSDAY.
a fantastic novel if you asked me.

the previews of these saves is also important, as it's more screenshots from the beta:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 02:19:13 PM by K3k0m@n »

something i should mention is: the shadows in the beta actually worked?
trogtor Did The Good
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 03:05:07 PM by K3k0m@n »

shadows appeared on bricks when you take screenshots. its always been like that before v21

neat find
i wonder how many videos of the old blockland were made, probably a longshot since any posted previously might be long gone now since archive.org doesn't download videos

where's that one video where a bunch of blockheads get trapped in the snow in a plane crash and it had that earrapey music playing in the background? Also it was shot in Bandicam.

in v1 (and prob a bunch of later versions?) emitters always came from the center of a brick

(don't mind the build it is not the love store it is Toys Store)

the hammer behaves weirdly in this version, if a brick is supported by the top and not the bottom, anything on that brick will delete instantly when you hammer that brick.
shown in this gif, the red 2x2f is the brick that's supporting the 2x16f brick, which has the green bricks on it.

why does it loo- oh i see

the blockhead can have a shadow but not the bricks

that quit button hitbox bug is actually pretty useful lol. i always just swipe my mouse down somewhere and click, don't have to go directly to the button.

Dammit im having nostalgia trips.
I miss the simple comedy and creativity of 2007 to 2009
Now we have stuffpost servers or really well built but 'safe investment' minigame locked servers. And the freebuild servers really never gain traction anymore. I wish there was a dedicated free build server maybe with a (pre-existing) discord. (*wink wink*)

Sorry about that, kinda liat focus, these changes are confusing, expecially the kitchen thing.

remember this weird bug? where the actual 'hitbox' of when the main menu buttons change colour was way bigger then what they looked to be?
not a bug but good ui design because players won't have to move their mouse all over the place to hit differently sized buttons

Looks like the poster in the bedroom had a different texture?