we're very close to playing "demo" files

Author Topic: we're very close to playing "demo" files  (Read 1648 times)

i was looking at gallery, swimming in 2007 nostalgia when i stumbled apon this topic
https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=25528.0
it contained a ".rec" file, and some instructions as to where to put it.
i created a "recordings" folder, put it in, and started blockland.
ofcourse i wasn't simply greeted with a "hey heres you're recording!!!" screen, so i decided to fiddle around with some console commands.
eventually i found "stopDemoRecord();", which opened a GUI, suprisingly.

great. it has a "play" button, too, so i pressed it and it actually started a singleplayer server
which, instantly crashed. why?

thats why. somethings wrong and for some reason the code wants "m.dtsttttotttttt" when it should be asking for "m.dts"
and whats "^se"? i dont know, but maybe one of you do.
it might not be possible to actually get this demo recording, but i'd like that we would atleast try.
we need to crack this ancient code

demo recordings have been broken in bl for over half a decade. you will need to go back to v8 or v7 to use the feature. iirc it used to have a button on the options menu or something to start a recording or look at your recordings, but since it was broken the buttons got removed.

does anyone else think that the title "nuclearrain" means it could be the artillery attack image
edit: no it's not i'm dumb and didn't read the thread
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 07:40:07 AM by Twix »

does anyone else think that the title "nuclearrain" means it could be the artillery attack image
the topic i linked actually shows 2 pictures of the recording, its not that at all
demo recordings have been broken in bl for over half a decade. you will need to go back to v8 or v7 to use the feature. iirc it used to have a button on the options menu or something to start a recording or look at your recordings, but since it was broken the buttons got removed.
i need to go to v8 then.
is there no way we can open the .rec file?
i just wanna play this recording more than anything now that i have it

the topic i linked actually shows 2 pictures of the recording, its not that at all
yeah i forgot to read the thread and didn't notice

http://old.block.land/

You need an older version of BL to play that.

what do recordings even do?

what do recordings even do?
Play back what happened in-game without actually starting a playable server.

It's like recording a video but you still have camera control.

It's actually more like a recording of received network messages. So the "replay" contains everything from downloading datablocks to moving around, and it doesn't work because badspot didn't care to record his custom things properly...

Why is this in off topic?

The thread doesn't deserve to be buried.

yeah i tried to play it in v8 it didnt work

how about v7? try uninstalling your current blockland, downloading v7, then you'll have a clean slate?

there is no v7 download

Play back what happened in-game without actually starting a playable server.

that actually sounds pretty dope