Is topaz from steven universe a male or female?

Author Topic: Is topaz from steven universe a male or female?  (Read 3584 times)

tony is le reddit memer of r/the_doland

also, from rebecca sugar herself: https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2e4gmx/i_am_rebecca_sugar_creator_of_steven_universe_and/cjw8e1p/

"Technically, there are no female Gems! There are only Gems!"

Then why do they call each other her

tf

tf
why not?

tf
imagine you're an alien and, because you look like a female, humans assume you are a female and call you "her"
now imagine these humans are who you learn english from. they probably haven't put too much thought into questioning why everyone refers to them as "her"

tf
because that's just how gems call each other by pronoun. i don't think it needs to be any deeper than that. if they were a real alien race they probably wouldn't speak english and they'd have their own verbal language for everything, but that'd be stupid in a show where a significant portion of screen time is devoted to dialogue between beings of that race. there was a tweet i think from matt burnett answering a question of why gems speak english that was basically "the same reason they speak chinese in the chinese release of the show," but i couldn't find it from a quick google search so i gave up

imagine you're an alien and, because you look like a female, humans assume you are a female and call you "her"
now imagine these humans are who you learn english from. they probably haven't put too much thought into questioning why everyone refers to them as "her"
gems on homeworld speak english, so i don't think this is a viable canon explanation, tho i don't think there is one anyways lol

they look like girls so they're addressed as girls, but in reality their species doesn't have different lovees
yes?

Someone told me that a made up alien pronoun would have made everything confusing.

But there is over 20 real gender neutral pronouns starting from A and ending to Zy.

this is literally just a topic for tony to "vent" about his hatred for social justice warriors disguised as a steven universe topic

gems on homeworld speak english, so i don't think this is a viable canon explanation, tho i don't think there is one anyways lol
yeah fair enough, though i feel like them speaking english is moreso just for viewer convenience

yeah fair enough, though i feel like them speaking english is moreso just for viewer convenience
how petty

they look like girls so they're addressed as girls, but in reality their species doesn't have different lovees
yes?
as far as the viewer is concerned, yes. ofc not all gems look traditionally feminine, like topaz, but steven universe exists in a universe where everyone magically knows how to refer to everyone through TV magic. for instance, stevonnie uses they/them pronouns (which makes sense since they're a fusion between a human male and female) and somehow everyone just knows that, even without knowledge that they're a fusion, even though they definitely look very hot feminine. it's just convenient for the viewers and makes things faster and avoids awkward scenes where people make casual conversation about what to call each other. sometimes you just gotta accept that some things are just the way they are because it makes it work better as an entertainment piece

ya it definitely is

who gives a richardens

they definitely look very hot feminine.
*snort*

he went and made 4 topics in one day, the absolute madman

god forbid he makes one with you around

OT: topaz is female

they're all female

they really limited themselves design-wise there

look the creator is su should be shot
problem solved