UK Election 2017 - ELECTION NIGHT

Author Topic: UK Election 2017 - ELECTION NIGHT  (Read 23069 times)

Once again the political sphere in the UK is reaching a boiling point.
Earlier in the year on April 18th 2017, a snap election was called by the current conservative government that will fall on June 8th 2017. This thread is a place for debate and discussion about the UK political system and news surrounding the election process.

I'll try to keep this as updated as I can, and will put resources at the bottom for people who are interested in finding out more.

Underneath are the top priorities of some of the key parties. Click on the banner underneath to be taken to the BBC website to see more.

• Deliver a smooth and orderly departure
    from the EU
  • Increase NHS budget in England by £8bn
    a year by 2022/23
  • An extra £4bn on schools in England by
  • Restating commitment to bring net
    migration down to tens of thousands
  • Balance budget by 2025
  • Replacement of triple-lock pension pledge
    after 2020 with double lock

• Bring an end to austerity and invest heavily
    in public services
  • Negotiate a Brexit deal that "puts the
    economy and living standards first"
  • Nationalise a number of utilities including
    rail, post, water and the National Grid
  • Increase taxation on business and the
    highest paid
  • Invest in the British economy through a
    £250bn stimulus package
  • Abolish tuition fees for university students
    in England

• End austerity and release £120bn for UK-wide public spending over next parliament
  • Hold a second independence referendum “at the end of the Brexit process”
  • Protect Scotland’s place in the EU single market
  • Raise the minimum wage to more than £10 per hour by 2021/22
  • Call on the new UK government to increase health spending per head of population in England to the current Scottish level, which is 7% higher
  • Support an increase across the UK in the Additional Rate of income tax - for those earning more than £150,000 - from 45p to 50p

• Hold a referendum on the final Brexit deal, with the option to remain in the EU
  • Add 1p to income tax to fund the NHS and social care
  • Rule out coalitions with the Conservatives or Labour – but want to make the Liberal Democrats the official opposition
  • Increase spending on early years, schools and colleges in England
  • Reverse some benefits cuts

• Hold a referendum on the terms of the Brexit deal, with the option of staying in the EU
  • Pass an Environment Protection Act to safeguard and restore the environment
  • Provide more money for public services
  • Move towards a four-day working week and "universal basic income"
  • Scrap tuition fees and fund full student grants

• Complete the Brexit process by 2019, without paying money to the EU
  • Restore "complete control" of UK's maritime exclusive economic zone
  • Cut net migration levels to zero within five years by almost halving immigration into the UK
  • Unskilled and low-skilled labour banned for five years, and skilled workers and students would need visas
  • Slash the foreign aid budget and spend it on domestic priorities like the NHS
  • Ban Sharia courts and the wearing of face coverings in public places

For some more details, you can visit the BBC's Election 2017 page to keep up with news surrounding it.

And if you're unaware of how the UK's political system works or are completely unaware of why all of this happening, you can visit a fantastic Youtube channel, ArguingFromIgnorance. He does unbiased breakdown videos on several topics, but more specifically he has a series currently going all about the election itself.

Will maybe add a news section at some point and a couple other bits, but thought it would be good to get the thread out there so a sphere of discussion can begin! If you have any suggestions of things to add please feel free to mention it in a reply and I'll see what I can do.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 05:11:45 PM by Jam_Jar »

theresa may, because loving ivory

labour is run by a delusional communist who fantasizes about hamas carrying him into the sunset

liberal democrat party seems pretty solid. do they have any chance in hell, though?

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/theresa-may-internet-conservatives-government-a7744176.html
if i were a european she'd lose my vote for this alone
We risked our Internet in the states to defeat the bullstuff that The Left and the Democrats were doing, The least the average brit could do is show the same courage.

Unfortunatly, Labour or Conservative, Democrat or Republican, Nothing will stop starfishs from trying to control the internet for their perspective ,holier than though, view point.
Authoritarians are Authoritarians, whether they be Conservative or Labour, Democrat or Republican.

We risked our Internet in the states to defeat the bullstuff that The Left and the Democrats were doing, The least the average brit could do is show the same courage.
the democrats did something to our internet? when did this happen

no hes saying "we" risked (and lost) net neutrality and whatnot to avoid whatever horrible scary things he expected democrats to do

he's talking about our friend Jack Dorsey

no hes saying "we" risked (and lost) net neutrality and whatnot to avoid whatever horrible scary things he expected democrats to do
Hillary was definitely going to get us all loving killed, and I will not forget or forgive the day that Obama signed away to internet, sad.

Hillary was definitely going to get us all loving killed, and I will not forget or forgive the day that Obama signed away to internet, sad.
Okay, now you're just being facetious.

labour is run by a delusional communist who fantasizes about hamas carrying him into the sunset

Tories want to fund more UK-backed, Saudi-led bombing campaigns in the Middle East, what's your point

So if it's going to come down to "lesser of two evils" I will at least support the guy who doesn't want to deny people social services

Hillary was definitely going to get us all loving killed
And Annoying Orange is Riddler. dont worry i understand, we're all definitely within our limits to make things up as we please

and I will not forget or forgive the day that Obama signed away to internet, sad.
isnt net neutrality a good thing or does everything obama do trigger an instant panic mode in your libertarian brain