INHUMAN Rebooted — Chapter 1: A Common Cause

Author Topic: INHUMAN Rebooted — Chapter 1: A Common Cause  (Read 129258 times)

"So to clarify, as far as you know, no one is in there at this moment?  Is that correct?"
     Daniel turned to face the building, eyeing it up and down carefully and looking for any evidence that someone was currently inside.

Character:
Name: Nevada Langley
Physical Description:

Nevada stands at about 5’5 with a medium build for her size. She has fair skin and her eyes are a dark green. Her hair is brown and typically cut to medium length, sometimes she will tie it up into a ponytail. She usually dresses to blend in with the typical urban dweller walking on the street, though that might be more influenced by how she lives. She does have a bit of a preference for light jackets.

Quote from: Inventory
Pockets: Wallet, $1300 AURD (on hand; electronic assets are ~$200k AURD but not immediately accessible, darn 10 AURD: 1 USD exchange rate), Surgical Gloves
Backpack: PD-9 Pistol, Combat First Aid Kit, Cell Phone.
Weapons: PD-9 Pistol
Body Modification: N/A
Short backstory:

Nevada worked at a firm responsible for the design and maintenance of augmentations. Although her specialty is in biomedical engineering, she has worked on the technician side when the firm was short-handed. She used to have a close friend that worked with her at the firm. They had both attended the same schools and were roommates for a few years, before her friend had gotten a black-market neural augmentation to take on more work. This led to her friend’s untimely death, likely due to the less-than-legitimate sourcing of the augmentation. Rather than continuing on and leaving the issue alone, she has decided to seek out the doctor, maybe to exact revenge, or to just stop him for good.

Nevada is just sitting on a bench with her backpack and equipment, waiting for someone from the gang to arrive at the meeting point.

Ryde nods to Elena. "Well, lets go in and investigate."

"So to clarify, as far as you know, no one is in there at this moment?  Is that correct?"
     Daniel turned to face the building, eyeing it up and down carefully and looking for any evidence that someone was currently inside.

"There should not be anyone in the building, the doctor who was working out of it has apparently moved on. I don't have the sensing you do though, you could make sure, but we shouldn't be getting ambushed. I'll stay out here and watch the bike and the car,"

Elena takes an earpiece out of her pocket.

"Go ahead and take this, I'll let you know if anything happens,"

She begins addressing the group.

"Also, never mind what I said about crime kits, if you find something that could have fingerprints or DNA it could be useful, but it'll cost a fortune in time and money for me to find a dirty cop or someone experienced enough to brown townyze it. Please don't stab yourself with a needle. Any other questions?"

"Can't say; Elena does most of the networking. I can say that it's rare that I get two contacts on the same day."

Norum snaps back to the phone as Elena's message comes in, reading it over before speaking again, line still open. "Hey, you got a pickup location?"

You receive a location through text.

"She should be waiting. Let me know how it goes,"

Nevada knows of Elena, and that a man named Norum will be meeting her to discuss the surgeon she is looking for.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 11:04:12 PM by Mr. Hurricane »

Daniel took the earpiece and shook his head, indicating that he did not have any more questions.  He put the earpiece in his ear and made sure it was snug before approaching the building.  He put a hand to the wall and worked his magic, searching for anything of interest inside of the building.

Norum checks the location on his phone and looks it over for a second, mapping out the subway routes in his head.

"Hey Brooklyn, we're going to Sharpton South" he says, eyeing the street signs while putting his phone away, looking eager to get moving.

Ryde puts the earpiece in his ear and shakes his head as Daniel does. He then approaches the building and starts searching around.

Norum checks the location on his phone and looks it over for a second, mapping out the subway routes in his head.

"Hey Brooklyn, we're going to Sharpton South" he says, eyeing the street signs while putting his phone away, looking eager to get moving.
"Alright I'm game. Let's get this new guy then." Brooklyn quickly looks down the street in both directions, eyeing from the street to the tops of buildings. "I've got some questions along the way if we can ever discuss them discreetly too."

"Alright I'm game. Let's get this new guy then." Brooklyn quickly looks down the street in both directions, eyeing from the street to the tops of buildings. "I've got some questions along the way if we can ever discuss them discreetly too."
"Seems like another lady, actually. Seems like this fauxsician is an equal-opportunity starfish. Makes me pissed to think of how many people he's screwed over." He ends sternly with a grunt before straightening his hat and outer jacket.

"Come this way." Norum begins walking down the street to the left, changing course so as not to bump into any pedestrians sharing the sidewalk. He arrives at a crosswalk, the signal lit to display that it's clear to cross. Norum then steps out into the road to cross, makes it to the other side and continues straight ahead to the subway station ahead.

While climbing down the stairs carefully due to the rain, he takes out his wallet and takes out a subway pass and taps it on to a black scanning pad, which then chimes the "Cleared for Entry" sound and unlocks the turnstile ahead. He walks through and after navigating a small route of tiled tunnels and stairways occasionally marked with graffiti from a permanent black marker, arriving at a sparsely-populated platform with no train waiting.

Norum finds a clean bench some distance off the the right and sits down, waiting for Nevada to arrive.

Brooklyn follows Norum the whole way, eventually pulling up her hood at the annoying rain. As Norum stops in front of a bench she finally takes it down and looks about, scanning the platform. As he sits she follows suit beside him.
She leans over toward him quietly asking, "Do you have any details on who we'll be looking for besides she's a woman?"

"Limited. Elena is on the scene and the contact as likely made recently; she gave me a name and a location."

Brooklyn feels he air begin to slowly move from her right to her left, then hear a subway train moving over rails.

"As far as your earlier question, there's not too many people here now, but we're going to be approaching the North Loop1 and the Bay Bend areas, meaning that we have limited time to talk about what you probably want to talk about."

The wind is moving faster, light of the train's headlights is beginning to enter, and the train is getting louder and closer.

"Shoot, it's about time now."

Nevada gets up from the bench and collects her things before walking to the meeting location at a brisk pace. She checks her phone again as she comes up to a closed bakery. Even though the store is closed at the moment, there are tables and chairs on a partially enclosed patio. The inside of this space does look like a greenhouse, with various plants grown inside.

Nevada takes a seat near the entrance to the enclosure, watching people pass by as she waits.

"I don't know, it's just obviously the details had to be ambiguous when I was contacting your little group here. I don't even know specifically what I need to know, it's just that I'd like to learn whatever you're willing to tell a newcomer."

As the sound gets louder she sits up straight again to wait for the train to come by.

Norum stands up as the train enters the station hands at his sides as he eyes the train cars, glancing over the ones filled with people and seeming to linger more on the sparsely-populated ones.

Using the noise of the train as cover, he speaks up, getting quieter as the train slows down "I'll tell you this. The Doctor is elusive—moves around a lot. Elena and I have been on his trail for around two years. Today, we are investigating some practitioner's abandoned office; could be him, could not be—I personally think not because leaving that behind would be beyond careless."

As the train comes to a stop, Norum focuses in on a car nearby which seems populated by a few passengers, then begins walking toward it, motioning for Brooklyn to follow, the doors opening shortly before they arrive. Norum enters and picks a corner of the train furthest from the other passengers.

The rest of the group moves to the structure. The building is in better condition than its neighbors, though that's not saying much. Some other buildings have had their ground floors converted to storefronts. This structure is three stories tall. The pitched roof has been removed from the building in favor of a rooftop terrace with an add-on structure, making it about four stories. A rear entrance is not immediately apparent. The windows are cracked but remain in their frames. There are windows on the ground level, that are accessible.

Daniel took the earpiece and shook his head, indicating that he did not have any more questions.  He put the earpiece in his ear and made sure it was snug before approaching the building.  He put a hand to the wall and worked his magic, searching for anything of interest inside of the building.

You get a good look on a foyer area and a tight stairwell heading upstairs, as well as a what was once a living room, still furnished. Towards the back of the structure you can faintly make out table and a few chairs, a couple broken. No sign of anything significant in the ground floor that is visible to your remote sensing capability.

Ryde puts the earpiece in his ear and shakes his head as Daniel does. He then approaches the building and starts searching around.

There is little you can deduce from the facade of the building you see before you. Down the block there is an alleyway some ways away. This building lacks the fire escapes that a few of the other structures have, however it is in decrepit condition.