Poll

stick shift or automatic

stick shift
30 (69.8%)
automatic
13 (30.2%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: stick shift or automatic  (Read 1800 times)

im looking at damiens thread on getting a manual evo and i need the audience opinion

also i wanna get into driving next yearish and i wonder what i should get as a first car and if it should be stick or not

I have to learn stick shift so obviously I'll prefer it over automatic

the benefit of knowing stick is that you can drive manual and automatic since your license probably covers it

pros of manual:
makes you look cool
becomes second nature if you keep at it
gives you more control over the car
less maintenance
keeps you more focused

pros of automatic:
less effort to use
sucking titty is easier cause you dont have to shift as often so you can lean over
becomes second nature easily

Depends, for puny suburban compacts I'd pick auto, but if I was to use a workhorse truck or off road it would be manual

Most stick shift drivers I know are pretentious as hell and stuffs on people who drive automatics. Go with the automatic. Plus there's not too much of an advantage of stick besides a few extra miles to the gallon.

yeah stick shifts are cool and all if you're into that but if you have to commute more than half a mile to work every single day you're going to want an automatic for daily use

pros of paddle shifting.

no clutch, can up/downshift instantly and perfectly, jump as many gears as you want without effort.
even better perfornance:time than automatic.

pros of automatic:
sucking titty is easier cause you dont have to shift as often so you can lean over
most important one

So automatic or standard...

manual all the way, automatics are for lazy people and they lack acceleration compared to a  manual.

plus heel to toe

my "daily" is an auto but that's just because it's a 5000 pound luxury that never had a manual option my "fun" car, which i've been driving a lot more as of lately, is a manual.

manual all the way, automatics are for lazy people and they lack acceleration compared to a  manual.

plus heel to toe
<3

personally I would prefer stick shift because I would like to get into performance driving but auto is probably better for the daily commute

what kinda car u want as a first

like cool sports or averagenormalcar or something inbetween?

cuz the neon srt4 is a good option they're cheap and fast