Question about JVS

Author Topic: Question about JVS  (Read 1264 times)

I've noticed that there are more add-on doors that are using the default door system, like TheArmyGuy's, and I hear from certain people that JVS isn't a good thing to really have anymore. Why is this?

badspot made a post about it

i dunno where it is but basically it uses a preposterous amount of events it lags the server and has bad sound effects
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 03:14:08 PM by The Resonte! »

Problems with JVS doors:

• 16 events to open a goddamn door.
  • stuffty AIM sounds
  • Ego-wank "jvs" tab instead of being in the special/interactive tab where they belong
  • Ass-backwards-as-forget loop structure that causes the brick loading times to increase for all bricks for each jvs door that you have installed.  If you have 50 JVS doors installed, you're looking at a 10x increase in loading times.  This alone is reason to remove it from the game permanently.  I regret not CRC failing when I discovered this issue years ago. 
  • Overly complicated door blocking system that requires a taxing container radius search every time someone opens a door.  Door disabling can easily be implemented via toggleEventEnabled or setRayCastingEnabled.
  • Overly complicated ID restriction system that serves no purpose except providing yet another way for power starved pre-teens to give themselves special privileges over other users so they can have some semblance of empowerment in their otherwise impotent lives.

system_legacydoors is default, though, so presumably that's okay to use.
I recommend picking up system_legacydoors_extended though because there are some exploits and stuff with the normal legacydoors thing.

Badspot may see the "16 events" thing as a down fall, but I felt these options made JVS much more open and inviting for creative eventing.

I recommend picking up system_legacydoors_extended though because there are some exploits and stuff with the normal legacydoors thing.
What kind of exploits...

What kind of exploits...
Ghost bricks have collision. This can be a problem in cityRPGs or servers where you can build but dont want people to go too high for whatever reason.
I once did it myself to scale a skyscraper in a cityRPG, then I used it as a platform to walk around in the sky.
https://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=303667.0