BLIVE 1.0.0 [UNDER CONSTRUCTION]

Author Topic: BLIVE 1.0.0 [UNDER CONSTRUCTION]  (Read 16409 times)

gonna update it ok itll be better than it used to be ok thx now go to the latest reply and start stuffposting boi

blive
blive is a blockland file hosting database.  it is currently undergoing massive functional and cosmetic refinements and will eventually be publicly available.  it is currently in the UNDER CONSTRUCTION phase and will eventually be moved to the BUG TESTING phase.
a hyperlink will be added once it is ready for public use.  any and all questions/criticisms are available.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 03:34:16 PM by theviacom »

shouldnt you work out the site and features before having people upload things? the fact you havent fully settled on a site design means that any addons uploaded now will either have broken pages later, or not use features you are still in the process of implementing

also anon posting removes accountability which may be a problem if something malicious turns up that bypasses admin review

the site design is pretty good, takes nearly an instant to load for me while blockland glass is about a second

the site design is pretty good, takes nearly an instant to load for me while blockland glass is about a second
probably cause glass has images in the webpage while this is pure css/html. not a bad thing, just different design philosophies

shouldnt you work out the site and features before having people upload things? the fact you havent fully settled on a site design means that any addons uploaded now will either have broken pages later, or not use features you are still in the process of implementing

also anon posting removes accountability which may be a problem if something malicious turns up that bypasses admin review

The basic site functionality is already in place.  Anything extra will be added later.  I don't really care about the actual UI as long as it's tolerable (But I care a hell of a lot about UX).

If something malicious comes up, I will either find it or people will complain about it in the requests page (or simply private message me on Discord directly).  You are right that there is no accountability that is possible, but if I learn how, I could try to implement an IP tracker so we could just ban repeat offenders.

probably cause glass has images in the webpage while this is pure css/html. not a bad thing, just different design philosophies

Glass has an immense amount of CSS and scripts that have been written to load, in addition to having a few images.  Conan's very right, because this is literally pure CSS and HTML beyond images that will be used as icon and whatever addon makers load.

Why did you make a new topic ...?

Why did you make a new topic ...?

I made this one because I hated how I executed the previous one.  It was a completely unpolished mess, and if there were a thread deletion feature, I would have deleted it.

You want to avoid having user accounts, but want to add seperate passwords for each add-on so the user can update/edit their add-on? What.
The download button for the client doesn't work even though the changelog says it does.

I get that you don't want to use much css and no images, so you should at least alphabetize the board list.

Not sure why you think just making a new topic and releasing a new version will make things go bug free and smooth.

You want to avoid having user accounts, but want to add seperate passwords for each add-on so the user can update/edit their add-on? What.
The download button for the client doesn't work even though the changelog says it does.

I get that you don't want to use much css and no images, so you should at least alphabetize the board list.

Not sure why you think just making a new topic and releasing a new version will make things go bug free and smooth.

Having a user account system means that you can't be anonymous, and I want to give users the ability to be anonymous if they want to.  Having a system of addon passwords is a good compromise between being able to actually CONTROL an addon while not having an account to associate them with.

I will alphabetize the board list.

I also don't think it'll make it go bug free and smooth.  I just think that this thread looks better.

I also have been updating the Download page.  Try it at the time of reading this response to your post on the thread.  It should work.

I also don't think it'll make it go bug free and smooth.  I just think that this thread looks better.
There's an edit button, you can use that to make your threads look better. Making a new thread for every change will just spam up the board.
It looks like this , and it's above your post. Otherwise you can use which is below your post.

I want something I could just dump my entire add-ons folder into. Something to archive every add-on ever to be made for blockland. Like one of those RTB archives but on steroids.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 03:50:47 PM by Crispy_ »

Having a user account system means that you can't be anonymous, and I want to give users the ability to be anonymous if they want to.  Having a system of addon passwords is a good compromise between being able to actually CONTROL an addon while not having an account to associate them with.
what about having an account makes you not anonymous? its not like you're enforcing users to use the same name as their bl forum account or ingame name...

all it does is making associating a bad history with a certain uploader easier. also its far easier to lose control of an addon/guess passwords to an addon (for people who dont care about protecting their addon and some skid wants to replace an addon with a malicious version) vs one account with one password which you can block login attempts if its spammed

There's an edit button, you can use that to make your threads look better. Making a new thread for every change will just spam up the board.
It looks like this , and it's above your post. Otherwise you can use which is below your post.

I want something I could just dump my entire add-ons folder into. Something to archive every add-on ever to be made for blockland. Like one of those RTB archives but on steroids.

I know that I can simply modify it, but that's 256+ people who are NEVER coming back to the thread ever again.  That's a lot of lost impressions and possible userbase.

"I want something I could just dump my entire add-ons folder into. Something to archive every add-on ever to be made for blockland. Like one of those RTB archives but on steroids."

You can dump your addons folder here if you want.  But no addon archive lasts forever.  RTB didn't.  Glass won't.  Mine won't.

what about having an account makes you not anonymous? its not like you're enforcing users to use the same name as their bl forum account or ingame name...

all it does is making associating a bad history with a certain uploader easier. also its far easier to lose control of an addon/guess passwords to an addon (for people who dont care about protecting their addon and some skid wants to replace an addon with a malicious version) vs one account with one password which you can block login attempts if its spammed

"making associating a bad history with a certain uploader easier"

This is creating an identity, which violates being anonymous.  Also, it's someone's fault if they lose control because of coming up with a bad password (assuming I implement the password) system, provided they don't use a SHA-256 generator or something.  I CAN talk to a person if they lose their addon over Discord or something and modify it in the database for them to use.

users who upload addons will probably reuse passwords anyways, tbh, and you'd be able to identify them through that. and just cause you create an account doesnt mean you lose anonymity; does you having a forum account mean that everyone here can always definitively identify you ingame (excluding blid association)? barebone username/password accounts wont allow anyone to identify them, and the purposes of that is purely so if someone does something bad you know what else to check, or can easily purge all their uploaded addons instead of having users report in constantly about bad addons being left up

i get that its more anonymous but what do legitimate addon makers have to benefit from such extreme anonymity

also making a new topic with same name doesnt draw back the same users lol

users who upload addons will probably reuse passwords anyways, tbh, and you'd be able to identify them through that. and just cause you create an account doesnt mean you lose anonymity; does you having a forum account mean that everyone here can always definitively identify you ingame (excluding blid association)? barebone username/password accounts wont allow anyone to identify them, and the purposes of that is purely so if someone does something bad you know what else to check, or can easily purge all their uploaded addons instead of having users report in constantly about bad addons being left up

i get that its more anonymous but what do legitimate addon makers have to benefit from such extreme anonymity

also making a new topic with same name doesnt draw back the same users lol

The point of anonymity is to have any identity you want, IF you want.  If you get embarrassed over uploading a bad addon, you can just change the name you use when you upload next time instead of registering a whole new account or asking for it to get deleted.  It's just a weird ideal.  I will consider making an account system in the future.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 04:23:34 PM by theviacom »

fair enough. i guess the way it is now is fine.