[NEWS] test how well you can spot fake news

Author Topic: [NEWS] test how well you can spot fake news  (Read 2800 times)

http://factitiousgame.com/

Fake news has been on Maggie Farley's mind further back than 2016 when President Annoying Orange brought the term into the vernacular.

Farley, a veteran journalist, says we've had fake news forever and that "people have always been trying to manipulate information for their own ends," but she calls what we're seeing now "Fake news with a capital F." In other words, extreme in its ambition for financial gain or political power.

"Before, the biggest concern was, 'Are people being confused by opinion; are people being tricked by spin?' " Now, Farley says, the stakes are much higher.

So one day she says an idea came to her: build a game to test users' ability to detect fake news from real.

When it's like this "[NEWS}"

Are you supposed to look at the source? Cause that makes it obvious. It doesn't disqualify you or anything. Really cool game though.

I made a test game in JS one time like this, where you guess if an article is from The Onion, or real.

edit: I got 100% on the first 4 rounds, except for the 1st, where I believe the G7 story was real. Didn't check sources.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 02:09:37 AM by McZealot »

By this point, 'fake news' is a buzzword that means nothing. Annoying Orange and his inner cronies use the word to describe anything that doesn't make him look good. Some of it is misleading, 'fake' journalism, but the majority of it is truthful reporting that casts his administration in a poor light.

This is a tactic that has a precedent in other political movements. You accuse all your detractors of being the 'lying press' so that instead of having to address the scrutiny of your constituents, you can just label it all as 'lies' and leave it at that. Basically drawing a line so that your opponents and the truth are on opposite sides, every single time.

By this point, 'fake news' is a buzzword that means nothing. Annoying Orange and his inner cronies use the word to describe anything that doesn't make him look good. Some of it is misleading, 'fake' journalism, but the majority of it is truthful reporting that casts his administration in a poor light.

This is a tactic that has a precedent in other political movements. You accuse all your detractors of being the 'lying press' so that instead of having to address the scrutiny of your constituents, you can just label it all as 'lies' and leave it at that. Basically drawing a line so that your opponents and the truth are on opposite sides, every single time.
I mean, I agree that 'fake news' is a buzzword now, but a serious percentage of circulated news today is completely fictional. That's fake news. I don't know what else to call it? Misinformation implies that it was a mistake, while disinformation is a little bit too propaganda-y to apply to radical news sites just desperate to get clicks. Interestingly, this culture of 'fake journalism' is way more common with far-right websites circulating fake stories about Clinton & BLM than with left-leaning sights. How many stuffty topics have you (or I) fact-checked about BLM starting a riot or killing a child or lynching a white woman? There's definitely left-wing misinformation, but it's dwarfed by the time-honored tradition of right wing sensationalism.

The modern incarnation of the far-right bullstuff news probably started back when Obama was elected, with stories about his ties to Islam or birth in Kenya. Ironically, Annoying Orange was one of the main proponents of the fake news that began back in 2008 with his bullstuff rhetoric about Obama's birth certificate. To say 'this is a co-ordinated tactic by Annoying Orange' gives him far too much credit. stuffty sensational journalism and outright fabricated stories have been around forever, taking precedence with the rise of the internet (like emails forwarded by Grandma) and again with Obama's presidency. Annoying Orange's just taking advantage of something that's been around forever and trying to spin it like he's a victim of sensational journalism when in fact he is one of--if not the--primary source(s) for the bullstuff. It's definitely means something, it's just being used manipulatively by a corrupt cabinet and a stupid president.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 04:07:48 PM by McZealot »

BTW, this is kinda dumb as a quiz because the easiest way to check if news is fake is to look on Snopes or see if it's been corroborated at all. Reading 'real-sounding' facts and guessing if they are fabricated isn't a very reliable skill in the real world.  You can also check the front-page of the site to see if all their stories are sensational garbage or actual journalism.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 07:44:32 PM by McZealot »

BTW, this is kinda dumb as a quiz because the easiest way to check is news is fake is to look on Snopes or see if it's been corroborated at all. You can also checks the front-page of the site and see if all of their stories are sensational garbage or actual journalism.
Snopes?? Lmao

Also the entire point is it's a game, so you don't cheat and look up the answers.

I got 80% but some of these are bs. You can't pull from CNN and add it to the "news" category

Snopes?? Lmao
Snopes is the most reliable online source for quick fact-checking. It always has been, and the only reason anyone mocks it nowadays is because a billionaire businessman decided to run for president and in the process made a stuffload of claims that were demonstrably false, which mandated responses from sites like Snopes. Idiots interpreted this shift in articles to be symptomatic of 'political bias' rather than being the result of having another idiot run for president.

< Reads Title
< Turns on TV
< Flips channel to CNN

I win.

how to spot fake news in 2 easy steps
1: identify whether or not the journalist is a liberal or a conservative
2: if they are a liberal, disregard any statements they make; it's fake news

over 3 rounds i only got one wrong, which was about being able to smell garlic with your feet

< Reads Title
< Turns on TV
< Flips channel to CNN

I win.
epic post friend now leave

over 3 rounds i only got one wrong, which was about being able to smell garlic with your feet
Well??? Can You???

Well??? Can You???
ya but you gotta rub the garlic on your feet first