why have data caps been the feat for many isps these past few years?

Author Topic: why have data caps been the feat for many isps these past few years?  (Read 2671 times)

That way you can make more $$$.

Just monopolization and whatnot.

Oh. I see you guys are late. Canada has been doing this for a long time now.
Literally what are you talking about none of the big companies here in my province of 1.3 million people force you to have a data cap
Even bell mts, the biggest, stufftiest telecom conglomerate in the province doesn't have a single plan with a data cap

OT though: ISPs like to have closed door meetings about how they can collectively jack up prices and save tiny scraps of cash at the detriment of the consumer.
Data caps is just another one of those things that they've all agreed to do to keep competition stifled amongst themselves.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 04:13:36 PM by Ipquarx »

Bandwidth is loving expensive for companies

not really. they just know you have no choice.

Same reason as XBox Live. You can just get money for free.

apparently some people say this happened because of netflix. since most isps have cable packages, they're punishing you for streaming by imposing fees if you go over your limit. they're trying to get their money back for less people subscribing to cable.

Literally what are you talking about none of the big companies here in my province of 1.3 million people force you to have a data cap
Even bell mts, the biggest, stufftiest telecom conglomerate in the province doesn't have a single plan with a data cap

OT though: ISPs like to have closed door meetings about how they can collectively jack up prices and save tiny scraps of cash at the detriment of the consumer.
Data caps is just another one of those things that they've all agreed to do to keep competition stifled amongst themselves.
Where are you living? In Ontario, Cogeco has been the biggest ISP, at least in my area, and didn't even offer unlimited at all until recently. Rogers hasn't provided here for a long while. And Start is new, was offering unlimited at $15/m at first then made it free. Once they started offering free unlimited, Cogeco started at least offering it at an additional charge.

Cogeco also pulls shady stuff like "Oh your cap is 500 GB, and it's $1 per x bandwidth over your usage! But it's limited to an extra $50 (or something like that) so we don't end up over billing you!"
Rarely went over.
Suddenly they remove the 'fee limit' and without using any extra, we're suddenly using like 2 TB, owing more than triple our bill a month. They refused to send any technicians or at least think about checking to see if there was a problem on their end. They just insisted that we're using too much.

cogeco is the canadian version of comcast

Cogeco also pulls shady stuff like "Oh your cap is 500 GB, and it's $1 per x bandwidth over your usage! But it's limited to an extra $50 (or something like that) so we don't end up over billing you!"
Rarely went over.
Suddenly they remove the 'fee limit' and without using any extra, we're suddenly using like 2 TB, owing more than triple our bill a month. They refused to send any technicians or at least think about checking to see if there was a problem on their end. They just insisted that we're using too much.
I've never had anything like this happen to me in my 6 years of being with Cogeco.  You might actually be using terabytes of data and not knowing it.

My suggestion to you is to monitor your network traffic.  Router firmwares like DD-WRT have this capability running stock, and there are existing user-scripts that monitor how much data individual MAC addresses are using.
Even if it's not to solve the problem, it's nice to have assurance (and proof) that you're not actually using that much data.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 06:35:41 PM by KoopaScooper »

Where are you living?
Manitoba
My point was just, no, this is not a "canada" thing, please don't make people think our selection is THAT stuffty, because it's not nearly as bad as the US.
It's still horrible, but the US is on a whole other level of horridness.

I've never had anything like this happen to me in my 6 years of being with Cogeco.  You might actually be using terabytes of data and not knowing it.

My suggestion to you is to monitor your network traffic.  Router firmwares like DD-WRT have this capability running stock, and there are existing user-scripts that monitor how much data individual MAC addresses are using.
Even if it's not to solve the problem, it's nice to have assurance (and proof) that you're not actually using that much data.
I've already switched to Start years ago and haven't had an issue at all with them. I've known other people having issues with Cogeco too.

Manitoba
My point was just, no, this is not a "canada" thing, please don't make people think our selection is THAT stuffty, because it's not nearly as bad as the US.
It's still horrible, but the US is on a whole other level of horridness.
Yeah, fair point.

Basically there are data caps and other BS fees because internet cables are an expensive investment and ISPs are often local monopolies. What this means is that for an ISP to break-even, they really need to be concerned about trying to squeeze as much profit from their business as they can. This is aided by the fact they're a monopoly a lot of the time, which means instead of charging internet at the market equilibrium price, they set their prices at the value that maximizes their profit, which is usually exorbitant and unfair.

I'm not gonna go off on a tangent here, but this is why net neutrality and similar policies are so important. And why you really forgeted yourself if you value the internet and simultaneously supported people who wanted to scrap these safeguards. Not directed at hillkill but just people in general.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 09:36:32 PM by SeventhSandwich »

if you oppose net neutrality, is that supporting the idea of paying more on your bill to access certain websites? i'm kind of uneducated on this whole issue.

if you oppose net neutrality, is that supporting the idea of paying more on your bill to access certain websites? i'm kind of uneducated on this whole issue.
Not exactly like that but that's pretty much the end result, so yeah.

gives ISP's the freedom to block or throttle whatever sites they want.
but yeah the key factor is that some will scum it up and make websites like youtube for example either a payed package or throttle its bandwidth to save a few bucks.